Thoughts on this? (Re: current wage topic)

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I think you make a point here that is often overlooked.

Maybe, the reason why EMS education hasn't changed significantly over the past decades is the simple fact that there is no pressing reason to make those changes. As much as the administrators and educators like to talk about being "progressive" and "looking to the future", in reality sweeping changes (at least ones that cost a lot of money and take a lot of work) are typically reactionary; something has to force them to happen. And even though we've got plenty of room for improvement, and I'd personally really like to see a more academic, college-based 2-year degree education with less a little emphasis on emergencies and more on basic primary care become the entry-level standard for paramedics, the reality is that for the most part, paramedics do a pretty good job with the education that we already have.

So why fix what aint broke? Especially when the proposed fix (increased educational standards) is expensive and results in a lot of whining and pushback from many of the stakeholders?

And also - I know I've beaten this horse hard on this forum many times - it's really important to understand that increased education does not automatically translate to increased compensation. If that were the case, then every paramedic with a 4 year degree would make way more money than their colleagues without a college degree, and that isn't the case.
Very true. I have a college education but am paid just the same as anybody else.

fatkid

New, but gettin the hang of EMS
Watch how many companies leave LA City if they go to a 15 dollar an hour minimum wage

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Watch how many companies leave LA City if they go to a 15 dollar an hour minimum wage
Well heres the thing, in the city laws if you work 2 hours or more any time of the day in LA city limits, you have to abide by city wage rules.
You could do an hour there go back an hour later and you would have to pay $15 an hour for the whole work day.