the 100% directionless thread

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
hopefully getting full time at the current job, which is good, but no medical needs. Doing my recert, which is so much fun. Need to come up with ways to keep skills sharp, while unfortunately not being able to work as an EMT.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
The county I'll be working in protocols are painful to browse through (a googolplex amount of separate PDF files, some of them that you'll download and it'll say "deleted" or "future use" in highlight, lol). I wish they made it similar to the county I live in, the neighbor county, where everything is all one PDF, nicely titled, and you can click on it to quickly get to the part you're looking for. <_<

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown is off to brown around for a while ...

Don't wait up.

Love,
Brown

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Brown on over to Oregon :p

Sent from my mobile command center

Sasha

Forum Chief
Forgive the abbreviated story as I'm on my cell.

He's a new hire paramedic in his FTO period. I worked for his normal fto tonight. We heard a call for a stabbing so we jumped on it so the other truck could rest.

Both patients wanted to refuse care so I went to give the new guy the laptop to do the refusal. He was like "you can do it"

As you know the FTO is there to make sure the new guy doesn't kill the patient... Not much else. Whatever, i didn't know how far along he was and if he could do pcrs yet. (he can)

Get in the truck after and I was like "These are your calls to run, I'm not really here"

What does he say "Well if this is my truck then you don't need to be jumping calls that I don't want to. "

I'm, no. It's my truck, I'm the one ultimately responsible for everything about it. You're the third rider, you are to deal with the patients while I evaluate you. I jump on the calls because not only do I have to see you on them, but we were closer.

Grrr

Playa needs a smack down and to know his role, shoot.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Taco bell and Hulu.

Yeah, it's going to be a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I'm working with my supervisor today, and it's kind of a final interview shift to see if I'll be hired after my internship...I'm nervous. :(

Sent from my mobile command center

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Just ran into a bunch of volley EMS folks on plane. after chatting with them for a while it suddenly became clear why paid folks hold volleys in such low regard. Talk about a bunch of over confident goobers. I get more runs in during a 12 hour shift then they run in 4 twenty four hour shifts a month. GOOBERS!

There are volunteers at my station that get more calls in four four-hour shifts per month than career guys get in ten 24-hour shifts per month at certain other stations.

The number of calls a person—whether volunteer or paid—gets in a certain time frame is only an indication of how busy that particular station is. And that's all that indicates.

And I won't even begin to get into discussing how the volunteers doing EMS are doing it because they actually want to as opposed to the career firefighters, most of whom do EMS only because they must do. Or, more specifically, I won't begin to get into discussing that people who want to do something, and actively pursue training, education, and practice related to it, tend to be better at something than those who don't want to do it but are made to as part of their job.

Sasha

Forum Chief
And I won't even begin to get into discussing how the volunteers doing EMS are doing it because they actually want to as opposed to the career firefighters, most of whom do EMS only because they must do. Or, more specifically, I won't begin to get into discussing that people who want to do something, and actively pursue training, education, and practice related to it, tend to be better at something than those who don't want to do it but are made to as part of their job.

I do EMS as a paid job, because I care enough about EMS to dedicate all my efforts to it, not just a couple hours a month. I do EMS as a profession. Not some hobby.

And vollys in my area do volly EMS because they're hoping to get on full time paid at the fire dept so they can be fire fighters, not medics.

Anjel

Forum Angel

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Live it up. Were getting our asses handed to us.

The only reason I'm out is because I hurt my back the other week at work. The doc still hasnt cleared me back to work yet. If it were up to me, I'd be working today.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Been at work for 57 hours now. Run around 15 calls, the majority being transported 45min plus away.

Really, REALLY hate that our basics are not allowed to ride any call.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Since there's a birthday every other day of September in my family, we're holding a big shebang tonight and calling it game. Got brisket on the smoker and ribs in the oven; I'm not the only one cooking,gonna be tons of food tonight :S

Anjel

Forum Angel
The only reason I'm out is because I hurt my back the other week at work. The doc still hasnt cleared me back to work yet. If it were up to me, I'd be working today.

I know. Im just giving you a hard time. This week has sucked.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Since there's a birthday every other day of September in my family, we're holding a big shebang tonight and calling it game. Got brisket on the smoker and ribs in the oven; I'm not the only one cooking,gonna be tons of food tonight :S

What time should we show up?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Ohhh somewhere around 530 or 6. These foods are more an art than an exact science :p

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Ohhh somewhere around 530 or 6. These foods are more an art than an exact science :p

Agree, good barbecue is something that can't be contained by a recipe.

Anjel

Forum Angel
So 1.5hrs till the.end of my shift.

Guess what im doing.

Road trip to Cleveland, OH!!!!!!!

4hrs away.