The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

Tal

Forum Crew Member
Hi all
I just saw this theard

any way my name is Tal from Israel
I'm in the IDF paramedics course which started in december 2008

when we finish the course we will be assigned as a combat oriented medical corpse, in the so called hot spots such as gaza strip.

jason152318

Forum Probie
Hello.. My name is Jason. I am from Racine, Wi. I have been a Firefighter/EMT for a little over 4 years. I have been an EMT Intermediate/99 for almsot 2 years and recently took a bridge class to paramedic. Which wasnt much of a "bridge" I might add. I work for a local Fire Department part time and work full time for a private ambulance service in which I am stationed out of a volunteer FD and only do 911 which is a break from the other private transports. I was going to go to school to be an engineer out of High School but became obsessed with firefighting and EMS insted. And have been since. I am hoping to get married this year and maybe buy the dream home. Ha! Since now is the time to buy they say. I also do short term medical missions trips to other countries when I get the Chance for Word of Life Ministries. It is an amazing ministry oppurtunity for those that are interested. Good to be part of this wb site and hope to talk to more of you soon. take care and God Bless.
Jason

mari-berry

Forum Ride Along
another newbie here

Hi there, i want to introduce myslef... ummmmm

Geezz, i feel like im standing in front of a stadium full of people staring at me... Im a bit nervouse now.. :unsure:

1. this is the first forum ive ever been a part of.

2. in college I was a Criminal Justice major.. thats what i wanted to do when i grew up.

3. When i had my foot in the Criminal Justice world my marriage started going down hill as did my enthusiasm towards my career.

4. got divorced and settled into a Mon-Fri job full of business meetings, lunch dates and meaningless office chit-chat around the water cooler.

5. for the past 8 I have thought about getting into the medical field. I have enrolled in school with the full intent on making this medical thing happen... and then dropped out because i think i might be to old to start.

6. i never really told anyone of my medical field dreams... so the few times that i have brought it up to friends i have gotten discouraged by their reaction. Not that the reactions have been bad...... i just dont know if the disbelief is because i never mentiond it before (and im a TALKER i would have mentioned it by now!!) or if its because they dont think i can cut it.

7. I have finally decided to just go for it... Im now going to night school to freshen up on my math skills and im prepared to finally make this happen !!

8. but i dont know what to expect and what the road ahead of me looks like.. So i have come here hoping to find tips, advice answers to my dumb questions and maybe (hopefully) make a couple friends along the way :)

Hello, my name is MARI

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Hello.. My name is Jason. I am from Racine, Wi. I have been a Firefighter/EMT for a little over 4 years. I have been an EMT Intermediate/99 for almsot 2 years and recently took a bridge class to paramedic. Which wasnt much of a "bridge" I might add. I work for a local Fire Department part time and work full time for a private ambulance service in which I am stationed out of a volunteer FD and only do 911 which is a break from the other private transports. I was going to go to school to be an engineer out of High School but became obsessed with firefighting and EMS insted. And have been since. I am hoping to get married this year and maybe buy the dream home. Ha! Since now is the time to buy they say. I also do short term medical missions trips to other countries when I get the Chance for Word of Life Ministries. It is an amazing ministry oppurtunity for those that are interested. Good to be part of this wb site and hope to talk to more of you soon. take care and God Bless.
Jason

Welcome to the life from a fellow cheesehead. I'm up in the fox valley but not too terribly far from you.

netters311

Forum Probie
Struggling newbie here!! ;-)

hello. My name is Jet and im from Missouri. I just finished my EMT-B class Friday. I just took my NREMT practicals yesterday (01/24/09). I failed with flying colors, both my assessment and skills station. I know the problem was my nerves. I am a terrible test taker anyway. I made the most ignorant mistakes yesterday. I know my steps, ive practiced religiously. I will retry on Feb 14. I am even more nervous now that I have failed. Any suggestions to pass would be great. I had to easiest assessment too. GRRR!! Im so mad at myself. I know I wont be so lucky next time.
Anyway, WHEN I pass my EMT-B, I plan on going thru with medic classes. I have to work as an EMT-B at least a year before I can take the class though.

Im glad I found this website. There seems to be alot of people here I can learn from. I look forward to reading posts from everyone!!

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
hello. My name is Jet and im from Missouri. I just finished my EMT-B class Friday. I just took my NREMT practicals yesterday (01/24/09). I failed with flying colors, both my assessment and skills station. I know the problem was my nerves. I am a terrible test taker anyway. I made the most ignorant mistakes yesterday. I know my steps, ive practiced religiously. I will retry on Feb 14. I am even more nervous now that I have failed. Any suggestions to pass would be great. I had to easiest assessment too. GRRR!! Im so mad at myself. I know I wont be so lucky next time.
Anyway, WHEN I pass my EMT-B, I plan on going thru with medic classes. I have to work as an EMT-B at least a year before I can take the class though.

Im glad I found this website. There seems to be alot of people here I can learn from. I look forward to reading posts from everyone!!

Welcome! You now know your weaknesses and that will help you work toward your next exam. Stay focused on what you are doing and try not to be intimidated by who is around you. Get plenty of sleep prior to testing.

