The crew on an American Ambulance

Dutch-EMT

BScN
Well, as a Dutch i've a couple questions about the American EMS system.
There are different levels in EMS, like EMT basic, EMT intermediate, EMT paramedic.
There are also different types of ambulances (BLS / ALS)?

How does this system works?
Is the BLS ambulance only used to transport patiënts between doctor and nursinghomes? Or as first responder? And what crew is on a BLS ambulance (only EMT-B?)

And is the ALS ambulancecrew always consist of a couple paramedics, ore is it a paramedic with a EMT-I?

Is this in the whole USA the same? Or is there a big difference between the different states?

Well, we also have programmes here about american EMS called paramedics.
I always see the fire-department at an emeregency scene.
Are there paramedics on board of a fire truck?

Just a couple questions.

mct601

RN/NRP
You're pretty close actually.

The problem is there is no blanket design the whole country goes by- each state and each agency/dept is different.

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
EMT-B is an Emergency Medical Technician-Basic. About 120 hours of classroom instruction plus a few emergency room/ambulance rotations.

EMT-B's can't read EKG's and can only give a select few medications.

An EMT-I is a step above. They can read 3-lead EKG's and give a good deal more medications. Obviously much more classroom instruction and many more in-the-field rotations.

An EMT-P is more commonly called a paramedic. They are the highest level of EMS (generally).

BLS is Basic Life Support. You will find only EMT-B's on BLS ambulances, generally doing inter-facility transfers. No monitors or meds.

ALS is Advanced Life Support. You will find EMT-I's and paramedics on these ambo's. Monitors, meds, the whole deal.

Some cities run medical calls through their fire departments. All firefighters in such regions take an EMT-B course, some are required to go all the way to paramedic. They typically do shifts on both a firetruck and an ambulance. I know it's absurd to see fire engines show up when someone is having chest pain, but there are those who insist that it works.