Tactical Medic Training

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
That depends on your prior experience and the unit you hope to get on with. If you will be armed while working as a Tac Medic you will need to qualify with firearms with whatever team you go with. As to being a master at arms prior to Tac Medic school,no you do not to be a eagle shot. It will certainly help if you arm at least familiar with whatever weapons you are expected to deploy and train with initially though.

Any particular tac program your looking at going to?

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
A few things I saw in this post. In the military, a 68W is trained off of the NREMT standards and are nationally certified like any of us are. 18D (Special Forces Medic) is trained to the level of a paramedic but Im unsure if they are certified as a paramedic. I know here the police department trains one of the fire medics to be their medical on the swat team. They do stack up and make entry like other members of the swat team but they are not armed. This avoids them from having to be post certified. Ive had swat members explain it to me that its easier to train a medic to sit in the back of the stack and raid the house then it is to train a swat member to be a medic. Think about it. There are programs that can teach you the basics of a swat raid in a couple weeks. Where have you seen a medic program that lasts a couple weeks?

WOW! Making entry in the stack, even at the rear, unarmed is not what I would want to do. If unarmed, I can't see going in until the "CLEAR" is given.

DPM

Forum Captain
WOW! Making entry in the stack, even at the rear, unarmed is not what I would want to do. If unarmed, I can't see going in until the "CLEAR" is given.

I can't see the point in that either. Unless they want you there as an extra target... :unsure:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Agreed unarmed in a stack is just a liability. We almost have out protocols and policies finalized where im at. Reserve Level III is the requirement to be a Tactical Medic so there are no issues with carrying a weapon and having arrest capabilities. Now were figuring out what the ISTM Module A & B will cover of California Reserve III. Nobody should ever be in the hotzone unarmed, ever.

ironco

Forum Probie
Yeah I Agree, and if your in a wilderness situation even with Leo why not have a wilderness trained emt to provide care. Also, if a hostage is having an mi or an asthma attack or whatever for one if they are still a hostage your probably not going to be providing any treatment and even if you were If there's a threat I doubt your going to take out the monitor and do a 12 lead,bp,nitro, or a breathing treatment right there behind a counter getting shot at lol. Sorry for pushing the issue further I just wanted to point out some issues to the people who think they need a medic and especially an emd in any situation that they are describing. Plus if your way out in before with no air support and someone codes or has any serious issue they're gonna die no matter what the level of care they receive. Thank you i am done going now ;)