the 100% directionless thread

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Shot a text to a few friends that said, "Just got vaxxed!" There was some subsequent confusion as my pretend grandma thought that I was using a silly word for "waxed."
Vaxxed or Waxed... either/both might be good.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I'm not 100% sure why they're giving us paper cards when we have a state immunization registry. Maybe not everyone is on the registry or something like that.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
EyjVDU3UcAMZAHj.jpg

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Shot a text to a few friends that said, "Just got vaxxed!" There was some subsequent confusion as my pretend grandma thought that I was using a silly word for "waxed."
Pretend grandma?

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Well I’m stuck in one of the crap ambulances today. No radio and the seats don’t go up and down so I’m going to have to appropriate a pillow from a hospital to sit on. I also think I burned any chances of moving over to the 911 job at work because I had to call out a few times.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Now the rear AC died.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
How manageable do you think it is working full time?
It's challenging but doable from a logistics & timing perspective. Each of my three hour classes require between one and three hours of prep time (an exam is, I would say, 4 to 8 hours of dedicated time, depending on the subject -- marketing on the low end, for example, while operations management is on the higher end). My classes are fully synchronous and online (prior to COVID, fully in person), which makes scheduling a bit of a challenge.

I've gotten a lot of value from doing part-time, I love being able to apply things I learn at work. Full time wasn't an option for me, and I am rather glad, in retrospect, because full time is much more about job-switching, in my experience, while I was looking primarily for career advancement in the same field (and maybe a bit of mobility across fields in the future, hence why I took classes in a couple of emerging areas of interest).

The lady I pretend is my grandma because I have no nice grandmothers left and everyone should have a nice grandmother
Everybody deserves a grandparent! The two-generation distance is such a positive thing.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, had two actual, pull hose and shoot with water fires yesterday.

The first one was kinda ridiculous, a shopping cart of all things. How does one set a regular wire frame shopping cart on fire?! Other than the cart nothing really identifiable, and it was off the side if the road in the brush (fortunately not in the brush) by the little creek, so definitely chronics/homeless.

The other was an actual 2 alarm fully involved house. Single story, single family detached residence, but one of those neighborhoods where there's not a lot of space inbetween houses so exposures were a concern. We were walking about, starting to go inside when the BC aide runs up to us "No, defensive only! It's starting to collapse!" 😬😬

So the house was a loss, but no one was hurt so that was good.

Crazy thing is that we initially got dispatched to a different structure fire call in a different part of that area, then as we were pulling out of Station, our Captain noticed on the MDT this second fire also being dispatched. We could actually see the fire as we were responding to the first one, thought we saw some smoke from that one, but the first in engine called a rubbish fire they could handle, so we turned around and headed for the house.
Along with the other companies going to that, so there was a bit of confusion as everyone was rerouting and changing Tac channels on the radio and the other Battalion Chief was taking over, but nothing too crazy.

Meanwhile over on the other side of town there was a barricaded suspect in some hotel and there was some of our units had responded as well... we were like Dispatch must've been going crazy!

And we still had 5 medicals on top of all that as well lol. The last one, guy was naked, incontinent, altered AF (he was like 4-1-1 GCS), and laying on a mattress that had us looking around for crawling things... moved him to the ambulance thanks to plenty of sheets, medics started getting ready to PATI him (Pharmaceutical Assisted Tracheal Intubation, basically the local RSI). And the Glucometer simply said "Lo". An amp of D50 only brought it up to 42. But hey, dude was waking up a little. Another amp, and his BSG was still in the 50s, but far more awake. The medics went ahead and cleared us at that point, so not too sure of they decided to intubate afterall or just keep waking him up with sugar.

Before that (like right after we got back into Station from the fire) we had a lady (would say little old lady, but the first part of that didn't really apply). Simple ground level fall, no injuries, she really didn't want to go, but we couldn't get a BP, and noticed her heart rate was really irregular. So the medics put her on the monitor. And began printing lots of strip. Medic pointed to one bit that even I recognized, and said she should really go to the hospital because an AED would have shocked her... yeah she had the occasional runs of V-Tach....

The rest were routine, only really remember the first because it was like a 15 min response time to the prison waayyyy down the road. But EMS was already there with the patient loaded up and basically we got waived off as soon as we pulled up lol

So definitely an interesting day to say the least

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
2 am is a weird time. I somehow got caught up in reading city ordinances. Legalese is humorous at all times but especially so when you're sleep deprived. Haha they used the phrase "for use in parentally injecting controlled substances" in their definition of drug paraphernalia.

Also, I personally want to know the precise definition of "indecent dress" so I can be sure I'm not crossing the line in our city parks.

Last edited:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
2 am is a weird time. I somehow got caught up in reading city ordinances. Legalese is humorous at all times but especially so when you're sleep deprived. Haha they used the phrase "for use in parentally injecting controlled substances" in their definition of drug paraphernalia.

Also, I personally want to know the precise definition of "indecent dress" so I can be sure I'm not crossing the line in our city parks.
My guess would be bad christmas sweaters, oil stains on your clothes, or poor color combinations.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The Difficult Airway Course is now available virtually online. Looks like I'll have some more CE to add to my CCP-C. It's cheapest for residents and EMS providers as well.
I'd love to take their Fundamentals of Airway Management course - I could sure use the BVM practice.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The Difficult Airway Course is now available virtually online. Looks like I'll have some more CE to add to my CCP-C. It's cheapest for residents and EMS providers as well.

i took the old SLAM street level airway management class. I don’t know how much benefit an experienced medic would get out of it now. But when I was new, it was the bomb dot com.