the 100% directionless thread

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief

M3dicalR3dn3ck

Idolizes Johnny and Roy
For some reason today's giving off the Oak Ridge Boys' "Elvira" kind of vibes

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I just scored a $18,000 raise for my same job.

Yaassss. 86k is better than 68k.

Btw for a 24/48 or 56 hour average shift multiplying your hourly by 3328 = your gross annual.

Guess this is my reward for sticking around through the last two years.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Btw for a 24/48 or 56 hour average shift multiplying your hourly by 3328 = your gross annual.

If you’re non-exempt.

I have to use an Xcel model to figure out what I take home the stupid half hours that the FD uses.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok ankle, WTF? Normal day off, kinda lazy couch potato kinda day, but interspersed with getting up throughout (if nothing else making my FitBit happy with hourly steps heh)
Then I'm about to run to the store real quick, put on my shoes and as soon as I stand up, bam

Sudden, sharp pain left ankle, can't even walk down the hallway without limping like I just sprained/strained it...

Except I can't think of anything I did to actually sprain or strain it, like literally nothing happened, fine one moment, hurting the next...

Like had to cancel my planned run, Tylenol, some icing, and a day worth of rest later, a lot better but still just sore...

Annoying

If you’re non-exempt.

I have to use an Xcel model to figure out what I take home the stupid half hours that the FD uses.
I just worked a few paybperiods without any extra OT and extrapolate that out to the whole year (x24 since our pay periods are 15 days). Though that's good for the Net base pay, I can just look at my End of Year pay stub and it'll tell me what I grossed the whole year.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok ankle, WTF? Normal day off, kinda lazy couch potato kinda day, but interspersed with getting up throughout (if nothing else making my FitBit happy with hourly steps heh)
Then I'm about to run to the store real quick, put on my shoes and as soon as I stand up, bam

Sudden, sharp pain left ankle, can't even walk down the hallway without limping like I just sprained/strained it...

Except I can't think of anything I did to actually sprain or strain it, like literally nothing happened, fine one moment, hurting the next...

Like had to cancel my planned run, Tylenol, some icing, and a day worth of rest later, a lot better but still just sore...

Annoying

I just worked a few paybperiods without any extra OT and extrapolate that out to the whole year (x24 since our pay periods are 15 days). Though that's good for the Net base pay, I can just look at my End of Year pay stub and it'll tell me what I grossed the whole year.
Old age. Time to hit the Barcalounger…

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Looks like the only competitive division is is the AL West this year. here's to the Mariners making the post season again.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

Nice dude! I got a huge pay increase going back to the ambulance, but I also just came back to the ambulance in time for an even bigger pay increase that only current employees got. Had I gotten hired like a week or two later, I wouldn't have had such a nice pay increase. I would've been paid less than my initial offer to go back to the ambulance. I still would've been happy with the pay anyways. It's much better than what I've been getting for the past couple of years.

Last edited:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Nice dude! I got a huge pay increase going back to the ambulance, but I also just came back to the ambulance in time for an even bigger pay increase that only current employees got. Had I gotten hired like a week or two later, I wouldn't have had such a nice pay increase. I would've been paid less than my initial offer to go back to the ambulance. I still would've been happy with the pay anyways. It's much better than what I've been getting for the past couple of years.
Yeah flight actually doesn’t pay too well.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Looks like the only competitive division is is the AL West this year. here's to the Mariners making the post season again.
How about those Orioles? They’re neck and neck with TB.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
How about those Orioles? They’re neck and neck with TB.
I'm not sure what is more surprising...the Orioles being good or the Yankess and Red Sox being that bad.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, apparantly I learned, that according to my Captain at least, it is "inefficient" and a "waste of time" to measure Breaths per Minute by actually counting the breaths in a minute. Like to him, apparently even the "breaths in 15 sec x4" is too long and I should be able to on 100% every patient, give a number after a few seconds observation of two or three breaths...

And that our Pt with slight difficulty breathing with audible wheezes and low O2 sats that we put on Oxygen, but otherwise stable and we were just monitoring until the ambulance actually arrived, is no exception .....

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Well, apparantly I learned, that according to my Captain at least, it is "inefficient" and a "waste of time" to measure Breaths per Minute by actually counting the breaths in a minute. Like to him, apparently even the "breaths in 15 sec x4" is too long and I should be able to on 100% every patient, give a number after a few seconds observation of two or three breaths...

And that our Pt with slight difficulty breathing with audible wheezes and low O2 sats that we put on Oxygen, but otherwise stable and we were just monitoring until the ambulance actually arrived, is no exception .....
How dare thee challenge old fireman dogma and lore! No soup for you.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I’d posit that a “count” of breaths per minute is a waste of time and we really only care about assessing effective ventilation or a rate that’s TOO FAST or TOO SLOW at the BLS level.

I think it’s time better used doing something that matters.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I’d posit that a “count” of breaths per minute is a waste of time and we really only care about assessing effective ventilation or a rate that’s TOO FAST or TOO SLOW at the BLS level.

I think it’s time better used doing something that matters.
I’d argue even at the ALS level. Does a rate of 12 vs 14 vs 16 make a real difference in our patients? I can’t remember the last time I have actually counted for a full minute. It’s usually a couple of seconds while first walking up to them. Does it look somewhat normal? Does it look fast or very fast? Does it look slow or very slow? Accessory muscle use? Retractions? Tripod? Talking? Etc

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Fast or slow and work of breathing. And then document what the EtCO2 said assuming good waveform.