Where about in Missouri are you from?

Good luck!!

netters311

Forum Probie
Im from Columbia. Nice to see a fellow Missourian!! Thanks for the tips. Im hoping that since I have been through the process I wont be as nervous. But, I doubt it. lol In practicals, I know my weakness is the long back board. And of course that was what I got in my random skills station. I go so freaked out over strap issues that I forgot to immobilize the head. UH DUH!!! Definitely not a shining moment for me!!

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Im from Columbia. Nice to see a fellow Missourian!! Thanks for the tips. Im hoping that since I have been through the process I wont be as nervous. But, I doubt it. lol In practicals, I know my weakness is the long back board. And of course that was what I got in my random skills station. I go so freaked out over strap issues that I forgot to immobilize the head. UH DUH!!! Definitely not a shining moment for me!!
Welcome to EMTLife!

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
Hi there, i want to introduce myslef... ummmmm

Geezz, i feel like im standing in front of a stadium full of people staring at me... Im a bit nervouse now.. :unsure:

1. this is the first forum ive ever been a part of.

2. in college I was a Criminal Justice major.. thats what i wanted to do when i grew up.

3. When i had my foot in the Criminal Justice world my marriage started going down hill as did my enthusiasm towards my career.

4. got divorced and settled into a Mon-Fri job full of business meetings, lunch dates and meaningless office chit-chat around the water cooler.

5. for the past 8 I have thought about getting into the medical field. I have enrolled in school with the full intent on making this medical thing happen... and then dropped out because i think i might be to old to start.

6. i never really told anyone of my medical field dreams... so the few times that i have brought it up to friends i have gotten discouraged by their reaction. Not that the reactions have been bad...... i just dont know if the disbelief is because i never mentiond it before (and im a TALKER i would have mentioned it by now!!) or if its because they dont think i can cut it.

7. I have finally decided to just go for it... Im now going to night school to freshen up on my math skills and im prepared to finally make this happen !!

8. but i dont know what to expect and what the road ahead of me looks like.. So i have come here hoping to find tips, advice answers to my dumb questions and maybe (hopefully) make a couple friends along the way :)

Hello, my name is MARI

Welcome aboard Mari! And dont sweat the age, or your friends disbelief. They arnt the ones doing it, you are. And to give you an idea, Im 33, and comming from the IT field.

Goldbird

Forum Ride Along
Hi!

Hi, my name is Tim and I'm 25. I'm a Stage Manager who works on large-scale theatrical productions that use a lot of heavy automation (usually just have sprains with dancers, etc, but things can get serious quickly with what's moving around on a dark stage).
Looking to do an EMR course soon to be more trained in responding to emergencies, and as a possible job in the 2 months I get for vacation after every 4 months. Considering taking a break and doing it full time as well, we'll see how the next couple months go.

giulianos3

Forum Ride Along
First, welcome to EMTLife!

Reply to this thread with a brief introduction so that we can learn a little about you. We hope you stick around for a while and contribute to our community.

Thanks!

My name is Sue and I am an NREMT-B in Tucson, AZ. I received my certification in May 2008. I currently manage a Health Office in a local high school. I took the course to help enhance my knowledge of emergency medicine, and it has certainly come in handy. Believe it or not we have all kinds of serious medical issues at the high school level

:rolleyes:

Fredoman

Forum Probie
Howdy there, Brand new EMT-B.

Received my Basic in Flagstaff Az and loved the class. 24 years old and will eventually become a Firefighter. Putting myself through school for my Business degree. Will begin applying to begin working in the field and already find EMS more interesting that a Business Administration cubicle. hope all is well and good luck out there....

Griff

Forum Crew Member
Obligatory new guy post

Hey folks,

Hello, I'm Griff. I was told that this forum was an excellent resource for people just starting out (like myself). My active duty obligation is nearly over (54 days to go) and I am starting the EMT-B program at the University of South Alabama in Mobile in May. Hopefully, I can glean some wisdom from the folks here during my courses :) .

About myself: I have been in the military for nearly five years; I have been in military law enforcement for all of that time (MA). I completed my AA (CJ) and BA (Psychology) while active duty, which is allowing me to utilize my VA benefits for EMT-B training (which is good, because the US economy seems to have tanked while I was deployed). I am quite excited about my upcoming studies this summer and would welcome any advice. Thanks! ^_^

