Top 10 reasons why I became an EMT.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain

10. I had no other plans to do with my life.

9. Prove to others I could do it, and did.

8. Running lights and sirens are the shizznit.

7. I LOVE helping people.

6 .....I get to cut clothes off.... :-D

5. Job security, thanks to stupid people

4. 24/48 rocks!

3. I get to hang out with a bunch of firemen... HELL YEA!

2. The uniforms aren't bad!

1. I'd rather be a lifesaver than a gobstopper.

Now that about sums mine up, some of yours may be similar... But I am interested in seeing why y'all became EMTs.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Some reason I am an EMT-P

- I wanted to post on EMTLife

- I wanted something more risky than my acting career. This way I can fall on my acting career in case EMS doesn't work out.

- Chuck Norris round housed my last career planes.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
1. I wanted to be a firefighter, found out I had to be a paramedic around here, then fell in love with EMS during my EMT-B class

2. Medicine fascinates me

3. I'm intrigued by the way we get to see people from every end of the social spectrum

4. People are incredibly interesting, and I love how we get to experience every single human emotion and dig deep into what is truly wrong with our patients

5. I love the feeling of helping people

Last edited by a moderator:

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
In all honesty it was curiosity really. My dad had been an emt and tried to scare me into being a better drive with horror stories. Out of curiosity I took the emt basic class. Now I'm a paramedic and I want to go to medical school. Funny how life turns out.

clibb

Forum Captain
1. I like taking care of people. I was always the one taking care of the drunker people at parties haha.
2. Medicine is fun and very interesting.
3. I want to be an ER Doc so this gives me good experience in the EMS field.
4. I get to cut clothes off people
5. To know what to do in emergency situations. I honestly can't believe I've lived this long without knowing some of this stuff. It's scary.

AtalantaAsh

Forum Probie
(some are copies lol couldn't word them better lol thanks Stephanie)
My order is prolly off.

10. Umm... hmm... can't think of another...

9. I love any part of the medical field

8. Running lights and sirens are the shizznit, until people don't move out of the way!

7. I LOVE helping people, I especially have a soft spot for the elderly, my grandparents all died while in nursing homes and it makes me happy when I can go into a nursing home and make the loneliest residents smile, just by talking to them.

6. I wanted to treat my PTs better than I had been treated the two times I had been the PT in an ambulance.

5. Job security, thanks to stupid people. (you can't beat good job security)

4. 24/48 rocks!

3. I get to hang out with a bunch of firemen... HELL YEA! (x100000000000)

2. We are so much cooler than nurses lol

1. I race cars as a hobby and when I was thinking about doing nursing school, my bestfriend turned to me one day and said "Jenny you like to race cars, why don't you drive an ambulance?" and so it became lol

medic417

The Truth Provider
I didn't want to become an emt or a Paramedic. I set down in the wrong classroom and now I am here.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I didn't want to become an emt or a Paramedic. I set down in the wrong classroom and now I am here.

I didn't either. My officer was like, hey, we had one prospective student drop out. We need another body to hold the class. You can take it and it might come in handy on a fire scene someday.

I pretty much looked at it as a resume builder. And (to quote 417) "and now I am here."

cristianb36

Forum Probie
Well, paramedics run the show here in los angeles...they do everything in their power to mkake bls second in on all calls and then most won't allow u to be more than a gurney jockey. So I was hoping to save lives, but have endd up just being a ride along...

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
It all started with an article in the local newspaper about our towns volly service needing volunteers as they only had 4 members. I work in a dept store and one evening the volly service chief was in the store and I told him "if I had a drivers licence (i only have a class 7 learners licence) I would join the service". He replied "we will pick you up". A few days later I was walking passed town hall and the chief was pulling out of the parking lot. He said from his vehicle that the ambulance applications were on the counter and to pick one up and fill it out. I did and he sent me an acceptance letter 2 weeks later. The rest is history.

Gr33n_ey.d_goddess

Forum Ride Along
~Adrenaline junkie
~Make a difference in this world
~Control freak in traffic, lights and sirens means MOVE OUTTA MY WAY
~Going fast
~Getting paid for the potential of what I could be doing
~Always BBQ’ing
~Nosey
~ Blood and guts
~Late night sleepovers…with the firemen…lol
1. Legally take your clothes off, strap you down, have multi partners involved & never use your name again

octoparrot

Forum Probie
Definitely because i hated sitting behind a desk... only wish i had started my career earlier. I've always dreamed of always being tired with a slight odor of purell, nitrile and old people...ahhh.

Bottom line, i like to be of service to my fellow humans...good and bad. Gives me pride.

piranah

Forum Captain
some of these amaze me but its ok...umm was gunna go to nursing school then took an EMt class to see if i liked medicine..loved it took my paramedic immediately and well...so far im good at it...at least i think i am....:)

feldy

Forum Captain
More than most people can claim legitimately... especially Basics.

Especially if ALS is primary response in your area which its not in mine but still ive rode on a BLS rig which was essentially a "backup" If ALS was OOS so we pretty much ate and watched a lot of tv.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
San Diego ALS units are getting thin due to brownouts.