the 100% directionless thread

MissK

Forum Crew Member
Just passed NR paramedic skills. SUCH a good feeling.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Reading up some more on autism tonight and I'm astounded by the number of bloody idiots that STILL believe vaccines have something to do with the disorder. The flipping mouth-breathers are doing nothing but distracting from finding the real issue.

[/RANT]

JPINFV

Gadfly
Dear unit RN,
Yes, the patient who's on 5 different HTN medications is actually hypotensive for a change, but 91/55 and asymptomatic is not terribly bad. Furthermore, while it can be a lot of things, "sepsis" isn't one of them despite what your little guide says.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Dear unit RN,
Yes, the patient who's on 5 different HTN medications is actually hypotensive for a change, but 91/55 and asymptomatic is not terribly bad. Furthermore, while it can be a lot of things, "sepsis" isn't one of them despite what your little guide says.

Why would she immediately assume asymptomatic hypotension to be sepsis?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
...because that's what the "policy" is.

I know a few hospitals in NYC have "sepsis alert" signs with suggest vital signs to SUSPECT sepsis...

But it usually includes fever, hypoxia, hypotension, alt mental status and a couple others... And I think you are supposed to have more than one presenting prior to alerting an MD.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, we were still on site, but she "had" to call the sepsis nurse.

FLdoc2011

Forum Captain
Yea, sepsis is getting major play recently with hospitals trying to get a handle on it and become better at recognizing and managing it. Some are treating it in a similar way they treat acute MI and acute stroke by forming Sepsis teams and sepsis alerts with certain triggers, usually a pt meeting SIRS criteria w/ a source of infection and possibly some other criteria. In reality, a LOT if inpatients technically meet SIRS criteria and if you have some who develops some new renal insufficiency then that may pop up an automated trigger for the nurse for possible sepsis and then we have to evaluate if it is indeed sepsis.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
From what I heard, my county is gonna have a sepsis alert (like STEMI and stroke alert) for EMS, and will have paramedics check lactic acid levels.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
I just woke up and am still pretty groggy. I feel awful, my mouth and throat hurt intensely and I feel so dry despite having received five litres of IV fluid. I am on a good cocktail of tramadol, codeine, ondansetron, buscopan, paracetamol and something else.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Get well soon.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Call number 8, last meal was at 11 yesterday >.<

I had to endure eating nothing for almost forty hours while I waited for the surgeons to do their thing.

Despite my protest they insisted that a litre of 30 mmol/l potassium in 0.18% NaCl and 4% dextrose with some ondansetron was just as adequate.

Oh and I got the most wonderful Filipino lady who as soon as I shuffled over onto the table she gave me a big hug and held my hand while I went to sleep, I never understood how nice and comforting it is to have somebody hold your hand when they are sick or scared or whatever until now. She was absolutely amazing and make sure I was nice and warm and comfortable and was like "here comes the good stuff" and then we were all done!

Hopefully I will be back to normal by Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I had to endure eating nothing for almost forty hours while I waited for the surgeons to do their thing.

Despite my protest they insisted that a litre of 30 mmol/l potassium in 0.18% NaCl and 4% dextrose with some ondansetron was just as adequate.

Oh and I got the most wonderful Filipino lady who as soon as I shuffled over onto the table she gave me a big hug and held my hand while I went to sleep, I never understood how nice and comforting it is to have somebody hold your hand when they are sick or scared or whatever until now. She was absolutely amazing and make sure I was nice and warm and comfortable and was like "here comes the good stuff" and then we were all done!

Hopefully I will be back to normal by Tuesday.

Ouch, sounds like the best way to spend your weekend.