EeyoreEMT

Forum Crew Member
Hello guys/gals from Ohio

I found this site yesterday and wished I had found it a couple years ago. My name is Linette, I work in a rural EMS 911 response area which our company is responsible for 75% of the county's calls-there are two of our trucks to cover this-and we are at closest 30 miles from any hospital. I have 6 years experience as a basic, running 72-96 hours a week until 2005, which I also was a paramedic student, one of the oldest in the class, I was called Mom. lol
Almost halfway through the course, I blew 3 discs, 1 (L3) half-way through my spinal cord causing permanent nerve damage to my R leg. When the injury happened, I was told it was just a pinched nerve to follow up with family doc, which I did. The hospital didn't do any testing- no x-rays, ct or MRI, even though it took three people to undress me, no movement below the knee on R leg. All reflexes were intack, they said no emergency. So, I went back to work, thinking I was a wimp, to suck it up, which I thot I was, only to find out that after I had an MRI at the request of my family doc and a apt with a neurosurgeon, had been working with a disc in my spinal cord for almost 2 months. The surgeon freeked out when he saw the MRI, asked if I walked in there, questioned who I was. I'm like what the hell. He said, by looking at the MRI and x-rays, I should be paralyzed from the waist, be about 65 - 70 years old and about 275-300 lbs. I'm like Thanks doc!! I'm 5'6", 130 lbs. and was 34 at the time. He said I would never work again, I'm like noooo, I love my job. I went back to work 6 weeks later, way too soon, blew another disc 6 months later. Was off 6 months that time. I only lasted until Nov. 2007 when I could no longer safely run with just me and one other person. I can't lift 3-400lbs anymore. I had to quit. I still to critical assists, we call them 3rds, cause we get to have 3 people on the truck!!! A gift.
I'm a single mom of two excellent teenage boys, 16 & 17, the youngest wanting to be a tactical medic, plus he is a pyro. (started young, had to allow supervised fire lessons when we camped, which curbed the starting fires when I wasn't home) teaching him about fire and the way fire "works" and allowing him to safely experiment on different items (never explosives or stuff like that) supervised and safely performed, starting about the age of 5, now he is respectfull of fire and its capabilities, and my house never burnt down!!!
After I had to quit my job, and my fiance broke up with me, I lost my house, my quad cab 4x4 truck (I loved that truck!) and had to file bankruptsy last year.
Last week is just talked with the nursing director at the college I used to attend, and am planning on returning to get my RN and maybe onto PA. I am I bit scared though, I can run a code, but forget how to do algebra, which was my best subject in school 20 years ago. Now it terrifies me that I won't be able to pass the entrance tests!!
Well, anyway, I have lots of experience and many different types of uncommon calls, plus, it sucked, cause being a medic student, i was allow to perform medic skills on the truck "supervised", then after the surgery, not allowed anymore, like I forget how to start ivs, or how to intubate, or give Narcan or run a code myself. So my boss put me with new medics, who would freek out, look at me, panic, ask what to do, i would ask them what are our protocols, "I don't know!!!" then i would tell them what our protocols were and sometimes, "do you want a suggestion from a dumb basic for once??" actually worked. Even though I wasn't known to the the fun one to break the rules, cause my best friend was the Ast. General Manager of the company, not that I told on everything, just if it involved property damage or performace unnacceptable to the company, I was respected, I was honest and when the crap hit the fan, I did know what to do and how to best use our county's resources for the benefit of the pts. Seriously, I have been on the phone to dispatch, listening to a call, they can't find the road cause they're not from around here, and directions are like this-not kidding-go 5 miles S on 39, turn by "Kangaroo Crossing" (older residents call an old bridge this from a story some 50 years ago), turn R at the 2nd Mayham Rd, take the 3 dirt road on the L and turn by the white barn with electric fence with Holstein cows in field. Go through gate, pt is in back milking parlor down on floor.

HardcoreEMT18

Forum Ride Along
Hey Everyone

Hi everybody, my name is Jared ..I live in North Dakota and work as a volunteer on my local ambulance service. I enjoy what I do and find it very exciting. I am 18 years old and currently a senior in high school. I will be going to college to become a Paramedic next year. I cant wait to start school and become more in depth in the exciting world of EMS!!

ARFiremedic

Forum Ride Along
Another new member

Hello everyone,

My name is Tom and live in Arkansas. I have been lurking in the shadows for a bit and and thought I might go ahead and jump in.
I have been in public service all my life. I am a NREMT-P, FF, Rescue diver and a glutton for punishment. I work for a large public service in Arkansas. We have all types of work enviroments from metro to rural. Just depends to what station you are asssigned to. We cover 5 different counties and have about 40 trucks out at a time.
I have noticed that there are alot of new EMT's and Medics here. I look forward to meeting people and will be glad to help in anyway I can. This is a great site with alot of resources. Have a great day, Tom;)

mhink3989

Forum Ride Along
Hello!
I'm Melissa. Known in My EMS world at PINK, Princess, Kudja, Pineapple or Cloud.
I'm 19
From CT
EMT-B for 1.5 yrs.
Volly Up at EHAC & SEMS
Looking to go Paid somewhere ASAP
Currently in Medic 10' Class! Love it!
idk what else to say about myself: any questions just ask! =)

traumaticd

Forum Ride Along
Intro

My name is Dave Turner. I am an EMT for the County of Santa Clara California I'm also the Assistant Chief Steward for our union NEMSA. Ive been on the job 15 years 5 volunteer FD and 10 on a county ALS ambulance. I'm married have 3 kids and couldn't be happier. I do graphic design as a side job and make custom paramedic and EMT themed shirts. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help out in anyway.

Dave

SurfMedic

Forum Ride Along
Hey people, friends call me Freels, I'm 19, college student at UNC Wilmington. Currently taking EMT-B course at cape fear college while also full time pre-nursing courses at wilmington.