Thinking of Becoming an EMT

Stillen GLE

Forum Ride Along
Whats up Guys, I am 18 years and graduated high school last year. anyhow's what does it take to become an emt. I originally wanted to become a Firefighter but i realized that there's alot involved not that I am saying there isnt with emt's I have asthma and i dont want it to effect but i know id be dead in instance if i became a firefighter because of my asthma i wouldnt be able to handle all the smoke and what not. I am thinking of joining a local squad just for something to do on the side for when i have nothing to do I can just go there and hang and wait for a call to go out. when I am not working my other job.

any tips would be great. oh btw I am already CPR certified. got certified at my vocational school but I am sure I am gonna have to retest when i go for emting.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Here's some good pre-class reading for ya, i would reccomend the book "How to Use the Search Feature: An Introspective Look at Modern Internet Communication" by the esteemed Dr. Kevin Dyer, who holds a Ph.D in Internet Etiquette

Thanks kev, told ya I'd use it someday.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

Stillen GLE

Forum Ride Along
Here's some good pre-class reading for ya, i would reccomend the book "How to Use the Search Feature: An Introspective Look at Modern Internet Communication" by the esteemed Dr. Kevin Dyer, who holds a Ph.D in Internet Etiquette

thanks for the welcome appreciate it you were alot of help not.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Stillen, if your asthma is not currently well controlled, you'll be dying in EMS as well.

(coming from an asthmatic) Other than that, try searching the forum, this really has been discussed, repeatedly, usually as a new semester is starting.

Pace

Forum Ride Along
EMT to Firefighter, Medic...

Testing for fire departments can be a long process. Especially for the large urban ones. This is my experience. I'm currently a new EMT and along with a lot of other folks I know, I'm making EMT, my the first step in my career in emergency response. It's a good stepping stone to fire or medic.

OP
OP
S

Stillen GLE

Forum Ride Along
well do. I mean I take medication for it but i dont really take it anymore unless i really need to.

MRE

Forum Captain
Stillen,

First, there are a couple questions that get asked here countless times, "what do I have to do to become an EMT" is one of them. You should really do a search, but don't let the snide remarks from a couple people turn you away.

To answer your question, to become an EMT-Basic you have to take a cours which is between 120 and 180 hours long, then take one or two tests to check your skills. Some states require time spent in an ER as well I believe. To get any more specific you will need to tell us what state you are from, because the rules are different for each state.

One other suggestion; try using good grammar, as well as commas and periods in the correct places. It was very difficult to follow your first post with the run-on sentences and lack of punctuation. Not trying to be nit pickey, but I had to read most of that post 3 times to understand it.

FYI, you can be a firefighter without actually going into a burning building. They need people to drive trucks, run pumpers, etc. Also, firefighters all wear self contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) when working in or near a fire, so you don't breath any smoke. The severity of your asthma is still something for you to consider though.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

thank you sir.