The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

BeachBumm

Forum Ride Along
Introduction

Hi! I'm Leslie and I am a Firefighter/Medic recruit. I just passed my Intermediate test on Friday! I will be on the floor this summer and will start the Fire Academy in September. I spent 10 years in property management before I was forced to finally make the change I had been scared to make sooner. So far, I am VERY happy with the move I made and so is my grandfather who was a volunteer fire chief for 20 years. I will do my first 24-hour shift on Tuesday. I'm completely stoked!

I'm looking forward to reading the threads on the site and learning even more about this community. Thanks for having me:D

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Hi! I'm Leslie and I am a Firefighter/Medic recruit. I just passed my Intermediate test on Friday! I will be on the floor this summer and will start the Fire Academy in September. I spent 10 years in property management before I was forced to finally make the change I had been scared to make sooner. So far, I am VERY happy with the move I made and so is my grandfather who was a volunteer fire chief for 20 years. I will do my first 24-hour shift on Tuesday. I'm completely stoked!

I'm looking forward to reading the threads on the site and learning even more about this community. Thanks for having me:D

Welcome to the forums! Good luck with the new job!

rndtuet

Forum Ride Along
I'm tatersalad, trying hard not to be a one-hit-wonder.

Level of EMS? Student almost (EMT-B class starting January 6)
Age you were when you first started EMS - I'll be 43
How long in EMS ~0
What type of service - starting with the Vollie rescue squad, EVO training starting 11/8
Future education plans - EMT-I in the fall, medic school after wife gets out of school
I am a software engineer at present.

Just looking for a place to talk,haven't found it

Iowaemtb

Forum Probie
Hello,

I have been an EMT since the 1980’s and I have seen a lot of changes over the years. Currently I am an EMT B in Iowa and a volunteer with the local Fire/Rescue and we run ALS. I started when I was 37 and now I am looking at my 62nd birthday in a couple of weeks and have never stopped learning about pre hospital care. I will most likely lurk about for a while.

glasshalfEMT

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone!

I've had a lifelong interest in the field, but have finally had the opportunity to attain it. I'm from South Louisiana, and my father works offshore in the oil field, which meant he was required to take safety and First Responder classes quite often. I've been reading his first responder books with great interest since I was eight years old, and I am now 31.

I am in my third week of Basic Training at the National EMS Academy and I am following it with the same determination and interest I've done with my father's old first responder books, and I hope one day I can go the distance. Being a paramedic is without a doubt the short term goal, but I haven't decided if I want to simply pursue my Associates in the field or make the jump from Paramedic to RN. Hopefully I'll know the answer to that when the time comes, but for now-- EMT-B. I'm very excited about it.

I just hope some of you guys don't mind if I ask class-related questions from time to time-- like I said, this is a field of great personal interest to me, and I really want to be sure that, come the appropriate time, I know my stuff inside and out.

Lacifer

Forum Ride Along
Hello Everyone,

I am an EMT-A student about to start my final emerg practicum (4 days!!) and I figured I would rejoin this site.
I've been working for a rural service as an EMR in a few small towns in Central Alberta for the past few weeks and I'm loving the experience I'm gaining. I won't feel so hopeless going into practicum now. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on learning how to take charge on calls? That is most definitely my weak point and I desperately need to learn how to be more aggressive. If anyone has any advice for a greeny like me :)

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Just looking for a place to talk,haven't found it

Talk away.

Hello,

I have been an EMT since the 1980’s and I have seen a lot of changes over the years. Currently I am an EMT B in Iowa and a volunteer with the local Fire/Rescue and we run ALS. I started when I was 37 and now I am looking at my 62nd birthday in a couple of weeks and have never stopped learning about pre hospital care. I will most likely lurk about for a while.

Feel free to lurk but it sounds like you might have a lot we'd like to hear so feel free to chime in when you're ready.

Hi everyone!

I've had a lifelong interest in the field, but have finally had the opportunity to attain it. I'm from South Louisiana, and my father works offshore in the oil field, which meant he was required to take safety and First Responder classes quite often. I've been reading his first responder books with great interest since I was eight years old, and I am now 31.

I am in my third week of Basic Training at the National EMS Academy and I am following it with the same determination and interest I've done with my father's old first responder books, and I hope one day I can go the distance. Being a paramedic is without a doubt the short term goal, but I haven't decided if I want to simply pursue my Associates in the field or make the jump from Paramedic to RN. Hopefully I'll know the answer to that when the time comes, but for now-- EMT-B. I'm very excited about it.

I just hope some of you guys don't mind if I ask class-related questions from time to time-- like I said, this is a field of great personal interest to me, and I really want to be sure that, come the appropriate time, I know my stuff inside and out.

