Time management while getting my EMT-B certification

Boston_EMS58

Forum Probie
Quick question, I'm going for my EMT-B this summer but I'm also holding down a part time job and I'll start horseback riding again in the spring. So I was wondering what your opinion was on whether or not I'll be able to do what I want this summer as well as study. And if any of you had any suggestions on time management while studying. (This is also my summer break from a full time undergrad so I'd like to enjoy it a bit). I'm not too sure of the work load I'll be getting so the time I have will probably be different than what I'm currently facing in college.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Quick question, I'm going for my EMT-B this summer but I'm also holding down a part time job and I'll start horseback riding again in the spring. So I was wondering what your opinion was on whether or not I'll be able to do what I want this summer as well as study. And if any of you had any suggestions on time management while studying. (This is also my summer break from a full time undergrad so I'd like to enjoy it a bit). I'm not too sure of the work load I'll be getting so the time I have will probably be different than what I'm currently facing in college.

Well... let's see... I did an EMT-B class, followed by an EMT-I class, followed by 200 clinical hours in 18 months. During this time I handled 200+ call's as the primary EMT... I work a full time job (Not counting the two perdiem EMT gigs....) I teach at a college and I have a wife, 2 kids, hunt, fish and shoot IDPA matches.

And I am probably twice your age... so sure... you can do it.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
If you can't manage an EMT-B class and a part time job and squeeze in some horseback riding, you've got some serious growing up to do. Seriously...it's a glorified 120-180 hour first aid class. If you have to study that much for it, you've either got a learning disability or have some other form of deficiency.

OP
OP
B

Boston_EMS58

Forum Probie
If you can't manage an EMT-B class and a part time job and squeeze in some horseback riding, you've got some serious growing up to do. Seriously...it's a glorified 120-180 hour first aid class. If you have to study that much for it, you've either got a learning disability or have some other form of deficiency.
Jeez, it was just a question...I don't know what exactly I'm getting into here. But thanks, I guess, for the unnecessarily rude reply.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't think it was supposed to be all that rude, more sarcastic:

You asked a question about an relatively easy course to people who most if not all worked FT plus, while dealing with family problems and taking a course that is anywhere from 5 months of two 4 hour class days a week and at least 100 hours of clinicals; down to 20 days straight of 12 hour days of class and clinicals.

if we can all do it, you should be able to do it.

Wait til paramedic school, while working FT at least 50 hours a week, PT at 24-36 hours a week. 14 months of school: two 8 hour class days and 24-48 hours a week of clinicals.
And try not to ask how people manage to do Paramedic school while working 20 hours a week; (at least not face to face like one of my co-workers asked me)

OP
OP
B

Boston_EMS58

Forum Probie
Don't think it was supposed to be all that rude, more sarcastic:

You asked a question about an relatively easy course to people who most if not all worked FT plus, while dealing with family problems and taking a course that is anywhere from 5 months of two 4 hour class days a week and at least 100 hours of clinicals; down to 20 days straight of 12 hour days of class and clinicals.

if we can all do it, you should be able to do it.

Wait til paramedic school, while working FT at least 50 hours a week, PT at 24-36 hours a week. 14 months of school: two 8 hour class days and 24-48 hours a week of clinicals.
And try not to ask how people manage to do Paramedic school while working 20 hours a week; (at least not face to face like one of my co-workers asked me)
Thanks, I didn't think it was all that dumb of a question but I just wanted to know what I would be getting myself into since I haven't started any emt courses at all. I wouldn't know if it was easy or not and I don't know anybody who has taken any emt courses or is even remotely interested in being a paramedic. I do appreciate the clarification.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Thanks, I didn't think it was all that dumb of a question but I just wanted to know what I would be getting myself into since I haven't started any emt courses at all. I wouldn't know if it was easy or not and I don't know anybody who has taken any emt courses or is even remotely interested in being a paramedic. I do appreciate the clarification.

Never be afraid to ask questions that will give you guidance. You weren't born with the answers to everything, and asking a question like you did here actually shows a lot of maturity!

I was lucky in that I was able to take my EMT-B class for college credit my first semester, so it wasn't like I was doing a completely full course load PLUS doing EMT. That being said, however, the EMT-B course is not that difficult, and if you're interested in the subject you shouldn't have any trouble.

If you want to get a jump on the course, pick up a book on A&P and start reading through that before you start the course. It will help you immensely.

Good luck!

BigPoppa

Forum Crew Member
Jeez, it was just a question...I don't know what exactly I'm getting into here. But thanks, I guess, for the unnecessarily rude reply.

I've noticed he's condescending and arrogant to pretty much everyone on here. Don't sweat it.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
That wasn't rude. It's just blunt.

I've noticed he's condescending and arrogant to pretty much everyone on here. Don't sweat it.

It's not condescending or arrogant, it's just being honest. There's nothing wrong with not sugarcoating or being encouraging with every post one makes. If you want to see me be condescending and arrogant, I can show you that. That's assuming the moderators give me the OK to do so. ;)

Sasha

Forum Chief
Oh Steve, recruiting members for your fan club again? :p

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh Steve, recruiting members for your fan club again? :p
Yes, if anyone expresses interest I will refer them to you as Madam President of that particular organization. ;)

Sasha

Forum Chief
I get to be president? YES!!

First order of business is to find me an intern to have relations with and then lie about.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I get to be president? YES!!

First order of business is to find me an intern to have relations with and then lie about.
Only if, as the basis for this fan club, get to see pictures of the aforementioned relations. LOL

AndyK

Forum Crew Member
That wasn't rude. It's just blunt.

It's not condescending or arrogant, it's just being honest. There's nothing wrong with not sugarcoating or being encouraging with every post one makes. If you want to see me be condescending and arrogant, I can show you that. That's assuming the moderators give me the OK to do so. ;)

What he said.... welcome to the dark, robust and often downright wierd world of EMS humour ;)

harryb714

Forum Crew Member
I am currently taking an EMT-B course while working 40 hours a week and many other people do the same. You should have no problem if you are mature enough to attend all the classes and study a little before each exam.