tattoos in EMS

Trailrider

Forum Crew Member
anyone have/want to get more tattoos? Do you think it affects how people view you? Are their tattoos more professional then others? I'm just curious,because I have a sleeve and i'm pretty new in emergency services.

stay safe out there,

Achilles

Forum Moron
Personally, I'm not a fan of tattoos, and since you have a sleeve, don't be surprised if you have to wear a long sleeve shirt- even in the Summer. No I don't want a tattoo nor do I plan on getting one.
I don't view people as below me or above me, if you have a tattoo or a tooth missing or w/e, I will not judge you. Although if it was caused by a beer bottle I might considered a few jokes :p

OP
OP
Trailrider

Trailrider

Forum Crew Member
Personally, I'm not a fan of tattoos, and since you have a sleeve, don't be surprised if you have to wear a long sleeve shirt- even in the Summer. No I don't want a tattoo nor do I plan on getting one.
I don't view people as below me or above me, if you have a tattoo or a tooth missing or w/e, I will not judge you. Although if it was caused by a beer bottle I might considered a few jokes :p

My tattoos aren't trashy,they are well done portraits of wildlife as I love animals. I have no problems wearing long sleeve shirts, although I know a few nurses with the same as I. Maybe they can because they are nurses though. I guess will see what happens. I'm still a student :):ph34r:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
everyplace I have worked ...tattoos were ok as long as they were not "offensive".

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
Where I am at nobody cares too much. I know one of the cities fire dept's close to me doesn't allow them but anywhere else it's okay as long as they aren't offensive. I have a sleeve myself and I have actually gotten a ton of compliments on it. It means a lot to me too. I passed out getting it... 7 hours and no breaks. I told they guy man... I am feeling a little lightheaded like I am going to pass out. Next thing I know my hearing went and I started sweating bullets lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Our company policy is if its below the elbow you have to wear a long sleeve shirt. Also if something offensive can be seen below a t-shirt but it's above the elbow it must be covered.

I have a half sleeve on my left arm, a half sleeve on my right lower leg and script on my back. Been fighting the urge to do my other sleeve, eventually would like them to join on my back.

I really would like ill sleeves or at least one but I I'm not sure I want to commit to wearing a long sleeve short at work during the summer.

Tattoos are more widely accepted today, by the younger generations however in EMS we deal with the older populations the majority of the time and they are not as accepting, that's why many places require you to cover them. I don't understand how people can argue "but they're becoming popular!!!!!!1!1!1!1" when they work in this profession.

There's a really cool thread of everyone's ink on here somewhere.

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
Our company policy is if its below the elbow you have to wear a long sleeve shirt. Also if something offensive can be seen below a t-shirt but it's above the elbow it must be covered.

I have a half sleeve on my left arm, a half sleeve on my right lower leg and script on my back. Been fighting the urge to do my other sleeve, eventually would like them to join on my back.

I really would like ill sleeves or at least one but I I'm not sure I want to commit to wearing a long sleeve short at work during the summer.

Tattoos are more widely accepted today, by the younger generations however in EMS we deal with the older populations the majority of the time and they are not as accepting, that's why many places require you to cover them. I don't understand how people can argue "but they're becoming popular!!!!!!1!1!1!1" when they work in this profession.

There's a really cool thread of everyone's ink on here somewhere.

I remember I saw a paramedic his whole skin was covered in them. I mean legs, arms, neck, chest, back, everything. He works part time. He's a reall cool guy but I think he's been turned down a few places because of it. He's a really good medic!

FearTheSkill

Forum Ride Along
From most jobs

I think you have to be careful with your tattoos, because many job interviews I've received, the first question is do you have tattoos. What I would do since they're not offensive is wear a long sleeve shirt to your interview whatever it is, and get your foot in the door then if they ask tell them. Good luck :)

BklynGnome

Forum Probie
I have to wear long sleeves every day to work because of my tattoos, or really because of one in particular(as I have many) - a modification of a classic Sailor Jerry design, which features a topless mermaid (although mine has "pasties" over the nipples)... I got it long before I thought I'd ever work in EMS or any medical profession... I don't regret it really, I still love the tattoo, but now I have to wear long sleeves year round. The way I deal with it, is I bought a bunch of those sports sleeves - the ones you see NBA players wear - that way I can at least take them off between calls.

J B

Forum Lieutenant
Where I grew up, the only people with tattoos were sailors, people who spent time in jail, and high school dropouts... I know they're popular and everyone gets them these days, but I can't help judging at least a little.

How many MDs, judges, lawyers, etc have full sleeves on their arms?

I think nowadays having a little tattoo on the ankle or wrist seems completely acceptable in even the most "professional"/formal of environments, but anything more than that will definitely change the way a lot of people see you - especially the older generation.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
my company requires offensive tattoos in visible places or your fired.

OP
OP
Trailrider

Trailrider

Forum Crew Member
I don't have any issues covering up, as I would prefer to preserve my tattoos and not have them destroyed by the sun etc. For the most part it doesn't get to overly hot here, we only have 2 seasons. That is, winter and construction:cool:

I'm suprised we don't have more people on here with ink commenting.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Where I grew up, the only people with tattoos were sailors, people who spent time in jail, and high school dropouts... I know they're popular and everyone gets them these days, but I can't help judging at least a little.

How many MDs, judges, lawyers, etc have full sleeves on their arms?

