Taking EMT-B course without any other experience/courses?

Nimrod_BasketCase

Forum Probie
The main thing missing from most EMT courses is an A&P prereq. It is like teaching a mechanic to fix cars without knowing how a car works. While in class, I saw so many students struggle because they did not have any background in biology. Even Bio101 would be a good start.

I agree with you on this. We spent 1 day on the A&P chapter then when we would go over cardiac or airway or something we would review that part of the body. I haven’t taken a Bio class since sophomore year in high school and had a hard time with it in the EMT class after so many years I felt like I forgot everything and hard to learn it so quickly. I’m defiantly taking A&P before I sign up for medic class.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I agree with you on this. We spent 1 day on the A&P chapter then when we would go over cardiac or airway or something we would review that part of the body. I haven:censored::censored::censored:8217;t taken a Bio class since sophomore year in high school and had a hard time with it in the EMT class after so many years I felt like I forgot everything and hard to learn it so quickly. I:censored::censored::censored:8217;m defiantly taking A&P before I sign up for medic class.

That is certainly a good idea IMHO. A&P is the core of what EMT and medics do, it amazes me that all one needs is a CPR card.

Oh, I am sure some will say, all EMT's do is drive a truck, shad up I say. Strive to be the best I say. I don't drive a truck, I am an EMT damn it.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Clearly if you have time and money to take any biology or A&P courses prior it will help, however most EMT basic programs are designed to teach you basic , VERY BASIC knowledge of A&P which will "get you through" however from what I have heard from medic disscusions, its the basis for paramedic school. In emt class we learned basic interventions with about 10 medications, however I think paramedic pharmacology is at the cellular level. Someone correct me if Im wrong...

mcdonl

Forum Captain
My funny no experience story is regarding the medical terminology... so, many of the words I had never heard before and prior to class I ready both the Brady book... The funny part was what my mind had for pronounciation of a lot of the words as opposed to how they were actually prounounced.