Tactical EMT Class

dank

Forum Probie
Does anyone know of any tactcical EMT class in or around Maryland where one can get certified to be a tactical EMT. I'm already an state certified EMT-B.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
What do you think a "tactical" emt class will do for you?

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
The idea that anything 5 days long teaches anything 'tactical' just screams money-making bs...also the tccc powerpoints are online and free to read if you want to save some money and realise how little is actually taught...maybe some pictures of people getting shot by snipers is worth the money.

Ive spent 12 years operating in various roles and I don't ever remember seeing or using the word tactical. My advise is do a paramedic course, or use the money to goto a country with a high volume of trauma patients and you'll benefit much more greatly.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
The idea that anything 5 days long teaches anything 'tactical' just screams money-making bs...also the tccc powerpoints are online and free to read if you want to save some money and realise how little is actually taught...maybe some pictures of people getting shot by snipers is worth the money.

Ive spent 12 years operating in various roles and I don't ever remember seeing or using the word tactical. My advise is do a paramedic course, or use the money to goto a country with a high volume of trauma patients and you'll benefit much more greatly.
NREMT sells subdued tactical patches, so it must be legit! Don't try to trick me and keep me out of your tacticool club. My bulletproof vest and fanny pack are ready to go.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
I wonder how long before you get paramedics responding to active shooter scenes dressed in the same way as PD (I know what you're thinking 'but i don't see any cops in this photo only trees')

zc529f7154.JPG

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Makes me wanna vomit

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
In all seriouness would the international school of tactical medicine be the closes you can get without joining the military or law enforcement SWAT medic?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
In all seriouness would the international school of tactical medicine be the closes you can get without joining the military or law enforcement SWAT medic?
I think the point is that none of these schools or certifications is going to matter as much to anyone seeking medical personnel for the few true "tactical" roles that exist. In that business more than perhaps any other, who you know, where you've been, and what experience you already have matters more than words and abbreviations on a resume.

My impression has always been if one really wants to get into this realm, military and possibly LE experience is a necessary pre-req. Particularly now that most jobs in these fields have dried up, any other shortcuts people are looking for just seem like attempts at avoiding the longer and more difficult path.

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
I think the point is that none of these schools or certifications is going to matter as much to anyone seeking medical personnel for the few true "tactical" roles that exist. In that business more than perhaps any other, who you know, where you've been, and what experience you already have matters more than words and abbreviations on a resume.

My impression has always been if one really wants to get into this realm, military and possibly LE experience is a necessary pre-req. Particularly now that most jobs in these fields have dried up, any other shortcuts people are looking for just seem like attempts at avoiding the longer and more difficult path.

Oh no i realize that and completely agree. Was just asking if their modules are something worth going to that anyone with the dough to drop on it assuming their department doesnt pay would be a suitable option. Of course it wont count as any type of certification or anything...

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Do not waste your time or money. If your department has tactical medics they will be trained by your cities SWAT team and work closely with them. Our tactical medics actually are used a ton for a number of different things, and when they arnt doing that, they are rotating between training and working normal ALS trucks.

OP
OP
D

dank

Forum Probie
So what you are telling me is that, an EMT off the street, who wants to be a tactical EMT needs no tactical experience, no formal training and will be able to pick up a tatical EMT position and the SWAT team will train you. Seems a little to far out there.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Do not waste your time or money. If your department has tactical medics they will be trained by your cities SWAT team and work closely with them. Our tactical medics actually are used a ton for a number of different things, and when they arnt doing that, they are rotating between training and working normal ALS trucks.
This. We go through a couple of outside classes, but nearly the entirety of our training is with our SWAT team. The BS card classes we go through really didn't teach anything that wasn't common sense; they're just a box to check.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
So what you are telling me is that, an EMT off the street, who wants to be a tactical EMT needs no tactical experience, no formal training and will be able to pick up a tatical EMT position and the SWAT team will train you. Seems a little to far out there.

Nope, you have to tryout and then pass all their training.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
I'd also hazard to use the term 'SWAT' loosely too. Some standards, training and members of swat swat teams are excellent, others are still called 'SWAT' but the only accurate part of that would be the 'special' part....