Technique for readjusting patient on spinal board...

Blue

Forum Ride Along
Quick question:

When readjusting a patient on a spinal board after a log roll or extrication would you consider it acceptable to pull the patient by his/her belt or belt loops or "grab" him/her by the hips? Of course, standard spinal procedure applies.

I know for a fact pulling by the shirt is incorrect however there was a debate at Monday's training about grabbing the belt or belt loops. I tried looking it up in my textbook but I could not find a specific example.

Thanks!
Blue

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
I always just grab the patient by the hips. I suppose you could use the belt loops if you felt like it - you're still not putting compressive force on the spine, but it is less effective than just grabbing the hips.

Last edited by a moderator:

wesb123

Forum Ride Along
I have riped alot of belt loops off that way:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
By pulling the belt loops or belt, you are going to be pulling their hips, thats gonna pull the spine in order to pull the body down, will it not?

If you need to re adjust someone on a back board or clam, you should ideally have several people to life the patient and then slide the back board or clam under them, then place them back down. But as others will say in field C-Spine is a joke, so who knows. Text book answer would be no. In the field answer would be possibly.

reaper

Working Bum
Once they are on the LSB and you need to adjust them, you slide down, then up. The person at the head always takes the lead. When sliding them you can use a belt, but I try not to use the loops themselves. As said, they will rip on you. If they have no belt, then use their hips.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
It depends. If I've got someone who's fairly light wearing snug pants, I'll usually feel comfortable pulling them by the belt. I might be more hesitant to do so with someone heavier or with some with loose or flimsy pants/belt and grab their hips instead.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Unless the NR has changed its position, repearals right. Slide them down the LSB then up into proper position.