Tracheotomy Problems

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I am really starting to hate tracheotomies. Nowadays, they are giving more people tracheotomies. Apparently they are not educating people on the proper care of tracheotomies (cleaning and replacing) or people are just too lazy to care for themselves. With the humidity, I must have gotten 10 trach calls last week, 2 of which were real emergencies! Whats going on?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Guardian said:
I am really starting to hate tracheotomies. Nowadays, they are giving more people tracheotomies. Apparently they are not educating people on the proper care of tracheotomies (cleaning and replacing) or people are just too lazy to care for themselves. With the humidity, I must have gotten 10 trach calls last week, 2 of which were real emergencies! Whats going on?
I hate transporting trach patients, simply because I don't have enough experience with them.

OP
OP
G

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
MMiz said:
I hate transporting trach patients, simply because I don't have enough experience with them.

A lot of what I know, I had to teach myself or learn in the field. There definitely needs to be more ems education on this topic as well.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Guardian said:
A lot of what I know, I had to teach myself or learn in the field. There definitely needs to be more ems education on this topic as well.
I'm totally embarrassed by my lack of trach treatment and maintenance knowledge. It was never a big deal when I'd work my midnight shift, but working the day shift I can vividly remember my frustration when dealing with trach patients.

My day partners knew far more simply because they were in the field longer. We always agreed that it was something that was picked up with time, but I still don't feel comfortable with trach patients.

Their needs, noises, and mannerisms all seem so weird to me. I can't stand suctioning them, which we always do, because I'm not sure how far is too far.

Yeah, so there ya go, my insecurities with trachs.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
MMiz said:
I'm totally embarrassed by my lack of trach treatment and maintenance knowledge. It was never a big deal when I'd work my midnight shift, but working the day shift I can vividly remember my frustration when dealing with trach patients.

My day partners knew far more simply because they were in the field longer. We always agreed that it was something that was picked up with time, but I still don't feel comfortable with trach patients.

Their needs, noises, and mannerisms all seem so weird to me. I can't stand suctioning them, which we always do, because I'm not sure how far is too far.

Yeah, so there ya go, my insecurities with trachs.
In -P school, our instructor was an ex-respritory threapist... I learned more about trachs from him than anyone else.