the 100% directionless thread

Anjel

Forum Angel
I got my state medic license today.

First shift is tomorrow. No FTO time at my current company. So just me and another medic.

Nothing like jumping in with both feet. At least its a 24 out of a pretty slow station. And my partner is one of the smartest medics we have. lol

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
No FTO time? Not that I don't have faith in you, but that's crazy talk to skip FTO completely. Like you mentioned, at least your partner sounds like he'll be a good mentor!

Epi-do

I see dead people
Looking like there may be wrist surgery in my future....

:eek:

Anjel

Forum Angel
No FTO time? Not that I don't have faith in you, but that's crazy talk to skip FTO completely. Like you mentioned, at least your partner sounds like he'll be a good mentor!

Oh trust me I know. It is definitely crazy. We watched videos on how to use our vents and pumps, and then they said go forth and save lives. :rolleyes:

So hopefully I can pick his brain for a while tomorrow.

It's crazy to think that tomorrow it will be just me and a patient, and the decisions are all mine :blink:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Some burger kings have those fancy new machines that you can make flavored with. I did a peach mellow yellow and it was awesome!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Some burger kings have those fancy new machines that you can make flavored with. I did a peach mellow yellow and it was awesome!
Those machines aren't just at some Burger King restaurants... What's amazing about those machines is the sheer number of flavor combinations that you could do. There are hundreds of combinations, from what I've heard. :blink:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I got my state medic license today.

First shift is tomorrow. No FTO time at my current company. So just me and another medic.

Nothing like jumping in with both feet. At least its a 24 out of a pretty slow station. And my partner is one of the smartest medics we have. lol
Who would have thought?! Knock em dea... break a le.... Good luck!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Oh trust me I know. It is definitely crazy. We watched videos on how to use our vents and pumps, and then they said go forth and save lives. :rolleyes:

So hopefully I can pick his brain for a while tomorrow.

It's crazy to think that tomorrow it will be just me and a patient, and the decisions are all mine :blink:

So I was thinking about this after we talked about it the other day. In my FTO time we had a week of classroom and then it was just me and an FTO on a truck. It was still me by myself in the back of the ambulance...so I guess not a huge difference minus the classroom time and being with a designated training officer... I had tests too though. 4 written as 2 scenarios.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
witnessed arrest by store employees. Downtime <4 min according to video.

CPR, V-Fib, shock, CPR, V-Fib, Shock, ROSC, 122/76.

12-Lead - Inf MI with RBBB and Right Axis Deviation.

Went arrest 3 more times in hospital and eventually passed...bummer.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
witnessed arrest by store employees. Downtime <4 min according to video.

CPR, V-Fib, shock, CPR, V-Fib, Shock, ROSC, 122/76.

12-Lead - Inf MI with RBBB and Right Axis Deviation.

Went arrest 3 more times in hospital and eventually passed...bummer.

Sometimes everything can go just right and it's still just time to die. Good work with ROSC and Cath lab activation at least!

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Spent 35 minutes doing compressions on a very very dead man yesterday.

Reason? We had to turn around twice to try to find this house, extremely rural, ZERO radio, or cell signal. Reminded me of the house on Mountain Men, down two dirt roads. Stage 4 terminal cancer, NOK (brother) couldn't locate the DNR in the house.. So we couldn't get a hold of our ME/med-call to allow us to call it.

35 minutes later, the sweet old guy comes out of the kitchen with the paper.. *wipes sweat, catches breath*

Tape those things up on the fridge forgoddsakes..

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
OK that is rough. Glad in that situation I would have been able to say no CPR. (Terminal And family stating DNR)

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
OK that is rough. Glad in that situation I would have been able to say no CPR. (Terminal And family stating DNR)

The brother asked us to stop. He was so awesome the whole time.

When I took my first EMR class, my instructor asked the class, "Who here thinks they can do compressions for 15 minutes?" My hand shot up, hells yes I can. I had completed a 20 mile memorial march (with full rucksack) the month before, and still had blisters on my feet from them. I do 5K obstacle courses for fun.

He scoffed at me, laughed at me in front of the class. Talked about how hard it was, how exhausting it was, how I was overestimating my abilities..

Dude, I have the stamina of a camel. A CAMEL!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The brother asked us to stop. He was so awesome the whole time.

When I took my first EMR class, my instructor asked the class, "Who here thinks they can do compressions for 15 minutes?" My hand shot up, hells yes I can. I had completed a 20 mile memorial march (with full rucksack) the month before, and still had blisters on my feet from them. I do 5K obstacle courses for fun.

He scoffed at me, laughed at me in front of the class. Talked about how hard it was, how exhausting it was, how I was overestimating my abilities..

Dude, I have the stamina of a camel. A CAMEL!

Not trying to sound like an a hole but unless you had one of those CPR sensors I doubt you were hitting the right depth and rate after a couple rounds.

To bad you guys can't take a verbal DNR . It makes thi vs a lot easier... On us and the families.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Not trying to sound like an a hole but unless you had one of those CPR sensors I doubt you were hitting the right depth and rate after a couple rounds.

To bad you guys can't take a verbal DNR . It makes thi vs a lot easier... On us and the families.

People would be surprised by how difficult it is to get good compression depth and rate. Our machines have the sensor pad built in to the pads. That machine is a harsh mistress.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If you think you do good, effective CPR and aren't afraid to get shown up, take the CPR challenge that Physio puts on at JEMS every year… You'll be surprised at how quickly your depth and rate falls off.