Tactical Medic Training

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I've got a million things to do before I Google it.

Anyone know about the TacMed schools, how they train, etc?

Also, are there any in Texas or the Southwest?

Thanks as always, guys and girls.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
That depends on what you are looking for. First if your serious about getting involved with a team, contact their training officer and start from there. Typical teams will have in house training + formal training at X course. East coast seems to just use TCCC. Understand that TCCC is only part of tactical medicine. But if you want full recognition look for a full Tactical program.

With the newly formed American College of Tactical Physicians this year there is only 1 program that meets their requirements for admission so far with that being Module A,B and C of the International School of Tactical Medicine. They are already working on allowing Medics and LEO officer who go through them to be recognized through the college also.

Module A, B and C will take a FULL 3 weeks to complete.

Www.tacticalmedicine.com

I went through A and B earlier this year and it was worth every penny, going to C later this year to qualify to test for board recognition

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Vetitas86

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks! I'll give it a look.

I had taken a basic law enforcement course, but due to life...had to drop. Loved it and loved the guys and girls in it. I figure it'd be a way to get involved in that end again.

DPM

Forum Captain
I'm missing the point here... Are you a civilian? What does a tactical medic do? I can't imagine PD would have you up front kicking doors in with them...

OP
OP
Vetitas86

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, civ.

From what I understand, tactical medics deal with casualties in LE operations.

Clarification is welcome.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, depending on the team you will either be in the stack (kicking doors in) or will be outside in the hot zone or in the warm zone waiting to enter after initial entry has been made.

It is all team and state guideline dependent on if you will be armed. At ISTM you will train heavily on tactics and will qualify using a Sig 229 and a MP4 sub machine gun

DPM

Forum Captain
So what sort of tactical training would you require? In my mind it would be cheaper to train a bunch of cops as EMTs rather than training EMTs as cops

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm missing the point here... Are you a civilian? What does a tactical medic do? I can't imagine PD would have you up front kicking doors in with them...

Go to the link I posted. You will get a ton of information about SWAT medicine and care in austere conditions

OP
OP
Vetitas86

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
To me it seems six one way, half a dozen the other. Either way, you're cross training.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Correction on the sub gun. You'll use the MP5

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
There was 1 airforce EMT in our 2 week cycle. All others were MD and Paramedic. No, an EMT doesnt have the scope to do what would be needed when people started getting shot or exposed to chemicals etc etc. And non tactical crews wouldnt be able to do anything until it was completely rendered a safe area, where as a tactical medic can provide care underfire as needed.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Lol Im new to the tactical world other then military training (wasnt medical in the service). And only reason I went into it is to support our local LEO's. They like us deserve to go home at the end of their shifts.

PG506

Forum Probie
Here is an excellent course

This course includes the NAEMT TCCC card

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 639

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Great in theory, but what is the actual job outlook like? I've heard of many civilians taking these courses at expensive rates with no jobs.

Almost all the tactical medics I know are cops on the SWAT team and on for 20+ years often. SWAT is a harder position to get and getting picked for paramedic training even harder. The civilian tac medics I've heard of are prior military. And if I was a cop on the SWAT team I'd much prefer another cop with years and years of experience with very specific medical training being on any scene that might require a tactical component in order to treat...

OP
OP
Vetitas86

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
I would think it'd be a better chance of getting the job as either current it previous LE. Either that or advanced certs for EMT-P.

I may look into it. I have a buddy who works SWAT.

PG506

Forum Probie
Tactical Medic Training Options

There are other Tactical/operational programs that meet or excede recommended requirements available in the US that are excellent programs. I posted a link to one of those courses. The link takes you to a course in Texas conducted by Cypress Creek Advanced Tactical Team's it is he Basic Tactical Operational Medical Support Course. I have consulted with similar programs but this is one of the only courses that includes the NAEMT TCCC curriculum with topics that are based on current task performed by Tactical Medicine Operators that support LEO at a federal and local levels. With the need to bring medicine into tactical situations these programs are becoming more valuable everyday.

OP
OP
Vetitas86

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
For what its worth, I kind of see it as a way for EMS to get into international contracting as well.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston