T-Minus Five Days

Observer101

Forum Ride Along
Hey all,

My name's Jenn and I am about to start EMT-B training this upcoming Saturday and am slightly nervous. After going through so much red tape, I decided to dive straight in and just foot the larger bill than wait around for my local EMS house to begin a EMT-B class.

I was just getting so frustrated by waiting around and getting the run around from JCEMS saying one thing and then jump to another. Also, there isn't a lot of options for EMT school in Central KY without driving two-three hours from where I live. I just have to say that I am very happy that my family is supporting me through schooling, well actually double schooling as I am also a full time online college student through Bluegrass Community & Technical College here in Lexington, KY.

Another thing I find frustrating is the lack of EMT schools in Central KY OUTSIDE the KCTCS system. I will be going through training with Emergency Medical Training Professionals in Lexington, KY. Too me, that option was the lesser of two evils even if it is about $1,500 OUT OF POCKET to attend; that's INCLUDING the tuition, books, and testing fees. I strongly believe that for the price of $850.00 tuition, that should INCLUDE the BOOKS, and UNIFORMS!! Nevertheless, it is better than waiting to one only knows when for the Jessamine County EMS to make up their minds about having or not having another EMT-B class.

Okay enough ranting, LOL, I just needed to get that off of my chest :)

On a bright note, my best friend and soon to be wife has decided to take the class with me!! I am a bit nervous, especially when it comes time for ride a longs. In the end, I know that everything will work out.

I do have some questions and was wondering if any of ya'll have any advice for a EMT student?

Tommerag

What day is it?
Welcome to the site.

I do have to say $1500 for EMT-B class? Holy crap that expensive, I paid $400 for mine. When you say they pay for your testing fees, does that include paying your NREMT test fee? Even so that is only $70. How long is the class?

Just pay attention in class, it's not to difficult of a class to get through. If you aren't sure about something, ask. Also just remember your ABC's, BSI, and scene safety. Youll do fine.

OP
OP
Observer101

Observer101

Forum Ride Along
Welcome to the site.

I do have to say $1500 for EMT-B class? Holy crap that expensive, I paid $400 for mine. When you say they pay for your testing fees, does that include paying your NREMT test fee? Even so that is only $70. How long is the class?

Just pay attention in class, it's not to difficult of a class to get through. If you aren't sure about something, ask. Also just remember your ABC's, BSI, and scene safety. Youll do fine.

The tuition price only includes the Skills test and by the time I get uniform stuff and what not, it'd be about $1,600 bucks..luckily it is all paid for with help :). I am so excited to finally get started!!! The class is four months long and starts March 26th. I think that the cost is so high b/c of the insurance you get through the school during ride alongs.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The tuition price only includes the Skills test

Still....you're getting ripped off.

I think that the cost is so high b/c of the insurance you get through the school during ride alongs.

You do realize that even for a paramedic a multi-million dollar malpractice insurance policy is only like $150 a year right?

I strongly believe that for the price of $850.00 tuition, that should INCLUDE the BOOKS, and UNIFORMS!!

....and a catered meal and transportation to class and....

I do have some questions and was wondering if any of ya'll have any advice for a EMT student?

Relax and remember it's a glorified first aid class and the unless you're retarded or otherwise brain damaged, you should be able to pass with minimal difficulty. That doesn't say a whole lot about the field you're getting into but that's another can of worms....

OP
OP
Observer101

Observer101

Forum Ride Along
Still....you're getting ripped off.

You do realize that even for a paramedic a multi-million dollar malpractice insurance policy is only like $150 a year right?

....and a catered meal and transportation to class and....

Relax and remember it's a glorified first aid class and the unless you're retarded or otherwise brain damaged, you should be able to pass with minimal difficulty. That doesn't say a whole lot about the field you're getting into but that's another can of worms....

Hahaha I was WEAK but it is true what you said...for that price it should include all of that..LOL And no, I didn't know that about the malpractice insurance policy.

Joe

Forum Captain
I have to admit, my emt class was about 1200 or so. But that included everything from the first day of class till I got my county card and adc. Of course that was spread out over quite a few months. Good luck and have fun. Emt class was a blast!

Sunyata

Forum Probie
Oh wow... $1500. That is a little ridiculous. I think I paid $150 to go through my EMT-B Class...

But besides that, I think it is awesome that you are taking the initiative to take the class. You will have a blast. And just relax and go with the flow. As long as you pay attention and enjoy the material, you will have no problem passing the test. :)

Good luck!

Strap

Forum Crew Member
The EMT-B program at a community college in Alabama costs almost $1400 just for tuition. Doesn't include books or uniforms. It does include CPR and EVOC certification.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The EMT-B program at a community college in Alabama costs almost $1400 just for tuition. Doesn't include books or uniforms.

For that kind of money, honestly you'd be better off applying it to a career with a future that doesn't involve low pay and :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty hours.

It does include CPR and EVOC certification.

As if those justify a jacked up price. LOL

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I totaled out less than $1000, if I remember correctly for my Basic and Intermediate. Why won't your station pay for your certification if they won't make a class available to you?

Like everyone said, it's not rocket science. Ask questions, don't sleep in class or you will be squirted with a squirt gun. Well, thats how my Intermediate instructor went about it anyways haha.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Why won't your station pay for your certification if they won't make a class available to you?

Because a lot of volunteer departments don't have that kind of cash available.