Tips for Climbing the EMT Ladder?

Shoduke

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys,

I recently started working as an EMT-B for my university's (The George Washington University) student-run EMT group. I want to eventually become a crew chief and hopefully even a supervisor in the next 3 years before I graduate in 2014. What tips do you have for someone looking to accomplish my goal(s)?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Keep your head down when it comes to station politics. Always step up to do the dirty jobs. Be persistent about wanting to advance. Get rid of all your facebook friends.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
And hope someone is going to retire for that position to open up.

JPINFV

Gadfly
And hope someone is going to retire for that position to open up.
If it's a student run agency, people graduate and they can make everyone what ever rank they want.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
If it's a student run agency, people graduate and they can make everyone what ever rank they want.

Ahh, yes I did seem to forget that point. I am now president of my condo parking space. :)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Read some books about a fellow named Reinhard Heydrich. He was extremely upwardly mobile in the organization he was involved with. LOL

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Quite distinctly so....that would be the point.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
intimidationheydrich.png

heydrich.jpg

samiam

Amazing Member
When I climb ladders I usually move my right hand then right foot then left hand then left foot and keep my eyed on each rung. I also make sure to always have three point of attachment.:ph34r:

Wes

Forum Lieutenant
All of the suggestions are good ones. But I'll add one more -- get more experience somehow. Being a leader in your first responder group means that people will be counting on you. And having been involved with similar types of first responder groups, being involved in ONLY that group will not give you anywhere near the experience you need to be successful.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
1) Don't take anything to seriously, you'll miss some great college experiences with your friends otherwise. 2) Its all child's play, which you'll realize if you want to advance your carrier in healthcare or if you go into any real organization/business.

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
Let the right people know that you want to advance.

The key is finding the "right" people in your organization.

mikeward

Forum Crew Member
Shoduke:

Congrats.

1) read all of the articles about the service in the Hatchet and GWToday

2) Stop by my office and we can talk.

A student-staffed ems service, administered by the university police, with a unique workload (a cardiac arrest every 2 years, a dozen drunk colleagues every September weekend) has interesting dynamics.

Mike Ward
2131 K St NW 510
(look up my GW email/phone/faculty page on the university website)

JPINFV

Gadfly
...and then there's networking...