Tips for "Bulking up"

TheGreatBakedPotato

Forum Ride Along
Basically I am a 23 year old, 100lb bean pole! I am attempting to bulk up in hopes of getting a job with a fire/EMS service. I have been working out but I haven't seen much progress as far as strength, I have the endurance part down! Contantly eating doesn't work either, I have been doing that for years! Any tips are helpful!!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Get a manual job including lifting. A feed store ought to do it, 100 lb sacks all day, bucking hay, maybe driving deliveries.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
If you feel like you're doing adequate lifting exercises, up the calories. Add an extra PB&J (good sized one is close to 500 cals easily) daily for a couple weeks. No progress, add another. Just an example of an easy way to add calories.

Also, limit your cardio/amount of time exercising... Sounds odd but if you're burning too many calories you won't be gaining anything.

Achilles

Forum Moron
clover+for+top+picture.jpg

You're 23 and only 100 pounds?

OP
OP
T

TheGreatBakedPotato

Forum Ride Along
Funny you sent a picture of lard. That's what I tell people I am going to do, and yes I am sadly only 100lbs. I have a few medical problems that make it hard to gain weight but I take meds to help. And I will try the peanut butter sandwiches!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Funny you sent a picture of lard. That's what I tell people I am going to do, and yes I am sadly only 100lbs. I have a few medical problems that make it hard to gain weight but I take meds to help. And I will try the peanut butter sandwiches!

Then before you make yourself really sick now or later, you need to consult with your doctor about this, not an internet forum.

OP
OP
T

TheGreatBakedPotato

Forum Ride Along
I have discussed this with my doctor. He is all for me gaining weight. I was looking for specific workouts that are routinely done in EMS if you must know.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Run, w/ weight vest, lift some weights, do some pull ups and listen to the eye of the tiger :)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We do have a "no medical advice" rule, but the OP specifically stated he is NOT seeking medical advice ... And we do have some fitness junkies here, so this thread will remain open as long as the replies stay helpful and civil.

mediclife

Forum Probie
If the Doc is ok with it, stop in a supplement store like GNC and talk to one of the associates about some of the weight gain products and workouts that you could do to help you gain.

OP
OP
T

TheGreatBakedPotato

Forum Ride Along
Allow me to clear the confusion here. I am NOT looking for medical tips, I am looking for workout routines, or maybe a specific machine you like at the gym, or your favorite protein shake! That's it! How do other EMS providers get into shape and stay in shape!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Allow me to clear the confusion here. I am NOT looking for medical tips, I am looking for workout routines, or maybe a specific machine you like at the gym, or your favorite protein shake! That's it! How do other EMS providers get into shape and stay in shape!

Have you ever seen most EMS providers?

I guess technically, round is a shape...

I really didn't think twice about this thread until I saw you have medical problems that make weight gain difficult.

There is a lot to understand on the biochemistry of it. As well as the long term health complications.

As for my favorite workout, I like Aikido.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Then before you make yourself really sick now or later, you need to consult with your doctor about this, not an internet forum.

Yes. Like they say, consult with your doctor before you take up any new regimen.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

TheGreatBakedPotato

Forum Ride Along
I should clear this up too. I lost my weight due to medical problems which are now gone and no longer effecting me. What I am doing is trying to get my weight back. I have seen them yes. With my size I am not sure they will take me serious. I want to assure them I can move patients from point a to point b. I just want to build up some strength. Sorry for all the confusion.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
As far as exercises, compounds are your friend, ie: dead lifts, cleans, squats, barbell bench press, pull ups, bench dips. Don't worry much about muscles such as biceps/triceps, in the beginning they will grow with the compound lifts, focus on those smaller muscles later.

Your body grows as a whole, not in parts. Remember this, and big leg lifts will be your best friend, due to the large mass of the muscles in your thighs.