The division of labor between partners.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Company policy is that the attendant attends the entire shift, so the division of labor remains fairly constant throughout the shift.

At the start, the attendant checks the back for stock, drug/AED exp dates, linens, and 02. The driver checks fluids, lights and all that. Both of us have checklists, but if one of us is running late we might do both.

During a call, the attendant does the talking and assessment, and directs the driver to get whatever else he needs, like vitals or a medlist. Usually this gets done without asking if you've worked with your partner for any length of time. At the hospital the attendant gives a report at triage and bedside, and will help the staff at the smaller hospitals getting the patient situated. After this the report gets written and signed, while the driver cleans the back and makes up the cot. If he notices anything missing he'll restock, but this is technically the attendants responsibility.

I have no problem spelling the driver if we've had a lot of long distance transfers or move ups, attending keeps me awake. Some people though, if it's not their day to drive, they are not getting behind the wheel period. The attendant is expected to get out and spot the driver backing up. Backing up accidents without a spotter can easily result in termination.

At the end of the shift, the driver fuels the truck and the attending waits in the god-awful line at the gas station so we can get out of their quickly without getting shot....

Back at base we have a car wash setup and overhead pressure washers, so if we have time the truck gets handwashed, if not it goes through the car wash. The driver usually starts drying it while the attendant mops and wipes down the back and fills out a resupply form. The driver will generally mop and vacuum the cab. We're big on clean trucks where I work, so both people need to clean. After that the attendant squares the PCRs and log away, and the driver gives the keys, portable, and fuel slip to dispatch.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
My "duties"
-Advising my partner on driving, such as when to 3rd lane and whatnot.
-I take all patients, which means I do all the reports, which are ePCR.
-Compiling the paperwork at the end of the shift.
- All patient care that absolutely does not take 2 people to do. I take my own history, I set up my own IVs, draw up my own meds, do my own vitals, 12 leads etc etc etc. My partner used to do some of this, but over time has lost the "privilege" due to multiple issues.
-I do 95% of all the patient care interaction with facilities and fire.
-I am responsible for 75% of the routing, my partner is not very good at getting around on his own.
-I do about 80% of the "planning", such as we we should park, what to grab, what to do with the gurney, how to remove the patient from the house, etc.
-All non radio communication with dispatch, hospitals, and our supervisor. My partner does not carry a cell phone.
-Secondary stocking and inventory. (I have to double check my partner's work.)
-"Deep" cleaning the cab and back of amb. My partner's definition of this does not match mine by a long shot, so I end up doing it.
-Secondary decon after big calls (see above).
-Bring the computer to the back from the cab at the beginning of calls.

Sorry but you need a new partner, the guy cant figure out where to park, what to do with the stretcher, cant find his way around the city, determine how to drive, or when emergent responce is neccesary, he isnt allowed to take vitals anymore, you need to re-check his cleaning....anything else?

Im all for helping my partner out but Im no babysitter, you carry your weight or its the highway.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
You're preaching to the choir.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Company policy is that the attendant attends the entire shift, so the division of labor remains fairly constant throughout the shift.

At the start, the attendant checks the back for stock, drug/AED exp dates, linens, and 02. The driver checks fluids, lights and all that. Both of us have checklists, but if one of us is running late we might do both.

During a call, the attendant does the talking and assessment, and directs the driver to get whatever else he needs, like vitals or a medlist. Usually this gets done without asking if you've worked with your partner for any length of time. At the hospital the attendant gives a report at triage and bedside, and will help the staff at the smaller hospitals getting the patient situated. After this the report gets written and signed, while the driver cleans the back and makes up the cot. If he notices anything missing he'll restock, but this is technically the attendants responsibility.

I have no problem spelling the driver if we've had a lot of long distance transfers or move ups, attending keeps me awake. Some people though, if it's not their day to drive, they are not getting behind the wheel period. The attendant is expected to get out and spot the driver backing up. Backing up accidents without a spotter can easily result in termination.

At the end of the shift, the driver fuels the truck and the attending waits in the god-awful line at the gas station so we can get out of their quickly without getting shot....

Back at base we have a car wash setup and overhead pressure washers, so if we have time the truck gets handwashed, if not it goes through the car wash. The driver usually starts drying it while the attendant mops and wipes down the back and fills out a resupply form. The driver will generally mop and vacuum the cab. We're big on clean trucks where I work, so both people need to clean. After that the attendant squares the PCRs and log away, and the driver gives the keys, portable, and fuel slip to dispatch.

You all have a carwash setup? Spoiled!!!!

And is division of labor an issue in a lot of places? One of the places I work the volunteers are not technically required to do any of the duties not directly related for the run (there is one full-timer on per 24 and 3 total on during weekdays who are supposed to do this) but we all voluntarily help out with station duties, and things like washing the trucks. I find it hard to believe that anyone who works in such a critical team environment wouldn't change their attitudes after a few days on the job and seeing what others expect of each other!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Spoiled?! My PT private service has a service crew that washes and restocks the trucks after every shift! Talk about spoiled!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Spoiled?! My PT private service has a service crew that washes and restocks the trucks after every shift! Talk about spoiled!

Same here! Only thing we are responsible is garbage, our bags and nasty decons, they didn't make that mess.

Our carwash thing is awesome. It's exactly like you would find at a self-service carwash minus the quarters. Any employee is allowed to us it for their POV during certain times of the day. Our MD is always washing his bicycle in it, pretty funny to see.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Same here! Only thing we are responsible is garbage, our bags and nasty decons, they didn't make that mess.

Our carwash thing is awesome. It's exactly like you would find at a self-service carwash minus the quarters. Any employee is allowed to us it for their POV during certain times of the day. Our MD is always washing his bicycle in it, pretty funny to see.

We have the self service is thing as well, with two pressure washer guns with one mounted on the ceiling. The thing is awesome, and we get a lot of leftover stuff from a car wash owned by one of the company owners. There is no policy on POV use, but it is understood that its for company use until the bosses go home.

We also have an actual car wash, which everyone always says sounds great. It's not. It's terrifying. You have to drive through it. Think about the last time you were in the carwash, could you see what was in front of you half the time? There is a reason that commercial car washes pull your car through, so you don't ram the side of it. Plus the thing doesn't really do a very good job getting the truck clean. As long as I get back within 20 minutes of EOS, I just handwash it.