Things I learned about EMS this week ...

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
Well, I was looking for an EMT-B job and for my sins I was given one. In the past week I have learned ...

1. Once you leave for lunch you will get at least two calls before you ever make it to McDonalds, then one more before you finish eating.

2. When a pt says "I feel nauseous." get a basin like ... NOW!

3. Confused geriatrics are way stronger than they look.

4. 12-lead pads leave a nice hairless patch when removed and hurt like h@ll.

5. Practice with each style of stretcher you're going to use before getting a call for an obese that's gonna ride on it.

I need some sleep, a heating pad and Motrin for my back, and a cold beer. :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
:)
Well, I was looking for an EMT-B job and for my sins I was given one. In the past week I have learned ...

1. Once you leave for lunch you will get at least two calls before you ever make it to McDonalds, then one more before you finish eating.

5. Practice with each style of stretcher you're going to use before getting a call for an obese that's gonna ride on it.

I need some sleep, a heating pad and Motrin for my back, and a cold beer. :wacko:

Yeah and thats a good day. :)

Welcome to the party.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse

You won't always get warning. Actually, you're very lucky you did at all :glare:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus

Call in an order to go somewhere nice, then pick it up when you can

AFTER you make sure all parts of your body except your wrist and lower arm are out of the way.

...don't come near me you beautiful young thing!

As a courtesy, always leave the 12-lead pads on the patient so the RNs don't have to re-apply. Unless, of course, you're into shaving.

If you don't have three peers on your shift who can fill in as an "obese stretcher testers" then you're probably not EMS.

Please report back on #6; what I learned about saving my back

You may have missed the most important lesson.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Call in an order to go somewhere nice, then pick it up when you can

Even better, bring it with you.

As a courtesy, always leave the 12-lead pads on the patient so the RNs don't have to re-apply. Unless, of course, you're into shaving.

Keep track of which hospitals use them and which don't. None of ours use the 12 lead pads because they aren't compatible (they all have alligator clip on 12 lead cables). Some use the 3 leads. The reason it is good to keep track is becuase the longer the patches are on the harder they are to get off, so if you have a patient with delicate skin, and you know the hospital won't use them, take them off.

If you don't have three peers on your shift who can fill in as an "obese stretcher testers" then you're probably not EMS.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too true. I can probably name 8-10 people who out weigh me and my partner combined.

zombiemedic

Forum Ride Along
Ha! Too true! I second (3rd?) the idea to leave the patches on. Some cardiologists like to see exactly where your patches were when they look at your 12 lead

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Ha! Too true! I second (3rd?) the idea to leave the patches on. Some cardiologists like to see exactly where your patches were when they look at your 12 lead

You get a cardiologist to actually see a patient in the ED?
Magic beyond my mere skills.

OP
OP
P

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
The 12 lead taking hair ... I mean MINE! :lol:

Stretchers ... I still fumble with them because we have three different kinds and seems every time I get a large pt I brain fart on something. And yes, I have been surprised at how many in EMS are very, very overweight. Even at relatively young ages.

It's been a fast-paced week full of learning/relearning. I'm lucky because I got somewhere most long-time basics and medics take precepting seriously. So far ... I'm still going to finish up Paramedic and see how far I can get. I'm teaching during the Spring semester (lecture and clinical) and will finish my Instructor Certs about the same time I finish paramedic. So far it sure beats sitting in an office. B)