Tactical Medic

JsonAre

Forum Probie
What exactly is a tactical medic? And how do you become one?

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
What exactly is a tactical medic? And how do you become one?

A tactical medic is as far as my understanding goes, a paramedic assigned to a SWAT team or similar such LEO group and are there in case stuff hits the fan. As far as I can recall, there is no official tactical medic certification, maybe some states have adopted one, but I know TX hasn't. There are however courses that will give you a certificate of completion of a tactical medic program. Most of the time, SWAT teams will get paramedics from the local fire department to work on the team, or local EMS agency if fire and ems are separate. Some police departments just send officers through EMT and Medic classes. Ask around at your local PD's and see how they do things there.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My lead instructor is a Tactical Medic for the local SWAT Teams. He always tells me, "It's a lot easier to train a medic to be a SWAT operator than it is to train a SWAT operator to be a medic"

TEMS medics here are through the agency I work for. You have to try out for the team and be selected. You must meet the same physical criteria as the SWAT members. Once selected the put you through a TCCC course then you do all the training and call outs with them. The guys operate on a rotating on-call schedule. They are on the door team and make entry.

That's how it works here, it is different everywhere.

I'm not a TacMedic but has crossed my mind to give it a shot once I'm finished with school.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Search, this has been covered in depth, multiple times...

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Is it a realistic career goal?

No, it is not, in most circumstances, it is a fun personal goal, but most people will never have a career as a tactical medic alone.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Would a military background help at all?

Simple answer, no. More in depth answer, the majority of tactical medics are part time, and used as an asset for a local law enforcement tactical team, just like there are very few full time SWAT teams, there are even fewer full time tactical medic positions.

OP
OP
JsonAre

JsonAre

Forum Probie
Simple answer, no. More in depth answer, the majority of tactical medics are part time, and used as an asset for a local law enforcement tactical team, just like there are very few full time SWAT teams, there are even fewer full time tactical medic positions.

I think I have more of a chance going into the Army or Air Force as a medic. I appreciate the response though. I’ve considered the Air Force as a Pararescue guy. I could meet the physical requirements. It’s just my career goal is some kind of tactical medicine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luno

OG
Premium Member
What exactly do you want? Feel free to PM me...

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Everyone wants a cool guy job, few can make it, fewer can keep it... If all you want is the patch, find some podunk pd department and cozy up to their 3/4 letter tactical team.

OP
OP
JsonAre

JsonAre

Forum Probie
Everyone wants a cool guy job, few can make it, fewer can keep it... If all you want is the patch, find some podunk pd department and cozy up to their 3/4 letter tactical team.

My local PD’s “SWAT” team consists of one guy.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
My local PD’s “SWAT” team consists of one guy.

Note to self, if you choose to rob a bank.. do it in Hatboro, PA

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Geez, you don't need a tactical team to cap an idiot....

OP
OP
JsonAre

JsonAre

Forum Probie
Nothing bad happens here, I’m a member of my local FD and all we really get is vehicle accidents and automatic alarms. We’ve never had any real mass incidents besides the hurricane.

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
I am familar with your local. Beware of what you say because sometimes the BIG stuff happens in the small town atmosphere. Oh, yea. I am a former Army medic and am a tactical medic with the county MIRT and like others are saying, I do the tac. medic part time, not enough to pay bills. Get a good education. Work as an EMT or paramedic for a while then after mastering your craft, then look into becoming a tac. medic. Better yet. Do what you said and join the service. I am sure the government could use you as a medic, especially if you think you can hack it as a P.J.