EMR- 15.75$ an hour
EMT- 18.88$ an hour
EMT-P - 25.50$ an hour

Emerg service
EMT- 25.00$ an hour
EMT-P 27.50$ an hour

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It is irrelevant on how much per hour one makes in EMS. We have places paying Paramedics $35-50/hr. Sounds great? Think again.

I can tell most that spout off amount per hour, has very little EMS experience. As most can verify EMS is exempt from the "norm" labor & wage standards. In fact EMS has its own rules for such.

So for example those that are paying $ 35 an hour maybe only paying you for the first 12 hours and nothing afterwards or may pay O.T. after midnight. In comparison, one would actually make more if they take the $12/hr and get paid for 24 and if they have a guarantee O.T. based upon the after 40 hr work week.

One needs look at ask "how much is my bring home pay" and "yearly salary".

Then one has to compare costs of living in the area in comparison to that salary. In my area it is low in comparison to many areas, but the costs of living is lower here as well.

R/r 911

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Here in Canada pay for EMS personnel is higher than our US counterparts. Here in the NWT the paramedics that work air ambulance make 95k a year base thats before ot is factored in then its in the d\6 figure range. Also we are not pumping out EMT's and paramedics that the US is. Supply and demand. OT is anything after 40hrs/week.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Texas basics $15 Intermediates $17 Paramedic $20 all + overtime and good benefits.

Cost of living cheap compared to many areas.

I restate the above because I did not state you are paid every hour scheduled. There are no free hours. Overtime after 40 per week.

But Rid is right many places only actually pay X number of hours out of the 24, and many do not start overtime till after 53 hours. So check into it.

I will not work for free. If you want me to respond you pay me all hours.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Our OT kicks in for anything over your 8 hr shift, and for any shift worked in addition to your scheduled 40hrs.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Here in Canada pay for EMS personnel is higher than our US counterparts. Here in the NWT the paramedics that work air ambulance make 95k a year base thats before ot is factored in then its in the d\6 figure range. Also we are not pumping out EMT's and paramedics that the US is. Supply and demand. OT is anything after 40hrs/week.

Really? Do you mean 40 hours of actual calls? Because the Alberta Labor Standards states that EMS is exempt from the normal 44 hrs/wk regulation (which is the amount of hours you need to work before getting paid overtime here, not 40), and they are only required to be paid overtime if they are going over 60 hrs/wk, or 10/day. My service pays overtime for any calls that come in after the first 10 hours of our 24-hr shift, even if you spent the entire preceding 10 hours watching TV without a single call.

http://employment.alberta.ca/cps/rde/xchg/hre/hs.xsl/1494.html

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Here in the NWT OT is anything over 40 hrs a week Unless they have permission from Employment Standards. it's not 40 hrs of calls but 40 hrs total. JochiI noticed you pt down emt basic does that mean you are a ACoP registered EMR because A ACoP registered EMT is equal to a US EMT-I.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Here in the NWT OT is anything over 40 hrs a week Unless they have permission from Employment Standards. it's not 40 hrs of calls but 40 hrs total. JochiI noticed you pt down emt basic does that mean you are a ACoP registered EMR because A ACoP registered EMT is equal to a US EMT-I.

Yes, I'm an EMR...I actually hold temporary reg with ACP right now, I have my licensing exam in about 3 weeks. *shudder*

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, I'm an EMR...I actually hold temporary reg with ACP right now, I have my licensing exam in about 3 weeks. *shudder*
Don't worry if you know your stuff you will pass the exam. You will probably do good on the written and practical, have faith in your abilities.

tydek07

Forum Captain
Yah, such is life in the EMS feild.

And if medics are not making more then 11 an hour there... they should be looking elsewhere.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Most 911 EMT jobs here start you $8-$8.50 for 24 hour shifts.
$8.75-$10 for 12-hour shifts...latest I've heard.
One often has to pay for recerts (CE's, Amb Lic., EMT Cert renewel)

For reference:
$8/hr is minimum wage.
I was told McDonald's employees have a higher hourly rate.
Of course those on 24 hour shifts work more hours (and usually awake, running calls for all of them, depending on service area)

I think we calculated: $24,000/year gross for a 24-hour shift (less for 12-hour shifts)
For reference.
My half of rent for 2B apt is $850 (considered slightly expensive for the non-rich post college crowds).
Without OT, I bring in under $800 take-home every two weeks.

Non-911 makes a bit more, as it's more undesireable (though less responsibility)(as a generalization).

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
I work for a regional station in Fairview, AB. I just recently switched to a "Day Car". I get paid my regular rate of $20.88/hr. for the first 10.5 hours of my shift. Anything after that is overtime if I'm actually in the car working. Otherwise, I get 13.5 hours of on-call at 3-something an hour. Plus benefits. I usually bring home around $3500/month. I was, however, making much more than that before I went to this new shift. And, they are soon removing the on-call aspect. Which will make my schedule 0700-1730 mon-thurs.

And as soon as we all fall under the complete ruleof Alberta Health Services, I will be making the same wages as my counterparts in Calgary and Edmonton.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Re-writing previous post. Realized no one's going to read it with such a jumble of numbers and too late to edit.

12-hour shifts: $10/hr
24-hour shifts: $8/hr
24-hour shifts: Approx. $24,000/year GROSS
Minimum wage: $8/hr
My rent: $850
Biweekly paycheck TAKE-HOME: $800

None-911 companies, tend to make at least 1.5 more than 911

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Hmmm, my biweekly take home is $1000, that's with small amounts of overtime >1 hour a day above and beyond shift, and I work 911, in LA county.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah, that was base pay for me, for comparison purposes.

I also supplement with a teaching job and OT.

Mikel512

Forum Probie
Texas basics $15 Intermediates $17 Paramedic $20 all + overtime and good benefits.

Cost of living cheap compared to many areas.

What?! please stop telling these people lies...you tell me where EMT-b's make more then 12.00 an hour at the most..and I will be there:)

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I agree w/ Rid. I "make" $13.00 per hour as a newbie EMT-I (don't jump me, we're pretty much an I state, very few B's left here) but my salary is $28K and some change as a base payrate.

I make $13.00 an hour when I work 12 hour shifts, for my 24 hour shift it drops by about $4.00.

You can't go by the hourly rate, especially when dealing with AMR or Rural/Metro