Thoughts to ponder.

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
My coworkers and I were having a chat. Think about this. How many pt's have you seen in your career or as a volunteer ? And think about how many miles that you have driven in your ambulance over the years. We really should realize how big of a difference we make in our communities over the years.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
My coworkers and I were having a chat. Think about this. How many pt's have you seen in your career or as a volunteer ? And think about how many miles that you have driven in your ambulance over the years. We really should realize how big of a difference we make in our communities over the years.

That's a beautiful non-sequitur, thank you.

Buzz

Forum Captain

This was an interesting question. After doing some math, and coming up with my average call volume for my shift and factoring in the occasional overtime shifts and MCIs, I ended up with a number around 1,300 for the past two years.

I still write down certain info about some of the more memorable calls. If nothing else, it'll help me remember my love of the job when I'm old, sore, and beyond burnt out.

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
worthtee1.jpg

;)

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
180 shifts a year without overtime.

Twelve to fifteen calls a day average.

Five mile transport average.

Fourteen-years.

Equals:

2340 runs a year.

32,760 runs over my career.

163,000 miles driven.

Holy crap I need to retire.:)

One more thing, two surgeries, six broken bones, thirty three stitches, herniated disk, hernia, concussion, seperated soldier and and a tooth knocked out........I think that about covers it.

More friends, laughs and good times then I can even remember.

Last edited by a moderator:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm gonna have to fugure that out......it won't be much for me since I've only been in for like 2 years.

Another thing is this: When I was on yesterday, another crewmember and I were talking and figured out that with 50,000 people in our county and another plus or minus 20,000 in the part of another county we cover and between the two services in this county there are (to be extremely generous) 25-30 EMTs, there is 2333 people for each of us. Then you have to figure in the fact that there are only 8 EMTs on duty at any given time (2 per crew. 2 crews per service.) So that brings up a ratio of......1 EMT:8750 People:p

I'm sure some of you in the city have a bigger gap, but I thought it was still cool.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
probably 24000 patients in 12 years in my old area. I know that I put over 200,000 miles on one truck alone. but our average trip to the hospital was 15 miles.

31 patients in 19 months here. here the trip to the hospital is 44 miles one to level III, level I is about 90 miles away.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I still write down certain info about some of the more memorable calls. If nothing else, it'll help me remember my love of the job when I'm old, sore, and beyond burnt out.

Trust me on this: If you spend a little extra time EXPLORING some of the themes you write about that rock your world today, you'll be less likely to get burned out tomorrow. Don't be afraid to face your human experience. The appropriate time, obviously, is not during the call. But if you're compelled to write about the more challenging stuff, then taking it one step deeper can only broaden your understanding of what you do, which essentially will save you.

OP
OP
E

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
Just for my vollie service - been in it for 18 years. Averaged at least 100 responses per year, average milage to the hospital is 10 miles. Total for that is 18,000 miles. The private services that I had worked for and working for now, had to put at least 50 or 60 thousand miles there. That stat is going to drop very quickly being that due to failing health I am semi retired as a dispatcher for my paid service, and admin duties for my volunteer service.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
We are not aloud to ponder. Our medical director won't allow it.