Supplemental classes

Red Shirt 6

Forum Probie
One of the local Community Colleges is offering supplemental classes for their EMT and Paramedic Program Some of the classes offered are First Responder, Ambulance Operations, NREMT Test Prep among other things. Are these classes like these only extra cash for the college and everything is covered in the full course or are they useful for a student? For example will taking these classes result higher pay, helpful in getting a job, offers training not covered in an average college program?
The college recommends most of them as concurrent enrolment.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
FR and AO are covered in your EMT curriculum. Test prep is good if you aren’t doing well.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
First responder would be redundant. It's a lower certification than EMT.

Ambulance Operations might be helpful for someone who is new depending on what is covered.

None of them will help you get jobs or better pay. But they may help you prepare for your future job or testing.

OP
OP
R

Red Shirt 6

Forum Probie
Thank You, I was thing the classes offered are redundant.
The Ambulance Operations is driving closed/obstacle course, proper gurney operation and key safety matters pertaining to the use of lights and sirens.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Ambulance Operations should be in every EMT course. If they separated it, then they found an added revenue generator for themselves.

Every EMT course I have taught always included EVOC and stretcher training. So I would ask, is this included in the main class? If it is not included, then yes, I would recommend it.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
My EMT class didn't spend very much time on ambulance Ops. We had a stretcher and a basic "squeeze the red to make it move" class, though those were more afterthoughts, there was definitely no driving involved.

They basically said all of that would be taught by whichever company we ended up working for (and some were good with a week or two of new hire training going over all that and full on cone courses... some checked your pulse and card and then tossed you the keys saying you had a pickup pending at the dialysis clinic...)