Switching from RN to paramedic (Australia)

OzRn

Forum Ride Along
Hey all

I'm just about to finish my Nursing degree here in Australia. I'm male, 24 next week and have been nursing in lesser roles for a couple of years now.

Unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that nursing just isn't for me. I have no interest in staying in this field, dealing with the ":censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:" culture, cattiness and dehumanising hospital politics and hierarchies. Heavy workload, shift work and long hours I have no problem with.

So is the pre-hospital world any better? How's your level of autonomy, generally speaking? I am seriously considering switching careers to paramedic, considering I already work in healthcare and don't feel the need to go and retrain in a disparate field. I am attracted to physical work, work well under stress and like to keep busy.

Here in NSW, I'm told if you're an RN with acute care experience you can take the fast track and a higher entry salary. Of course I'd have to wait a couple of years until I get my full license but I could use that extra time to broaden my clinical experience.

So, got any advice or suggestions about making the transition from RN to EMT/paramedic?

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey all

I'm just about to finish my Nursing degree here in Australia. I'm male, 24 next week and have been nursing in lesser roles for a couple of years now.

Unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that nursing just isn't for me. I have no interest in staying in this field, dealing with the ":censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:" culture, cattiness and dehumanising hospital politics and hierarchies. Heavy workload, shift work and long hours I have no problem with.

So is the pre-hospital world any better? How's your level of autonomy, generally speaking? I am seriously considering switching careers to paramedic, considering I already work in healthcare and don't feel the need to go and retrain in a disparate field. I am attracted to physical work, work well under stress and like to keep busy.

Here in NSW, I'm told if you're an RN with acute care experience you can take the fast track and a higher entry salary. Of course I'd have to wait a couple of years until I get my full license but I could use that extra time to broaden my clinical experience.

So, got any advice or suggestions about making the transition from RN to EMT/paramedic?

G'day.

If you are sick of hospital work and the politics involved, pre-hospital might be for you.

I reckon Paramedics in Australia are very close skills wise to Emergency RN's. The difference is there is only 2 of us un a truck and we have to assessments. diagnose and treat using array of drugs without a doctor or other staff for input. The job is very autonomous. All day its just you and your partner making the decisions. Don't like certain staff members? no problems you will only see them when you are at hospital.

Paramedic work isnt all peachy either. Long shifts, rarely finishing on time, lack of meal breaks can all be annoying but here in QLD were are compensated well with a good award. Here in QLD they allow good reasoning and clinical judgement. e have protocols as guidelines but if you can justify not giving a drug or using one for a certain reason you will be supported.

Any questions, shoot away.

McGoo

Forum Crew Member
St John in Perth is running a program (that might have closed for entries) for acute nursing RNs to switch over to paramedicine. It's three months of induction school (practical training), and then 9 months on road, and then you are certified. It's only just started, Im not even sure they have made it to induction school yet, and Im not sure how well adjusted they will be when they come out (even as paramedics- normally it's three years before you are a paramedic), but time will tell.