the 100% directionless thread

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I don't think it was my company. I forgot to say that we couldn't be dispatched/respond to calls on the freeway. I didn't understand why, we were close to one, but I am guessing the CHP thing you mentioned? I dunno.

Both Santa Clara County and Alameda County (ALCO) had supervisor SUVs. Both responded to calls. When I was at ALCO for a hot minute (I failed FTO), their supervisors responded to echo level calls (essentially cardiac arrest) or burns (they carried sodium thiosulftate, ambulances did not). This was in 2015 when it was Paramedics Plus.

Santa Clara had QRV in Sunnyvale. It is not staffed by supervisors. They had it before Rural/Metro took over the 911 contract. It was briefly gone, but came back.

I haven't been following on Bay Area ambulance stuff since 2021 so I don't know what has changed since then. l

Last edited:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Correct. And yes, @Aprz my understanding is that there was one other county whose had their first responder certificate approved through CHP to use QRV’s in that manner.

Theoretically they’d been doing it for years with supes when things were stretched thin or if they were needed, but these are actual stand alone paramedic shifts augmenting their system.

I think the other company was either Santa Clara or ALCO.
Napa County has been doing that for a while. Not sure if that's the other county you were thinking of.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Napa County has been doing that for a while. Not sure if that's the other county you were thinking of.
I can’t recall ATM. This was over a decade ago when I had asked one of the supervisors training me how we were legally allowed to first respond and intercept when needed.

Last edited:

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
My biggest physiology nerd moment is listening to Duality by Slipknot and assuming the lyrics, "I push my fingers into my eyes /
It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache" referred to the oculocardiac reflex. The fun part is that I looked at the song background and the assumption may be correct, as Corey Taylor is quoted as saying that the lyrics stem from applying pressure to the eyes to relieve a migraine.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
34359E22-D957-433E-818F-D5ECAC955572.jpeg

Happy cinco de drinko.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
9k=.jpg

Seirende

Love that I can walk into an urgent care at 10:30 pm and get strep test results in about twenty minutes and a dose of antibiotics on the spot, with a prescription to pick up tomorrow.
I deeply appreciate having such easy access to basic medical care.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Making a Pavlova. If you know you know.

#Bluey

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Lovely... over on Big Island, a Hawaii County Fire Department ambulance suffered an engine fire while transporting a patient... luckily no one was hurt, and a second ambulance continued the transport without further incident, but still, no bueno...

Seirende

I'm such a professional roughhouser that I can absentmindedly mount a effective defense against three young niblings while I focus on the plot of a new Bluey episode.

It does help that preschoolers are amateurs at absolutely everything.