The Biggest Questions: A Poll

What's EMS to you?

• I'm an EMS trained person "under" paramedic level.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I'm a paramedic.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I am a nurse, MD, Physician's Assistant or Nurse Practitioner, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I see EMS as being primarily a "street"-to hospital experience

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I see EMS as being any organized and trained preparation for medical emergencies anywhere.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • I am under 30 years of age.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • I am over 30 years of age.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I am a volunteer.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I see EMS as a job. I can and will move on.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I see EMS as a lifestyle, to dedicate the rest of my life to.

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The two NPs I've seen both tried to kill me. One prescribed 20mg of Flexeril for back pain. The pharmacist saw that and said, "No, that will stop your breathing. 10mg is the limit."

Huh? I've been on Flexeril before after an injury and I was taking two 10mg pills a day. Flexeril isn't a strong enough muscle relaxant to stop you from breathing with an extra 10mg, so I'm confused.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Huh? I've been on Flexeril before after an injury and I was taking two 10mg pills a day. Flexeril isn't a strong enough muscle relaxant to stop you from breathing with an extra 10mg, so I'm confused.

The dosing information says,

For most patients, the recommended dose of FLEXERIL is 5 mg three times a day. Based on individual patient response, the dose may be increased to 10 mg three times a day.

Source: http://www.rxlist.com/flexeril-drug.htm

Pretty clear that 5mg is standard, 10mg is the max. Two 10mg pills doesn't appear on the dosage information at all.

Anu

Forum Crew Member
When speaking of EMS as a lifestyle, does it include the possibility of 'advancing' into other positions within the healthcare system, or is this exclusively referring to maintaining the role of a pre-hospital care provider?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You don't "advance". Different career ladder.

EMT etc just gives you a leg up on some basic stuff you will need to take again for any other job. In fact, the EMT/street mindset will need to be shelved if you go to nurse school etc.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Thank LucidResq

Newbies, pay attention to Lucid and not these druggies? B)

irish_handgrenade

Forum Lieutenant
How am I supposed to answer that considering more than one answer meets my criteria?

I'm a Paramedic under 30

LINUS GET OUT OF MY HEEEEEAAAAADD!!
LOL every time I'm about to post something or I do post something you post almost the exact same thing! It's a very strange feeling...

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Newbies, pay attention to Lucid and not these druggies? B)

Aw shucks thanks :rolleyes:

I agree. EMS experience is nice in that you will know how to talk with people and not lose your nerve when stuff hits the fan, but in most aspects you're back at square one with everyone else who has little to no experience if you're pursuing nursing, medicine, RT, etc....

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Pretty clear that 5mg is standard, 10mg is the max. Two 10mg pills doesn't appear on the dosage information at all.

I'm pretty sure in order to take 10mg three times a day you have to take more than two 10mg pills.....

Anyway, from the same website
The most common effects associated with cyclobenzaprine overdose are drowsiness and tachycardia. Less frequent manifestations include tremor, agitation, coma, ataxia, hypertension, slurred speech, confusion, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and hallucinations. Rare but potentially critical manifestations of overdose are cardiac arrest, chest pain, cardiac dysrhythmias, severe hypotension, seizures, and neuroleptic malignant syndrome. Changes in the electrocardiogram, particularly in QRS axis or width, are clinically significant indicators of cyclobenzaprine toxicity....Signs and symptoms of toxicity may develop rapidly after cyclobenzaprine overdose; therefore, hospital monitoring is required as soon as possible. The acute oral LD50 of FLEXERIL is approximately 338 and 425 mg/kg in mice and rats, respectively.

20mg is not going to shut down the respiratory dive which was my major point.