tattoos

HeadUp

Forum Ride Along
I am starting the EMT-B program in a few weeks and have been wondering how having tats on my forarm will affect me when I am done and looking for employment. I have no problem wearing long sleeves year round, but I'm not sure if employers would allow that. Does anyone have any exposed ink? Has it hurt you looking for a job?

MedRhett

Forum Probie
I'm going to work for a service that doesn't allow any visible ink. Some allow it, some don't.

Personally, I don't have any ink below the elbow. Above the elbow is another story. I had to get slightly longer short-sleeve uniform shirts to make sure my ink was covered. If I had to, I could wear long-sleeves year round.

Swinney101

Forum Probie
I am interested as well. I have military ink on the forearm. I am used to wearing long sleeves year round even though i dont have to.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Employment policies will depend on the employer. If you get hired at a company that requires any to be covered, I suggest that you buy multiple long sleeve shirts that way you can change shirts as each shirt becomes soiled.

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
Actually, due to some people and religious/modesty beliefs, employers must allow long sleeves, as how in school they allow sweatpants instead of shorts for gym.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I would also postulate that it would depend on how the ink was viewed. If it was "gaudy" in nature and/or possibly obscene or adult, it might not be tolerated. Now this may get some negative responses, but I'm using the analogies of tattoes of testacles wrapped in barbed wire vs Sponge Bob Sqware Pants. Extreme, I know, but these were the only ones I could come up with.

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
i have a small one on the side of my rib cage, and one on my upper arm, so it was never an issue for me.