Suspended for possible policy violation...

OP
OP
AVALANCHE

AVALANCHE

Forum Probie
Thanks for all of the info and replies everyone!

I was able to contact OC EMS and they DO NOT require an EMT with an RN in the patient compartment. However in LA County they do.

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
I have only one question why did u need an RN? Can your medic not perform ALS skills interfacility?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I have only one question why did u need an RN? Can your medic not perform ALS skills interfacility?
I would hazard a guess that the particular county they were operating in does not allow ALS IFTs by Paramedics, so an RN would have to take those calls where the patient must be monitored by someone with > BLS level capability, in other words, someone authorized to provide > EMT level care in that county.

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
Ok thanks

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Here we occasionally have an RN or MD from a hospital accompany on high acuity transfers. We have our own CCT unit, but because the RN works for/has been trained by the company they are allowed to accompany a patient without another EMT in the patient compartment. However if personnel from outside the company are attending, then we always require an EMT or medic to be with them in the patient compartment at all times. The reasoning is that WE know what's in the back of the ambulance and how to work it (even something as simple as the lights or AC) and others do not.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Here we occasionally have an RN or MD from a hospital accompany on high acuity transfers. We have our own CCT unit, but because the RN works for/has been trained by the company they are allowed to accompany a patient without another EMT in the patient compartment. However if personnel from outside the company are attending, then we always require an EMT or medic to be with them in the patient compartment at all times. The reasoning is that WE know what's in the back of the ambulance and how to work it (even something as simple as the lights or AC) and others do not.
When I was in the field, our own in-house policies were similar, however we always required 2 "field" certified personnel to be on-board the ambulance anytime we were using it. Most of our RN personnel didn't have current EMT or Paramedic certs. Any time we had a patient in the back being attended to by non-company Nurses, RTs or MDs, we had to have a company EMT or Paramedic in the back.