The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

Jtabor

Forum Ride Along
Hey all,

My name is Johan and I am an intermediate looking to become a medic. I got into EMS as means to fund my med school and to get better experience in the field and know what to expect from medics and pts as they come into the ER, where I'll hopefully be the MD on the receiving side.

I'm 24 years old, born in Ohio and moved to GA at the age of 7 months. I lived on the same road until not long ago when I moved to Raleigh, NC to find work. Not much luck here, either! x_x

Anyways, uh, hi.

Hallofo

Forum Ride Along
Welcome, Johan!

It look like you and I have much in common; in that we both plan on using EMT employment to fund college and get our feet wet in the Med field.

You could not have picked a better place to start and learn!:)

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Welcome all, to EMTlife, hope you enjoy your stay. Just a tip, if you are passionate about a topic that is fine, just keep in mind the other person maybe too. Remeber mind your words and keep calm.

BigBoy

Forum Crew Member
hey im josh and i am 18 years old (19 on the 26). i live in the thumb of michigan where not to much happens. i first wanted to become a vff but the class for the ems came up first so i jump on the chance to learn something new. as of now i am a mfr and just finishing my emt class (hoping i pass everthing). i just did my first midnight call last night at 1 in the morning which made today a long day. lol.

jay525

Forum Ride Along
Hi all, my name is Jason. I'm 27, I just passed registry and I am currently waiting for my licsense to come in from the state office. I plan on going back for the Medic class this winter.

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
Hi all, my name is Jason. I'm 27, I just passed registry and I am currently waiting for my licsense to come in from the state office. I plan on going back for the Medic class this winter.

Welcome to the board and good luck with Medical school

Chappelley

Forum Ride Along
Hello

Hey everybuddy im 19 and just got my EMT basic course purchased today going online waiting for my book to come in mail cant wait to get started looking for a mentor anyone who wants to help or feels like they can answer questions would be very!!!! appreciated:blush:

takthis1

Forum Ride Along
From Redding, CA

Hello, I am currently enrolled in a very condensed EMT-B summer course here in Redding, CA... I recently found out about this web site and am super excited to begin a career as an EMT-B... I am open to any feedback or suggestions you have to make it through this course, especially seeing as how I have never taken this intense of a course in such a condensed time! You will probably be seeing me asking many questions.....

Thanks and keep up the great work!

johnrmcgee3

Forum Probie
New "kid" on the block

just kidding i havent been a kid in a while
emt-I for 1 year going through paramedic clinicals
work for a private service
i have 3 boys 21, 14, 11.... you can do the math
just frustrated with this company and cant get loose
came in here looking for information and solutions
i love patient care and get much satisfaction from watching them do better, of course the other is also true

Last edited by a moderator:

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I have been a member on here for a few years but never really intro'd myself... My name is Derek... I am 31 and have three kids... two sons 12 and 3, and a daughter who is 9. I started in the emergency services when I was 14 as a junior member at my local FD. When I was 16 I became an EMT-MAST (PA titled back in the day)... at 18 I kicked my EMS career into overdrive... I joined my local EMS station and became very active and served as Deputy Chief from 2000-2002. My entire adult life (since 18) I have worked as a career EMS provider including a duel role position as a Firefighter. In amongst that I worked part-time as a police dispatcher.

Currently, I am in my second year of Paramedic school with two semesters left to go. Starting this Fall, I will be jumping into Cardiology and Med Emergencies II. I do my field time at a busy city EMS station which has granted some really good experience. Its been a really fun and enlightening experience.

Interest wise, I love music!! concerts are a rush... piercings and tattoos, discovering and downloading new music constantly, information technology, just started in Amateur Radio as a Technician Class operator.

Personality wise... as some may have already gauged...lol... I am a pretty objective person... I state my opinion as it is and if u like it great... if not... I don't really care... I dont try to agree with ppl just to be buddy, buddy. All in all though I am a very relaxed and laid back person, very approachable and humble. I rarely ever get mad about ne thing.

That's a brief synopsis of me... My Myspace link is within my signature...

