Tennesse

rforeman

Forum Probie
Good Day all,

I am a Paramedic in Northeast Pa and my girlfriend is an ER nurse. She is considering a move to Vanderbilt and I wanted to know what the paramedic possibilites are in the Nashville Area. I did a quick search on the forums here and havent found anything recent. Any info that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I know Nashville Fire does most, if not all, of the 911 in the city. Not sure about outlying areas or back-up 911 for the city.

Sorry I can't offer more help than that.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Vanderbilt is an amazing Level 1 Trauma center in Nashville. All its staff are looked at as "best of the best" in the surrounding areas. They have a school of medicine as well as a nursing program, and usually will hire from those programs, from what I have gathered. They also have a very prestigious flight program. (http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/lifeflight/)

With that being said, Nashville Fire Department does handle all 911 in the greater metro area. Although I've never worked for them, I have went through their hiring process and also had one of my EMT clinicals with them. GREAT department. It's extremely difficult to get on with them due to their popularity in the area. There were originally over 4000 applicants that applied in 2010, after all our testing was over we were down to 1300.

You also have private services in the middle tennessee area which include:

First Call
Rural Metro
Lifeguard
ASI

PM me if you would like more info, I lived in the middle TN area for 8 years.

NomexMedic

Forum Crew Member
Everyone here is neglecting to mention anyone but Metro Fire.

Sumner County EMS
Cheatham County EMS
Williamson County EMS
Wilson County Emergency Management (Fire Based)
Rutherford County EMS
Montgomery County EMS
Lifeguard EMS (Spring Hill, TN)

med51fl

Forum Lieutenant
Any insight into Departments in West Tennesse (Jackson Area). Also does anybody know who provides 911 EMS to Knoxville and Chatanooga?

Thanks for the help.

NomexMedic

Forum Crew Member
Any insight into Departments in West Tennesse (Jackson Area). Also does anybody know who provides 911 EMS to Knoxville and Chatanooga?

Thanks for the help.
Jackson is hospital based and you have to "buy the night."

Knoxville is Rural Metro

Chattanooga is a county based service that I believe hires once a year. Website looks good and they appear to be a very progressive service.

Memphis is Memphis fire and Rural Metro in the county. I'd steer clear of there. After doing my research for over a year, I can honestly tell you, Nashville is the area to live and work in Tennessee.

med51fl

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you for the insight. I had come to the same conclusion in regards to Memphis. I am looking for a progressive 911 EMS department that is not doing the fire thing also.

NomexMedic

Forum Crew Member
Thank you for the insight. I had come to the same conclusion in regards to Memphis. I am looking for a progressive 911 EMS department that is not doing the fire thing also.
Fire Based EMS is fun. Nashville is currently separate from Fire but run under the same departments.

If you want non-fire based progressive EMS I'd go with Williamson County or Rutherford County EMS in TN. Both are very progressive and very well respected with good call volumes and good equipment. Sumner County EMS is okay.

Wilson County EMA is the Fire Based EMS service to work for if you don't work for Metro.

Chattanooga is probably more of what you're looking for if you don't want fire based EMS and don't wish to live in or near Nashville.