Sunstar - Pinellas County, FL

pogoemt

Forum Crew Member
This subforum seems like the best place to post this, so here goes.

I am an 18 year old recently certified EMT-B living in Tampa Florida, just a hop across the Howard Franklin to SunStar. I am interested in working at SunStar as a part-time EMT-B (I assume I'll be doing a lot of vitals and driving since SunStar is an ALS provider)

I am interested in working for SunStar because they provide ALS care and I will get more exposure to ALS situations, this will help me learn and also decide if I want to go the Paramedic route.

The 2 big questions I have right now are:
  1. Is SunStar flexible with their minimum age of 20 requirement?
  2. Is SunStar able to help me get transportation? I don't own a car and will not be able to for the next year roughly. I am ok with taking a taxi, uber, etc. but it would cost a couple hours worth of pay just to get to and from work. I know this seems a little ridiculous, but you never know until you ask.
Granted, I am not in EMS for the money, it would just be nice to get some of my paycheck for transportation covered.

If someone that currently works for or used to work for SunStar could respond to this, that would be great.

Also feel free to discuss SunStar on this topic, the more I know going in, the better.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
I took the bus, train, walked for my jobs until I got a motorcycle to commute with. No company will subsidize a new hire's transportation in an entry level position. This is something you'll have to budget for.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'd gather that the 20 year old minimum age is an insurance requirement.

And why would anyone hire an employee without reliable transportation?

Good luck adulting without a car.

OP
OP
P

pogoemt

Forum Crew Member
I'd gather that the 20 year old minimum age is an insurance requirement.

And why would anyone hire an employee without reliable transportation?

Good luck with adulting without a car.

The car thing is a school policy, I could buy one right now but I'm not allowed to have it on campus. I could probably figure out transportation (Tampa just started a ferry service to St. Pete)

The bigger issue is my age requirement, because the only thing that could fix that would be a year and some change lol

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The car thing is a school policy, I could buy one right now but I'm not allowed to have it on campus. I could probably figure out transportation (Tampa just started a ferry service to St. Pete)

The bigger issue is my age requirement, because the only thing that could fix that would be a year and some change lol

Yeah, I'd say you're stuck with that. Most places won't hire EMTs under 20 (or 21 here) because they're cost prohibitive or uninsurable.

And I know I sounded snarky about the car thing, but one of the first questions asked is "do you have reliable transportation to work?" If you answer anything other than "yes, I have a car" you go to the bottom of the stack.

OP
OP
P

pogoemt

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, I'd say you're stuck with that. Most places won't hire EMTs under 20 (or 21 here) because they're cost prohibitive or uninsurable.

And I know I sounded snarky about the car thing, but one of the first questions asked is "do you have reliable transportation to work?" If you answer anything other than "yes, I have a car" you go to the bottom of the stack.

no worries, I didn't take it as snarky, just realistic