Last edited by a moderator:

traumaqueen63

Forum Probie
Hey guys! I am a 46 yr old almost divorced mother of 2 girls (9 & 13) who lives in Southern Wisconsin. Have worked in the medical field all my life as a nursing assistant,then for the past 14 years as a unit clerk in a hospital. Always wanted to be an EMT,so several months ago,I took the EMT Basic course,passed and now just waiting to get hired on by my local Fire/EMS department. I have been doing ride-alongs with them on my days off from the hospital. Obviously I love helping people - sick or not! In my spare time I love to garden,read and surf the web! I plan to be an EMT to supplement my income and I probably would do it for free, but don't tell anyone! :rolleyes:

Yugosaki

Forum Ride Along
Hello, I'm a 20 year old student in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I am technically trained at the EMR level, but heres a little background in my bumpy road already. When I (and others in my class) went to take the exam, there was a bunch of stuff on it I was not familiar with. I don't want to assign blame but I personally don't feel I was trained properly, and heard rumours afterwords the school i went to was of a low quality. As such, I'm getting back on the horse and will be taking the whole EMR program over again. I AM allowed to attempt a retest, but I'd much rather be trained properly from the start.

Anyway, I plan to be an EMT in my city and won't let a little setback stop me, so here I am.

johnrmcgee3

Forum Probie
Emtr

I am not sure about in Canada but here in the states I believe you have three tries at the test. While I know you might not believe the school did a good job; take the time to re-read the text books first and retake the test after studing them thoroughly. Sometimes it is easier to teach yourself from th source material than re-do a semesters worth of work. Just a thought, good luck in your endeavors.

Yugosaki

Forum Ride Along
It's only a month (full time) worth of schooling, and plus I know am missing ALOT of legal/liability information that my books won't have (they are american books)

I like to err on the side of caution.

ethorp

Forum Probie
hi i'm 19 i just passed my national registry emt-b and this spring i finished my wilderness ems certification its kinda cool so i'm trying to get on the local fire department

glap1950

Forum Ride Along
New Old Guy

I became a combat medic in 1979 and have been involved since in NREMT, Air Force medic and now a Army Reserve Medic. Looking forward to the refresher school. My son also just joined active duty as a 68W.
I came here for networking and info. B)

Medic744

Forum Captain
Hi My name is Stephaine (no that's not a typo) and I have been a student and medic at different levels for around 4 years. I recently received my EMT-P and am still a probie at my station for that level. I got into this field a little late but got here as fast as I could. Im 29 and have one child. My other half is an EMT-B/Firefighter and we work for the same 911 service. Not really sure what else to put on here so if ya'll want to know anything else just ask. Im not shy about anything and am a very honest person with very strong opinions so please don't be offended. :p

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome to the board. You will have fun here. enjoy!

PS
Watch out for Sasha

eageeye86

Forum Probie
Hello everyone. I've been wandering about and posting here and there for the last week or so, and I figured it was about time to introduce myself. My names Pete. I'm 23y/o and have been an EMT for about 5 1/2 years. In NY for a volunteer Corp and in PA for a paid volunteer company (they started out as a volly but as membership declined they opted to go paid 24/7 with one crew)

The story as to how I got into EMS is kinda funny so I thought I'd share it. My best friend owned a CARQUEST auto parts store in my town, and he sold Emergency Lights. I was sitting at the counter one day when I was 17 and talking with him. I mentioned that I thought it would be cool to have a light on my truck. He said "then join the fire dept or ambulance corp and you can". I dismissed the comment at first but I got to thinking about it. There was no way I was going to join my town's fire dept because they only run a dozen "real" calls a year or so, and my idiot cousins volunteered there. So I joined the ambulance corp. They had a requirement that for junior members they have to either have first responder certs or higher. They weren't going to offer any first responder courses, but they were about to start an EMT course. So I went through the course, not really caring if I did anything with it or not. I ended up going on about 80 calls that first year. (How else was I going to be able to run my green light?) After a while it became more of a responsibility thing, where I'd ask myself, 'If I don't go on the call, who will?' So the next year I was up over 120 calls. It just got better from there. I had always enjoyed helping people and EMS gave me ample opportunity to do so. As the economy took a dive my businesses folded and I had to get a job. So who was hiring? EMS.

So that's my long drawn out story that was supposed to be funny but just turned out sad. Oh well. The point is that I got into EMS for the lights, but now its more to me.

Pete

takthis1

Forum Ride Along
d-ring help!!

Hey guys, I am in a summer emt course and am having a super hard time figuring out how to use the d-rings for backboard strapping down method. I am open to all advice, please and thanks :)