Time to decide...

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
I really need to figure this out once and for all because it haunts me. I've been debating taking the EMT-B course for far too long (years). I always find a way to talk myself out of it, mainly because I'm afraid that I'll come across something truly disgusting on a call and won't be able to deal with it. I don't want to be a liability. When you were starting out, how did you know you'd be able to handle it? If you've never had the experience, how do you know? It's something I really want to do yet the idea of it scares me.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Most people no matter how scared just allow the training and education to take over and they start treating the patient. I have known a few that were actually top students that just could not handle it and quit after first bad call but they did find a way to treat the patient while on scene.

There is no shame in quiting if you learn its not for you. The training will always be there though to help you help your own family.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm sure everyone worries about this to some extent. Some handle it better than others. I have friends here in med school that worry about it. You will find a way to deal with it, and if you truly can't then you'll have learned something important about yourself. To be quite honest, if you are truly in the moment and working hard on someone, you won't realize the full effect it is of what you are doing.

My first experience in the cadaver lab didn't hit me until after I left because it was so "go, go, go" in there that you didn't have time ot pause and think what you were actually doing.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
How did you know you could handle it beforehand? You can't. You just go through the process and hopefully learn something about yourself.

I've had students utterly scared before their first call and did fine. I've also had a student do a cardiac arrest and quit the next day.

You won't know till you do it.

BEorP

Forum Captain
I think it is important to add that in most EMS systems in North America, most of your calls will not be blood and guts. Our bread and butter in EMS is more often medical calls like chest pain, shortness of breath, or even just "generally unwell". Yes, there will be blood and guts at times, but not every call like you may have seen on the TV show trauma.