Taking NREMT on the 21st. Advice needed!

Wittywhit

Forum Probie
I need some serious study advice.
Right now I am going through each chapter, writing down signs,symptoms ,pathophysiology and treatment for the disorder/ disease. I also made a table on when to administer oxygen and how much and the rate for distress,failure and arrest.

I made basic terminology flash cards. I re read all medical and trauma . I also touched up on OBGYN. Tomorrow I am making some flash cards on pathophysiology and on basic anatomy. I also made flash cards on EMS Systems , Medical and Ethical.

Am I taking the right approach? I'm basically re learning everything even if it is a subject that I am strong at.

SocraticMethod

Forum Probie
As someone who recently took the test, but didn't pass ( I know the material, I was consistently scoring 90+ on all practice exams and finals...still confused as to why I didn't pass ) I'll save you some time. This is what you're tested on ( it sounds exhaustive, but you're only being tested for minimal competency... ). As per my letter from the NR themselves. I'll also note, most of the questions are very basic and what you really need to drill into your head are the assessment flow charts, vital ranges, and COMMON presentations for certain disorders ( EDITED- I almost posted a complete NREMT question, just PM me if you want specifics, was just using it as an example ). DO NOT focus too much on term / path/ anat as you're only accountable for a small measure of knowledge in this regard ( I've taken the university courses, don't waste time here you probably know enough ). I think the sentiment applies..keep it simple stupid. My issue is that I read too much into the question, I always want more information and I got pretty annoyed at some of the wording. As I retest, I probably won't study much and just stick to the ordered assessments ( know them for medical and trauma, everything in between ), ABC's IN THAT ORDER ( unless they state otherwise, I know I bunked one because I went too fast, CAB ) etc.. IMPORTANT, you WILL be given a small dry erase board to write whatever down on, use this well.

EMT Statement of Performance
Airway, Respiration and Ventilation (adult and pediatric patients)
Includes assessment, pathophysiology and management of the airway, ventilation,
respiratory distress, respiratory failure, respiratory arrest, and upper/lower airway respiratory
emergencies.

Cardiology and Resuscitation (adult and pediatric patients)
Includes assessment, pathophysiology and management of chest pain, cardiac rhythm
disturbance, cardiac arrest, strokelike symptoms, postresuscitation care and
hypotension/hypertension from cardiovascular causes.

Trauma (adult and pediatric patients)
Includes assessment, pathophysiology and management of bleeding, chest trauma,
abdominal/genitourinary trauma, orthopedic trauma, soft tissue injuries,
head/neck/face/spinal injuries and multisystem trauma.

Medical, Obstetrics and Gynecology (adult and pediatric patients)
Includes assessment, pathophysiology and management of neurological emergencies
(seizures, altered mental status, etc.), abdominal disorders, immunology, infectious diseases,
endocrine disorders, psychiatric disorders, toxicology, hematology, genitourinary/renal
disorders, gynecology and obstetrics.

EMS Operations
Includes vehicle and equipment readiness, emergency vehicle operations, scene leadership,
resolving an emergency incident, emotional support, medical/legal standards, community
relations, administrative support and professional development

OP
OP
W

Wittywhit

Forum Probie
Thank you so much! Much needed advice. I am pretty much studying most of that. I really need to read my EMS operations . That seems to be my weak point -_-

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Flash cards are fantastic. In the future, consider Anki or Supermemo instead of paper flash cards.

Highly recommend signing up to one of the online sites - EMT Prep, etc. You need to be doing lots of practice questions in addition to content review.