I think nowadays having a little tattoo on the ankle or wrist seems completely acceptable in even the most "professional"/formal of environments, but anything more than that will definitely change the way a lot of people see you - especially the older generation.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. With that said I don't think people are deserved to be judged by their appearance or choice of self expression. You don't know me, my background or personality yet you admit you'd judge me because I have tattoos. I have a saying my grandfather told me before he died on my back. I have a snowman running through the forest and snowflakes falling from a cloud because I'm a mountain boy and love the winter. I have a diamond that three of my closest friends also have somewhere on them. With all that ink I'm a full time medic, teach, have interns and ridealongs consistently and have a file full off than your and "kudos" that patients have sent in to my agency after I've cared for them. I volunteer my time, i help my handicapped neighbor take her trash out...she likes my tattoos, says they're art. Still think I'm a bad person? Sorry that came out somewhat confrontational and wasn't meant to be. It's is a topic close to my heart.

Fwiw I know a few doctors with a lot of tattoos. I know many lawyers that party harder than college kids.

Marques951

Forum Ride Along
I do not have any myself, I personally do not care what someone has tattooed on their body as long as they can get the job done. If I was needing a medic or firefighter to save my life, the last thing I would worry about is their tattoos lol.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I really want to get some script on my forearms, but I've been refraining because I feel it would appear unprofessional in certain settings (and I despise long sleeves). So trying to think of some more concealable ideas. Curse my conservative upbringing :glare: :lol:

I think tattoos are a great form of expression, and can be very tactful as well. At the field level, I don't think it's a big deal. Higher up in the ranks, however, I think there's still a stigma of a need to appear a clean-cut professional.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have been collecting tattoo's for the past 12 years. I have full 2 sleeves on my arms, and I am now working on my chest and back.
Regardless of my own opinion I also understand it is still a sensitive subject with conservatives, the elderly, and some peoples perception of "professionalism." As a result, I do not get anything tattooed I can not cover with a long sleeve uniform collar shirt. The old saying "Anywhere where the judge can't see" applies in my mind. Not because I agree with it, but as long as gays, women, mentally ill, minorities, and anyone else are persecuted for being "different", so will people with tattoos. The difference is, I chose to be this way and I can wear a long sleeve uniform shirt and effectively eliminate my perceived difference, which I am grateful for.
When people see me off duty, they are absolutely blown away I am a Paramedic and also balancing a 3.5 GPA at university. Screw um..... Get as many tattoo's you want, just be willing and capable of abiding by "anywhere the judge can't see" rule of thumb, you will be fine.

Epi-do

I see dead people
my company requires offensive tattoos in visible places or your fired.

I am sure you meant NO offensive tattoos, but reading this made me laugh.

I only have one tat - a dolphin on my hip. Because of its location, most people will never see it. Personally, I think the content is more important than the location when determining if a tat should be covered while at work, but I know most employers don't see it that way.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I am sure you meant NO offensive tattoos, but reading this made me laugh.

I only have one tat - a dolphin on my hip. Because of its location, most people will never see it. Personally, I think the content is more important than the location when determining if a tat should be covered while at work, but I know most employers don't see it that way.

I was hoping the original context was correct, that sounds like a really interesting and fun place to work!

J B

Forum Lieutenant
Everyone has a right to their own opinion. With that said I don't think people are deserved to be judged by their appearance or choice of self expression. You don't know me, my background or personality yet you admit you'd judge me because I have tattoos. I have a saying my grandfather told me before he died on my back. I have a snowman running through the forest and snowflakes falling from a cloud because I'm a mountain boy and love the winter. I have a diamond that three of my closest friends also have somewhere on them. With all that ink I'm a full time medic, teach, have interns and ridealongs consistently and have a file full off than your and "kudos" that patients have sent in to my agency after I've cared for them. I volunteer my time, i help my handicapped neighbor take her trash out...she likes my tattoos, says they're art. Still think I'm a bad person? Sorry that came out somewhat confrontational and wasn't meant to be. It's is a topic close to my heart.

Fwiw I know a few doctors with a lot of tattoos. I know many lawyers that party harder than college kids.

I don't think it's right that people are judged on appearance and I try not to do it, but for better and for worse, stereotypes are a key factor in how the brain assesses people we don't know yet.

The "tattoos = bad guy" stereotype is going away thanks to people like you, but I think it will take a while. It is just is what it is.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I have been collecting tattoo's for the past 12 years. I have full 2 sleeves on my arms, and I am now working on my chest and back.
Regardless of my own opinion I also understand it is still a sensitive subject with conservatives, the elderly, and some peoples perception of "professionalism." As a result, I do not get anything tattooed I can not cover with a long sleeve uniform collar shirt. The old saying "Anywhere where the judge can't see" applies in my mind. Not because I agree with it, but as long as gays, women, mentally ill, minorities, and anyone else are persecuted for being "different", so will people with tattoos. The difference is, I chose to be this way and I can wear a long sleeve uniform shirt and effectively eliminate my perceived difference, which I am grateful for.
When people see me off duty, they are absolutely blown away I am a Paramedic and also balancing a 3.5 GPA at university. Screw um..... Get as many tattoo's you want, just be willing and capable of abiding by "anywhere the judge can't see" rule of thumb, you will be fine.

It depends greatly on what area of the country you work in too. I've lived in Texas and Arkansas, and I would die wearing long sleeves all year.