Tech tips

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I thought a thread on tips and methods to make ones job easier would be a good thread. I wanted to share a tip I learned.

With my Warrington pro boots, the shoe laces usually have a lot of excess. Instead of cutting the laces, I tie them like a Prusik knot (Fishermans or Barrel knot). This keeps my laces tidy, and it makes a good carry handle. See image.

bottlaces.jpg

How to tie knot.
http://www.animatedknots.com/double...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

I add one extra loop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I thought a thread on tips and methods to make ones job easier would be a good thread. I wanted to share a tip I learned.

With my Warrington pro boots, the shoe laces usually have a lot of excess. Instead of cutting the laces, I tie them like a Prusik knot (Fishermans or Barrel knot). This keeps my laces tidy, and it makes a good carry handle. See image.

bottlaces.jpg

How to tie knot.
http://www.animatedknots.com/double...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

I add one extra loop.

Use it all the time... Never thought of applying it to shoes... Cool.

Oh and technically, it is two double overhands, not a prusik knot. Even when tied onto another line as a cam-type substitute, it is a hitch, not a knot. Just a pet-peeve of mine when it comes to Probies I am training.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
We use the cheap wooden stitching loops with a red bio-hazard bag in them as an vomit basin. Cheap and will hold massive quantities for the power pukers we get periodically.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
We use the cheap wooden stitching loops with a red bio-hazard bag in them as an vomit basin. Cheap and will hold massive quantities for the power pukers we get periodically.

I like to just poke a hole a few inches from the top of the bag and put it around their neck like a bib.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I like to just poke a hole a few inches from the top of the bag and put it around their neck like a bib.
We've done that too, but sometimes patients don't like a plastic bag placed around their neck.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
We've done that too, but sometimes patients don't like a plastic bag placed around their neck.

Just give them some soft restraints too and tell them people in certain lifestyles pay big money for those opportunities. ;)

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

An embroidery hoop?

That tends to be what I use too. Quick and easy and hands free.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Use it all the time... Never thought of applying it to shoes... Cool.

Oh and technically, it is two double overhands, not a prusik knot. Even when tied onto another line as a cam-type substitute, it is a hitch, not a knot. Just a pet-peeve of mine when it comes to Probies I am training.

Yes, you are correct, the prusik is a loop tied around a cord. At my Shop, we call a prusik the looped fishermans knot. But technically you are correct...

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I was hoping, this thread could be one where people share trade tidbits that they have learned along the way. Stuff to make us better providers...

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, you are correct, the prusik is a loop tied around a cord. At my Shop, we call a prusik the looped fishermans knot. But technically you are correct...

Sorry... pet peeve of mine... One of the guys that taught me 90% of what I know about Rope, Swiftwater, and Helicopter Rescue was a stickler for that kinda stuff. His name was on the inside cover of many rescue textbooks and he could not stand the modified or slang terminology that evolved over the years. He passed it on to me and now I have been known to fail probie evaluations for things like saying "water knot" versus "overhand follow through". :huh:

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry... pet peeve of mine... One of the guys that taught me 90% of what I know about Rope, Swiftwater, and Helicopter Rescue was a stickler for that kinda stuff. His name was on the inside cover of many rescue textbooks and he could not stand the modified or slang terminology that evolved over the years. He passed it on to me and now I have been known to fail probie evaluations for things like saying "water knot" versus "overhand follow through". :huh:

I was taught water knot, and that's the term all my coworkers use. Good knot by the way...:D

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Buy a couple of those cheap carbineer key rings at the checkout stand of the hardware store and keep 'em clipped on your belt. When you need to hang an IV bag, just clip the 'beener to the goofy hook in the ceiling of the ambulance. (Photo below) It makes your life 100% easier, way simpler than fighting with that little black button with the recessed hook to get the IV bag to release. :)

IV2008-1.jpg

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Good tip, I always keep a couple beeners clipped on my belt loop.