Teaching CPR

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Im a CPR instructor and i wanted to start teaching privately. Ive only taught for the company i work for and i was wondering what you guys think would be a fair price to charge for the classes.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'd check to see what other people in your area are charging, take into account your costs, and then set a fair price.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
when I used to do it, I would set mine lower than the FD's and hospitals and then give quantity discounts: 1-5 was $40, 6-10 was $35, etc. also do discounts if I had 2-3 or 4 classes at same place in same day, or weekend. I taught one company out of town over a 3 day weekend: did 14 classes and over 200 people for $30 a person. Gave $5 discount per person on recerts from people I taught 2 years ago; sent them postcards to remind them.
It was costing me about $12 per person to teach them; and I could make decent money: the 2 years I really pushed it hard I made about $20-25,000. almost as much as my base pay before OT.

Also lower if I taught at their office or home.

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
I'd check to see what other people in your area are charging, take into account your costs, and then set a fair price.
For sure.
I mean i know one guy that charges like $60 an hour.
Prices are relevant. Sometimes you are worth what others are willing to pay.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OK, that's one guy, start making phone calls.

Consider getting on board with an established training company or trainer to learn the ropes first. I've been dinking around with it for two years now and am just starting to get my feet wet. I used to train within my department and my Guard unit, but hitting the real world is very, very different.
Questions to answer to yourself:
1. How much money do you need? What will it take to meet your personal budget? That includes health and dental, housing, dependable car and fuel/maintenance, etc. This will dictate whether this is additional income or your day job.
2. Are you certified by a reputable provider such as Am Red Cross and/or Am Heart Assoc? If not, you are at a disadvantage, maybe a standstill.
3. Training aids: you will need manikins, current audio/video media; when you show up and a place doesn't have operational audio/visual equipment, will you have your own little DVR player? Projector? Remember 75% of teaching is impressing the students (and 100% of business is impressing your clients) so hand shadows on a wall won't do, and neither will calling it off at the last second.
4. Remember: CASH FIRST, then deliver on time and beyond expectations. Oh, and be careful about being taken in by customers milking you for "new customer specials", keep them reasonable.
5. Personal resources: remember that car I mentioned? How many manikins and all the rest of the training "mishigas" can you resonably carry in it, and how far? How is your wardrobe? Are you physically capable of gathering stuff, transporting it, carrying and setting up, teaching on your feet for as long as your course will take, doing the end of class stuff, taking it all down, repacking the car, taking it home, breaking stuff down and cleaning then setting it out to dry, doing the paperwork, and repacking the manikins etc in prep for the next class, as well as the continual hunt for more classes?

I dug the promise of $200 a day, when I scheduled it, but that has been a pipe dream. Get hired, do it a while and meet your local fellow instructors and potential clients.

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
I just want to do this as a side thing. I can rent the equipment and everything from my company for cheap. BTW, im a AHA BLS instructor

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Also, how would i advertise? Flyers in the local grocery store lol?

Churches, community groups (Lion's Club, Rotary, Moms' Clubs), local parks and rec, try and find your homeschoolers...I taught a 10 week, weekly first aid and cpr course to our co-op.

Commercial and industrial places are sometimes required to have CPR trained employees. Look for commercial buildings with AEDs, and ask the manager if they need a CPR refresher.

All depends on how much work you want to do. :)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Find the largest training center in your area and hook up with them.

Going out on your own requires an upfront investment of several hundred dollars on the cheap.

Then you have the time issue of tracking jobs down. If you get people who don't want the HCP level course there is no expiration date so there is almost no repeat business.

If you really really are hell bent on doing it yourself, start with dentist offices. They often need the HCP courses and will be repeat customers because they don't usually have an affiliation with a big hospital that has their own training center.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Im a CPR instructor and i wanted to start teaching privately. Ive only taught for the company i work for and i was wondering what you guys think would be a fair price to charge for the classes.

I charge $25 per student, as far as I know I am the cheapest around. I feel that $25 is a fair price.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I charge $25 per student, as far as I know I am the cheapest around. I feel that $25 is a fair price.

You seriously undervalue yourself.

Where I am from in the states a AHA HCP BLS class is $125 a person + book.

ACLS $200 + book, and because of the shortage of PALS and NRP instructors 250 + book and you will be signing up and paying a deposite 3-6 months in advance.

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
I charge $60 per student for AHA HCP, $30 for a recert. Covers expenses, (books, etc) and is enough to make a small profit per student.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
You seriously undervalue yourself.

Where I am from in the states a AHA HCP BLS class is $125 a person + book.

ACLS $200 + book, and because of the shortage of PALS and NRP instructors 250 + book and you will be signing up and paying a deposite 3-6 months in advance.

Well, you also have to take into account that I teach mainly to nursing students who are ready to enter upper division who need AHA BLS.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Double post.....delete

Last edited by a moderator:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I charge $250 per person and my rosters stay full.... :)

I also do a second day of First Aid for an additional $250 p/p as well.

It is great when you have a captive audience and own the monopoly.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
ak, you hiring?

We are doing layperson or workplace CPR and AED adult, child and infant) for about $60 a head, but have done them for as low as $25 as a favor for some community groups. No book, it is online and the password they get when they matriculate allows them to get the updates free as time goes on. One manikin per student up to twenty, one bag valve mask per two students, one disinfected pocket mask per student. COMpany uses AHA standard so AHA DVD is used.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually I just hired my second full time trainer. He will deploy in about 2 weeks time as I have another First Responder class coming up and you do not want to know what they pay me to teach that one.

And while profit margin is decent, before anyone dreams of dollars...there is tons of overhead as I have to hire people, provide insurance, flights, housing, food, etc and none of that is cheap.

Last edited by a moderator: