Talking to trainees about job prospects in EMT/Paramedic

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
As y'all know by now, I teach CPR/AED/etc. I ask my CPRO class what they are taking it for, to give me a clue as to how to target the class. Lately I'm getting more and more pre-EMT people, bright eyed and bushy tailed and clueless.
OK, I'm long out of the game in person. What can I tell them about job prospects? (When in doubt, I smile encouragingly and say "What a great skill set to have under your hat!"). Are there areas which are experiencing a need for entry level techs? Will it give you a leg-up on jobs such as fire dept, forestry, etc??

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
As y'all know by now, I teach CPR/AED/etc. I ask my CPRO class what they are taking it for, to give me a clue as to how to target the class. Lately I'm getting more and more pre-EMT people, bright eyed and bushy tailed and clueless.
OK, I'm long out of the game in person. What can I tell them about job prospects? (When in doubt, I smile encouragingly and say "What a great skill set to have under your hat!"). Are there areas which are experiencing a need for entry level techs? Will it give you a leg-up on jobs such as fire dept, forestry, etc??

Considering that the EMT is a prereq for any medic school, perhaps that is still an angle to discuss instead of even trying to shore up hopes for jobs that service the EMT level.

Our instructor sort of gave us the realities...tough to hear, but necessary.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

OK. I just try not to crush people's dreams when the are paying my sponsor so much money for the next six hours.

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
OK. I just try not to crush people's dreams when the are paying my sponsor so much money for the next six hours.

Well, it isn't as if there aren't jobs...but the ones that people typically are hoping for, i.e. 911 response, are going to be more challenging to get.

Also...there are other dreams of "helping people" and "making a real difference" that I've already gotten a dose of reality from members on these forums.

You can hold back on crushing those dreams...umkay?

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Personally, that would've been great for me to hear. Make it through a high school EMT class and realize after paying for my tests.. No one had talked about jobs. Woulda been nice to hear that "oh, yeah you'll all be certified at 18... You just won't work for the next three years, since no one will pay for insurance on you until then!"
Would've saved me a lot of time from fruitless job searching.

restlessprairie

Forum Probie
I have been very blessed, but I didn't realize it until hearing other folks talk about their service. I work in an area that services a large interstate, rural area, college, and city. We only run two ambulances, and we run about 65 calls a week all of which actually need an ambulance.

So the jobs are out there. But you may have to move to an area you don't want to live in to get the experience you want. The pay is also not great....lol. But it's a wonderful job, I'm learning tons, and I almost don't ever want to leave it. :)

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

If y'all keep posting job alerts here I'll trying to get them to tune in.

For the remaining eight and and a fraction months I'm still vollie training. I'm dropping ARC after December.