The things you've broken/crashed

94accord

Forum Crew Member
Nothing against you, but that could have been the best thing to happen to it. Could you imagine yourself on the stand, facing the attorney for the patient that died of an obstructed airway after aspirating his dinner? "Uh, no, I'm not trained in fixing that piece of equipment, but they told me to jerry-rig it, so I did. It was only after I used it for 10 seconds that it started smoking and quit working." If a supervisor tells you to do something like that, I'd think it would be a good time to find a different, known-good replacement...

i must have neglected to mention the part wher I intentionally destroyed it... I intended to have the thing do a meltdown so they would have no choice but to trash it and buy a new one like they should have done years prior. As soon as they plugged it in at the office it went up in smoke. Of course they did not know that, and I have left that company. I am with a new company that has all the right gear, just is not giving me enough hours so I am planning another move real soon. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

OKmedic320

Forum Ride Along
Ok,heres a funny one. One morning i noticed my unit wasnt running quite right,Later that shift we had an LDT of about 175 miles. About halfway there things got a little worse as the engine let go completely,....on the turnpike no doubt!!!! Ok,ready for the kicker? our Pt. was a 16 y/o pregnant girl who swore she was in labor. We had to call a service in the county we were in for our pt. and then got to sit and wait 3 hrs for a tow truck. the only thing my partner and i could do was look at each other and laugh. Now at work everyone says we will do ANYTHING do get out of a transfer!! LOL

94accord

Forum Crew Member
now that you remind me, I had something similar, except my pt was not a pregnant lady, it was 62 y/o man going in for surgery. We get onto the interstate, transport was about a 45 mi trip. After a few min, we notice our gas gage dropping... gets to empty, ambulance drops dead on the shoulder. We call for one of our backup ambulances to take our pt for us. About 10 min after the pt is changed over, our engine catches on fire and we are on the side of the highway with 2 little extinguishers trying to keep the entire unit from going up. Apparently the company has had a previous record of ambulances burning to the ground while they were in a facility. I am just glad the fire did not get to the main which was right behind the driver seat lol.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
a patient...:rolleyes:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Big deal day. Head of Santa Barbara County EMS was doing one of her quarterly ride-alongs. Right when she showed up we had to scramble to get another rig, as our low-top had broken down. It was a great deal because the company had just gotten these brand new high-tops, and this was one of the first ones. After a good six hours constant running with us, all over the county, she, in the back was ready to call it a day.

We hadn't been back to our hospital base all day. Backing up into the ambulance bay at the hospital emergency room, I quickly leaned back and, looking her right in the eye I said, "Little bump here." figuring I was warning her that, being a New Yorker, I use the "touch system" of backing up and I would back up until the rear tires hit the concrete barrier in the parking space.

Next came a huge crash from the rear of the rig and our Official ride-along, leaning toward the doorway went flying off the bench in through it and then whiplashed back onto the floor, landing squarely on her butt.

Did I mention that even though the company had just gotten some new high-tops, they still hadn't raised the Emergency Room sign over the ambulance bay at the hospital?

Insurman

Forum Probie
Big deal day. Head of Santa Barbara County EMS was doing one of her quarterly ride-alongs. Right when she showed up we had to scramble to get another rig, as our low-top had broken down. It was a great deal because the company had just gotten these brand new high-tops, and this was one of the first ones. After a good six hours constant running with us, all over the county, she, in the back was ready to call it a day.

We hadn't been back to our hospital base all day. Backing up into the ambulance bay at the hospital emergency room, I quickly leaned back and, looking her right in the eye I said, "Little bump here." figuring I was warning her that, being a New Yorker, I use the "touch system" of backing up and I would back up until the rear tires hit the concrete barrier in the parking space.

Next came a huge crash from the rear of the rig and our Official ride-along, leaning toward the doorway went flying off the bench in through it and then whiplashed back onto the floor, landing squarely on her butt.

Did I mention that even though the company had just gotten some new high-tops, they still hadn't raised the Emergency Room sign over the ambulance bay at the hospital?

haha... whoops...

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Hubby's firestation had some 'issues' with the lights on the trucks and the automatic door openers..... Only three or four times of replacing light bars before the city fixed the doors.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Driving at night after a bad storm with no streetlights cause the power was out, ripped the lightbar off the truck with some downed lines.

Killed a bird with the windshield while driving

Managed to roll over a nail while trying to block 6 lanes of interstate being the first onscene of an entrapment causing a flat while awaiting extrication.

Several personal Nextels been dropped and broken, but the company one never dies ever.

And did you know that LifePack12s seem to be allergic to falls down a flight of steps?

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
a patient...:rolleyes:
and how did u do that? :glare: lol

See seatbelts save everyone :D