the 100% directionless thread

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
"Run! It's an EMERGENCY! What are we paying you for!?" seemed to be the quote of the day today. Sure, I'll run in 90+ degree weather in pants and boots with 40ish pounds of gear for a kid who's doing the "can't you see he hurt me? Please throw the flag, ref, we could really use that 15 yard penalty" act. It's also especially useful to run when there's a doc already at the Pt's side. Great idea. If you know so much come on down from the stands and do the job. It's so hard to not turn around and yell back sometimes.

At a Pop Warner game yesterday, one of the bystanders waved at my partner and I and screamed, "MEDIC!", just like in the bad war movies.
It probably wasn't good customer relations to double over laughing, but the actual standby crew was already there.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
At a Pop Warner game yesterday, one of the bystanders waved at my partner and I and screamed, "MEDIC!", just like in the bad war movies.
It probably wasn't good customer relations to double over laughing, but the actual standby crew was already there.

Yeah, this was Pop Warner, too. My partner and I worked an AYSO tourney once where a woman ran up to us and practically recreated the aftermath of the bunk beds scene from "Step Brothers"
"Oh my god, thank god I found you! Come quickly! There's blood everywhere!"
My partner walked away laughing while I got the what and where, ended up being a sprained ankle, no blood at all.
The difference between the public's perception of what is happening and what we perceive always amazes me.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Had one where the very young Junior Peewee Foorball "mother" was asking her eight year old if he needed to go to the hospital (hyperextended lower back and complained opf pain and paresthesia). :glare:

Achilles

Forum Moron
Listening to the radio traffic for FDNY, sounds like they are running out of fuel for the generators at Bellevue...

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
FDNY Brooklyn sounds like they are getting hammered with working fires.

To the ones out in the mess be safe.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
My computer is driving me nuts. I'm not sure this Windows 8 nonsense was a good idea.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
My computer is driving me nuts. I'm not sure this Windows 8 nonsense was a good idea.

Windows 8 - more proof the Mayans were right after all.

Aidey

It is faster, I will admit that. But the initial install didn't work 100%. Search wouldn't work at all, so I ended up having to use the refresh option, which caused 99% of my programs to be uninstalled. Including a bunch of Asus driver/programs that added extra functionality to some of the hardware. Like the USB quick charge...or the software that causes the touchpad to ignore errant activations while someone is typing. After several hours I've finally got everything back to normal (including that damned touchpad fix...that was driving me bonkers).

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Windows 8 - more proof the Mayans were right after all.

My computer kicked over a while ago abd I need a new one, but I am seriously considering going with a Mac. I've been using my family's Mac and its ok.

This windows 8 thing I'm not so sure about. I think its idiotic to try to develop an operating system to fill both the tablet and desktop/laptop roles. Two totally different platforms need tailor made OS. Not a one size fits all OS.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Why did I get a Discover Student Credit Card when everything I need to pay for related to school does not except Discover? Facepalm

Aidey

My computer kicked over a while ago abd I need a new one, but I am seriously considering going with a Mac. I've been using my family's Mac and its ok.

This windows 8 thing I'm not so sure about. I think its idiotic to try to develop an operating system to fill both the tablet and desktop/laptop roles. Two totally different platforms need tailor made OS. Not a one size fits all OS.

That seriously is the issue. I'm pretty sure I would like it way way better on a tablet/touch screen than I do on my laptop. I really dislike that they scattered the contents of the old start menu all over the place. I had to freaking do a google search to figure out how to restart the first time. I've also never been a huge fan of keyboard short cuts, and I don't like how they are suddenly the best alternative to touch when it comes to navigating the OS.

That being said, the more I learn, the more I can avoid that absurd start screen, and once you get to that point things get better. I've never ever liked any of Apple's UIs and W8 isn't bad enough to make me switch. I would go with a chromebook way before I went near a mac.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Before I get on a rant about Winblows 8, I just want to point out two things.

First of all, this is 2012. Who designs an operating system with the color scheme and layout that hasn't been seen since CGA cards were add on features in computers?

Secondly, there are other options out there besides Winblows and Mac...most of which are absolutely free.

Aidey

Before I get on a rant about Winblows 8, I just want to point out two things.

First of all, this is 2012. Who designs an operating system with the color scheme and layout that hasn't been seen since CGA cards were add on features in computers?

Visually it is a step backwards. The squared off windows look like something out of XP. I also seriously hate how they have dumbed down the personalization features. I miss being able to pick different colors for different things. Thus far the only way I've found to get even close to the old level of customization back is to pick a high contrast theme and tweak the hell out of it.

Secondly, there are other options out there besides Winblows and Mac...most of which are absolutely free.

Of course there are, but for the average user who wants their computer to "just work" those aren't always a good option. I'm pretty nerdy and I don't want the bother of running a shell every time I need to run a program that isn't linux compatible (and I use several).

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Of course there are, but for the average user who wants their computer to "just work" those aren't always a good option. I'm pretty nerdy and I don't want the bother of running a shell every time I need to run a program that isn't linux compatible (and I use several).
VMWare or VirtualBox...it's how I run Windows now. Plus if it gets corrupted, I can restore from a snapshot in under 3 minutes and be back to factory fresh install.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
As much as I love my 4Runner, the one thing I cant stand are the cup holders. They're the ones that slide out of the dash that Toyota seemed to favor in the late 80s and early 90s

$T2eC16VHJG!E9nm3p32QBQV9Dm4zfw~~60_35.JPG

They hardly fit anything in them properly, I can't even get a can of Arizona tea in there, and even if I could it seems like it would break under that weight.

So... can anyone recommend a good aftermarket cup holder? I figure at least some of you don't have cup holders in your ambos so maybe a couple of you take one of those door or vent hanging ones with you to work. I know the mini-mod I worked in for a whole week before it got taken up to corporate and never seen again didn't have any.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston