Tactical EMS

Nikki320

Forum Probie
Hi everyone i am just now going through medic school so i have a long ways to go. But i never have heard of tactical EMS before and it was brought up and sounded pretty cool! I was just wondering if anyone knew more info about this? Like do you have to go through a police academy and training like the swat members do? What exactly are the requirements? Do you carry a weapon? Do you go in with swat, or wait outside for someone to get hurt (because that would suck). Anyway i just thought that was kind of cool, and wanted to know more about it but i think it is fairly new so maybe that is why there isn't a lot of information about it on the web. Anyway any comments/help would be appreciated! Thanks!

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
It probably varies somewhat from department to department. I know the LA Sheriff tactical medics are all full deputies who've been through medic and PHTLS training. Not sure their protocol per se, but I believe they go in and function as members of the team until their medic skills are needed. They also rotate on the Air 5 SAR helicopter.

007medic

Forum Lieutenant
It is new in our area, and I have done some research seems as how I am about to marry a police officer for the 2nd time. (another story) Any way, from what I have gathered you do go though the complete police academy. You are the last man in, so you follow at the end of the line. You carry your gear, and assist anyone that needs medica assistance. You then (if everyone is ok) proced with the search as if you were there as an officer. If someone has to go the er, you will ride with them, and keep in contact in case they are to be put under arrest. This is how our area is doing things. They may be done different in other areas. From what I understand you will still answer to the medica director of the local EMS service, and follow their protocalls. The only problem that I see with that is in our area there are several rural places that the teams run in on, so there are a lot of protocalls to remember, and you have to remember what area you are in to determine what care you can provide. It is really a neat organization that they have created, and all of the drug task force members that I have spoken with think that it is a good idea, after all the pt/criminal may not get medical attention for an extended period of time due to the legalaties of the situation, so it helps them a lot. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me and I will help you as best I can.

OP
OP
N

Nikki320

Forum Probie
Oh my gosh this sounds so cool! Your answers are what i was hoping for! I was hoping it wasn't going to be that the paramedic just sits there waiting for someone to get hurt and if they do then they help them. I get to help people, AND have a gun! (lol, i'm just kidding) Wow, i know i have a long way to go because i am sure i have to have a lot of paramedic experience before i decide to do something like this! But, hopefully by the time i have aquired a lot of experience the system will be more developed! Thanks a lot guys! If anyone knows any additional info or if you have any websites i could look at about this, that would be great too!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You really need to talk to Luno about this. I believe he is certified TEMS and can answer all of your questions, but he hasn't been around much lately.

vtemti

Forum Captain
This is good! Legally take 'em apart and then put 'em back together. I like it! :D

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Nicole, I sent you back a rather lengthy e-mail, hope it answered your questions.
luke

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Just another little note. The police department I work for did not want a "sworn officer" on the team. Instead the medic is from outside, but still trains with the team.
The reasoning behind this particular mindset was legal issues and thoughts of "The Thin Blue Line" if a suspect AND and officer were shot on the same scene. Would an officer cross the thin blue line and treat the suspect over the officer?

I am not saying it is right or wrong, just the justification I was given.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Our Private EMS compoany is forming a Tactical EMS team. Right now their training is limited to having advanced knowledge of injuries PD may face when doing a raid / forced entry. They also have their own set of gear. I wish I could tell you more, but right now they're trying to find their direction.

The team is made of all medics, and they will not carry weapons. Since this is for a private service, TEMS will be a service we offer to the communities we serve.

Interesting stuff.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Flight-LP@Jul 10 2005, 12:40 AM
@Nikki- Here's a link to our advanced tactical team, it will give you some insight what a tactical medic does................

http://www.ccems.com/catt_team/

Hope this info helps.....................
Wow... Flight-LP.... didn't see you join.

Welcome. Sometime in the chatroom I'd like to hear your opinions of Cyprus Creek EMS.

Jon

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Here is another link. They are highly recommended. I know a ton of Tac guys both in Law Enforcement and EMS that have trained there.

APT Acdemy

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Flight LP, I took a look at Cyprus Creek, I remember something about them a couple of years back. I'd definitely be interested in talking to you about how the team works, especially interaction with other teams, configuration, etc... Sounds like a really good idea, but do you have difficulties with two tac teams in the same AO with different missions? What are your ROEs, and do you stand by and provide a backup med team, or how does that work? I guess I've never really heard of this approach before, so I'd be really interested in how it works. Thanks,
luke

Matt, I wish you guys the best with your med team, I'd definately say that until the situation is controlled, I wouldn't want to leave the cold zone without a weapon, but to each their own. I think you said the they were looking for direction currently, as you're working for a private service, there are multiple obstacles to forming a team like this. From a private standpoint, there are other issues as well, including what happens if your guys get wounded, what happens if/when friendly fire occurs (it's not uncommon), who pays for your team to train with the teams they support (from the tac team standpoint, if we don't train together, we don't enter together), who pays for the medic for all the SWAT/ERT callouts, and for all businesses, the return on investment for having to keep tac medics on staff. I don't really know whatelse to reccommend, but there are other private providers that have tac medics, so it's definitely a possibility, as a matter of fact, I think someone on the forum works for a service that does that already.

-luke

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Nikki320 said:
Hi everyone i am just now going through medic school so i have a long ways to go. But i never have heard of tactical EMS before and it was brought up and sounded pretty cool! I was just wondering if anyone knew more info about this? Like do you have to go through a police academy and training like the swat members do? What exactly are the requirements? Do you carry a weapon? Do you go in with swat, or wait outside for someone to get hurt (because that would suck). Anyway i just thought that was kind of cool, and wanted to know more about it but i think it is fairly new so maybe that is why there isn't a lot of information about it on the web. Anyway any comments/help would be appreciated! Thanks!
bump - for our new topic on the subject

SarahT

Forum Probie
SafetyPro said:
Not sure their protocol per se, but I believe they go in and function as members of the team until their medic skills are needed. They also rotate on the Air 5 SAR helicopter.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

That would be awesome! But it seems like you would be more into the law enforcement and not so much the EMT part. I had a really :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty shift tonight in the pharmacy, and when I was right about to leave a customer asked for a favor. Didn't want to, but I smiled and said sure. I faxed his report to some number. Turns out he was a cop. He was grateful, so I asked him about Tactical EMS. He said there were some programs out there, and that they were expensive, and then listed a few near me. Didn't mention companies paying for it. But he did say that you don't need to be in law enforcement.

Thanks for the bump on this :) Good read.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Sarah, you don't have to be in LE, but it depends on the area that you're in, the schools aren't terribly expensive, but some have some restrictions on who can go, i.e. Mil/LEO type restrictions. If you're a commissioned officer, CONTOMS is the granddaddy of TEMS, and a great place to start, I'm debating getting a reserve commission just to go.... You don't have to have a badge to be TEMS, but you may need one to practice it, especially stateside.