We're all about questions here. You might want to try the search function first and see what comes up then go from there :)

Hello Everyone,

I am an EMT-A student about to start my final emerg practicum (4 days!!) and I figured I would rejoin this site.
I've been working for a rural service as an EMR in a few small towns in Central Alberta for the past few weeks and I'm loving the experience I'm gaining. I won't feel so hopeless going into practicum now. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on learning how to take charge on calls? That is most definitely my weak point and I desperately need to learn how to be more aggressive. If anyone has any advice for a greeny like me :)

Taking charge is one of those things that tends to just happen one day when no one else is stepping up, then from that point on its easy. Don't be to eager to jump into the drivers seat because being the one in charge can limit your ability to sit back and learn.

Welcome to the site guys.

NJ EMT

Forum Ride Along
New to EMS

Hello hello everyone,

I am new to the EMS field and I have been lurking around this site for about a month now. I currently reside in NJ and I've just recently passed my EMT-B exam :)

I am very interested in EMS and also pretty excited. I am looking forward to being out in the field and continuing my knowledge and education as I go. I have absolutely no experience what so ever as of today, but I hope that will change and progress in the near future.

I have my first interview tomorrow so we'll see how it goes, but I'm a pretty confident and optimistic kind of person.

But, wish me luck anyway! :p

Achilles

Forum Moron
Hello hello everyone,

I am new to the EMS field and I have been lurking around this site for about a month now. I currently reside in NJ and I've just recently passed my EMT-B exam :)

I am very interested in EMS and also pretty excited. I am looking forward to being out in the field and continuing my knowledge and education as I go. I have absolutely no experience what so ever as of today, but I hope that will change and progress in the near future.

I have my first interview tomorrow so we'll see how it goes, but I'm a pretty confident and optimistic kind of person.

Idk what it is, but something tells me you're from New Jersey !!!

LgLuigiman

Forum Ride Along
Hey I'm Adrian, I'm 19, and I am finishing up my EMT-B course, taking the NREMT test in a couple weeks. I'm starting classes as a college freshman in the fall, and I plan to work with a local volunteer ambulance agency, as well as an on-campus volunteer agency while taking classes at the University of Rochester.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Hey I'm Adrian, I'm 19, and I am finishing up my EMT-B course, taking the NREMT test in a couple weeks. I'm starting classes as a college freshman in the fall, and I plan to work with a local volunteer ambulance agency, as well as an on-campus volunteer agency while taking classes at the University of Rochester.

Adrian, i'm Andrew, good job on completing your Basic class, STUDY proficiently for NREMT!
Oh and welcome aboard

OSMedic

Forum Probie
Hello everyone,

Im Paul, I work for a hospital base EMS service. I have been a Paramedic for about 6.5 years now but I have been involved in EMS for about 8.

28 y/o virgo that likes long walks on the beach.....Oops wrong website.

Anyways....Hopefully going back to school soon to get a degree in some sort of management and one day become an EMS director.

Thats me in a nutshell.

bigbaldguy

Hello everyone,

Im Paul, I work for a hospital base EMS service. I have been a Paramedic for about 6.5 years now but I have been involved in EMS for about 8.

28 y/o virgo that likes long walks on the beach.....Oops wrong website.

Anyways....Hopefully going back to school soon to get a degree in some sort of management and one day become an EMS director.

Thats me in a nutshell.

Welcome to the site OSMedic. :)

bigbaldguy

Great that you could join us LgLuigiman. Sounds like you've got a busy schedule coming up. Good luck with your course and good luck with college :)

bigbaldguy

Hello hello everyone,

Everyone has to start somewhere and we're glad one of your first stops was here. I hope you find EMTLIFE to be as great a source of information as I did :)

buttons93

Forum Ride Along
Hello! I am Alexis, 19 y/o F. EMT-B. Have my certs and everything! Just trying to land a job :)

But having fun volunteering at local hospitals

Hello! I am Alexis, 19 y/o F. EMT-B. Have my certs and everything! Just trying to land a job :)

But having fun volunteering at local hospitals

Welcome aboard! I'd suggest looking for ER Tech jobs while you're trying to land a job with an ambulance company!

danburyfirerescue

Forum Probie
EMT-B testing

Finally got the results back from my state testing and I PASSED!!!!! WOO HOO. Now just waiting for the paper working that goes with it

crazychick

Forum Probie
Hi everyone!!!! Im Jessi and getting back into EMS again. Had my EMT-B 6 years ago and let it lapse, plus really young. Signed up for my volunteer fire squad since they really dont have much!!!! Cant wait to get to know everyone!