TONS of Questions!

divedeeper

Forum Ride Along
Hello all...

I am 25 years old and facing a crossroads, one of many to come I'm sure, in my life, and I have found that nothing works better to either confirm or deter me into a potential career than experience. Unfortunately with some jobs it is tough to gain hands-on experience, because of protections like HIPAA and such. My first question is this: Is there any possibility that any local agency or department would allow me any amount of time to "ride-along" and see what the reality is out in the field before I invest hundreds or thousands of dollars into what I dream is an awesome job?

Here's my dilemma, and by no means can I ask you to answer for me what you think I ought to be "when I grow up".
I have been married for three years now (no that's not the dilemma, lol) and my wife and I are hoping to start a non-profit organization in south florida that will train youth (primarily, of course adults and children would be incorporated in different venues) in Christian discipleship as well as incorporating a certain measure of diving and other aquatic activities. I have recently been introduced to scuba diving and I LOVE IT! I often consider becoming a dive instructor. The dilemma: Dive instruction and non profit youth camp are both extremely rewarding careers, but the pay isn't great. I'm no money hog, but we do hope to have kids one day and I want to provide for my wife and family.
Enter EMT? I have been interested in emergency med for a LONG time, even through the 5 million career changes a week in my mind as a teen. Someone very close to me went through the training to become an emt but never practiced because of some employer unfairness or something and I let it scare me for a while, but now as I search my heart for what is next for my life, I am faced with this crossroads. I really want to be an emt (eventually paramedic), from what i understand about the job. I even found out I can get a specialty as a DMT (dive medic tech). This sounds like such a perfect fit as well as a huge asset i can lend to the dive camp as parents of teens weigh the dangers and liabilities of sending their kids to dive camp. To complicate things more, a friend of mine just started his own business in wound care and he wants to hire me and pay me well and send me to business school. As lucrative as this sounds, I hate the idea of sitting at a desk for the rest of my life breathing manufactured a/c. It drives me nuts now at my job where I at least get to walk around and deal with customers. I can't imagine a life of office days every day. So my emt related questions are, in addition to how do i get my feet wet (ridealong etc.) all concern training, certifications, schedule, salary, etc. I want the real deal truth about being a paramedic. What about the emotional side of things? Is it possible to truly separate tragic days at work from days off with the family? Basically, paramedics, what is your life like? What's it like out there? The next few years of my life are crucial. What advice can you give to a young man who wants to make a difference in the world?

Thank you for your time and for welcoming me to your community. I look forward to your responses and to future discussions about the field many of you have mastered or are in the process of mastering, that i wish to become a part of one day, hopefully soon.

Your newest friend,
DiveDeeper

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome to the community, I'm sure that plenty of people here will be able to give you some input.

First off let me address this:

The dilemma: Dive instruction and non profit youth camp are both extremely rewarding careers, but the pay isn't great. I'm no money hog, but we do hope to have kids one day and I want to provide for my wife and family.
Enter EMT?
I know that its going to be said, but let me be the first...
Don't do it for the money.
Primarily because the money really isn't there, and secondarily because you will burn out and most likely become very frustrated with your career choice if money is the primary force in that choice.

Beyond that, I will step aside and allow others to add their $.02

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Is your friend's business in wound care an HBO center?

Get your EMT and have him put you through the HBO intro class (1 week - 40 hours in length) in Key Largo as a business deduction. It is a multi-place chamber but the priniciples can be used for monoplace. This class and your EMT will be two steps into dive medicine.

Take some A&P classes at BCC toward an EMS degree (or Paramedic certificate). Actually just get your EMT with BCC or one of the local Community colleges (Miami Dade, Palm Beach or Broward) and the cost will be fairly reasonable with transferable credit.

The Florida Keys Community College also has a diving program (degree) and an HBO class. But, I think you'll find everything you need in Ft. Lauderdale to get your career started.

The local EMS and Sheriff's services have special dive and water rescue teams that need highly skilled divers AND EMT/Paramedics. Their wage is pretty decent as far as Florida goes definitely. They are also through either the county SO, EMS and/or FD so you'll have great benefits and Florida Retirement system.

The work schedules with either 12 or 24 hour shifts will give you enough time off to keep your community service camp work.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Before you dive in (pun intended) you may want to see if you can ride-along. Some agencies allow citizens to ride-along, others do not. If you go to the station and just explain your aspirations and that you're considering going into EMS, they may be willing to let you schedule a ride-along. You might as well ask.

Some EDs have volunteers, and although it's not field work it will give you a glimpse into EMS.

If there's a search and rescue team in your area you should look into joining up with them. Most of them don't have any prerequisites as far as certification goes except for CPR/first aid, but many of them will put you through extensive training. My SAR team put me through an EMT-B level course, and we do swiftwater rescue and assist dive rescue from onshore. SAR can be a good way to dip your toes into EMS.

Anyways, good luck with all your endeavors.

OminousFinding

Forum Probie
I've got one of those big corporate jobs with lots of manufactured a/c (and a lot of hot air from bosses and coworkers). I also have a strong interest in EMS, so I'm taking up a volunteer EMT opportunity with a local fire department to see if it "fits" before I start making big life changes. (I make great money right now...it's kind of nice, but it's not a replacement for happiness).

You might check into what your local agencies offer. The agency I work with is sponsoring me to get my EMT-B certification. I plan to put in at least a year as a vollie to gain some experience and test the waters. And if it's totally terrible (which I don't think so...I love this stuff) I'll felt as though I've repaid them for the money they've invested (probably around $2,000 between class, books, equipment, and pre-req CPR and Disease Transmission courses).

I've done some research, and you won't get rich doing EMS work. I think Paramedics with some experience get paid around $80k in the Seattle area, which has a cost of living that is rapidly increasing. Then again, dive instructors and youth pastors don't make bank, either.

It seems you're a man of faith--I'd pay attention to the leadings you receive from that. Me--I'm following my heart (which may be the same leading?) and trying to find a logical way to get there. The vollie program seems to be a great avenue for that.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Which Dive medic cert are you trying to get, are you takling a rescue diver through P.A.D.I., or Diver EMT through D.A.N.? there are several different dive medic routes you can go.