The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

Martin95037

Forum Probie
Hello. I am new here. Found the forum through google while trying to find the California ambulance drivers certificate handbook. Just got my state license a week ago.

Kevin L

Forum Probie
Hi Guys, I'm an ex-paramedic and EMT (I worked in EMS for 12 years) before I got sidelined with a spinal injury.

Well, medicine does advance, and what was unfixable years ago has now been able to get fixed surgically, so I'm working on my RN, and intend to take EMT school again so I can challege the paramedic exam and get back in the field . . . and, possibly, work in the hospital.

I found this forum because I want to exchange ideas about EMS, and how it's changed over the past 20 years that I've been out of the field.

Emily Starton

Forum Lieutenant
Hi Guys, I'm an ex-paramedic and EMT (I worked in EMS for 12 years) before I got sidelined with a spinal injury.

Well, medicine does advance, and what was unfixable years ago has now been able to get fixed surgically, so I'm working on my RN, and intend to take EMT school again so I can challege the paramedic exam and get back in the field . . . and, possibly, work in the hospital.

I found this forum because I want to exchange ideas about EMS, and how it's changed over the past 20 years that I've been out of the field.
Hi, Kevin. Welcome to the forum.

Kevin L

Forum Probie
Hi, Kevin. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you very much.

I am working on my RN now, and I intend to challenge the paramedic exam after I take my NCLEX and the EMT course again.

A lot has changed in 20 years, so I wonder if I'll even recognize my field anymore after I get certified.

MDF

Forum Ride Along
My name is Matt and I'm almost 27, I am empathetic and it has been a dream of mine lately to become a paramedic so I applied to the local technical college's Paramedicine program and am currently in my 1st semester.

007EMS

Forum Ride Along
New guy. Finding my way in medical as a 2nd career. Nursing school taught me I don’t have what it takes to follow care plans for the same patient a week or two at a time. I think I’m more of a “like my patients in small and short-term doses” kind of guy. Thanks for those that have paved the EMS way.

wcspa

Forum Probie
Well, I'm bored so I'll add to this. I'm a physician assistant who has been working in EMS since 2019. I have also been a licensed paramedic in California since 2006 and was an EMT for two years prior to that in a 911 system. I've been a PA since 2012 and I have worked along the acute care continuum from EMS/prehospital, ED, hospitalist, and critical care. I am about to take my CCP-C for fun too. Beyond clinical practice, I am also adjunct faculty at two PA programs in the Southern California area. I am hoping to expand my role in EMS as a PA and help pave the road for more APPs to be involved in EMS as either advanced field provider, EMS educators, and EMS coordinators/assistant medical directors.

CharlotteGriffin

Forum Probie
Hello! My name is Charlotte and I am an EMT-B based out of SE PA. I am also the Director of Operations for a hazard-management consulting firm working to improve community resilience. Really interested in how we train our first responders and how best to serve EVERY member of the community.

Thanks!

CharlotteGriffin

Forum Probie
“like my patients in small and short-term doses”
Then you would be a great fit! It really does keep things fresh. But there are those several hour IFT calls...if you go that route. Longest I ever had to be with a PT was 5 hours on a cross-state transport.