Suggestions from any other lady EMT's?

Epi-do

I see dead people
You arent supposed to lift while pregnant

Ummm, not entirely true. It depends upon alot of different factors. If you are healthy, and are having an uncomplicated pregnancy most OBs will tell you that you will be able to continue doing anything that you are currently used to doing until it becomes uncomfortable for you. There are a few exceptions, but lifting generally isn't one of them.

When I was pregnant with my son, my plan was to continue working on my truck as long as I was able to comfortably do so and my OB was cool with that. We talked about what my job required and he told me that there was no reason why I would not be able to continue working for most of my pregnancy if that is what I wanted to do. However, at eight weeks I began having alot of cramping. Since I had already had two miscarriages prior, it was light duty for me for the rest of my pregnancy. I just didn't want to feel like I had done something to cause it if I were to miscarry again, which, fortunately did not happen.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
also, preggers? i guess we're not a collection of medical professionals after all.....

My hero!!!!! God I hate the word preggers

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
My husband is having a vasectomy reversal on 12/09 (if you know my IRL, don't tell anyone ;))

Assuming I get pregnant, I will be on the truck til 13 weeks when I will have a cerclage put it, then have to go on light duty until put on medical leave and/or give birth. My doc won't allow me to stay on a truck longer than 13 weeks, especially since I had a complicated second pregnancy. My company does not appear to have a policy regarding a pregnant EMT.

I will go back on the truck @ 8-12 weeks post partum... all of this assuming that I can even get pregnant.

tatersalad

Forum Crew Member
Good Luck EC!

Sasha

Forum Chief
as a rotund emt, im mildly offended by the previous comment, but i'll overlook that and just focus on the medicine.

the padding around my midsection is from years of bad diet and high carb beer. being kicked, punched, having the stretcher rammed into it etc etc might be uncomfortable but it wont kill or even hurt me. you're proposing working right up until you deliver with a fetus on board. comparing the two is asinine.

continuing to work for a period of time determined by condition is one thing but i just cant see how you inted to do a triple decker carry down with a third trimester baby. and as i've said before, i wouldnt do any of your work on top of mine. thats not fair to me. i think you'll be rethinking that position oh....right about 20 weeks ish.

also, preggers? i guess we're not a collection of medical professionals after all.....

Not to mention, fat bends, baby fetus doesnt :p!

Kev, you, are my hero! Preggers and Preggo are two words that grate on my nerves greatly <3

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Ummm, not entirely true. It depends upon alot of different factors. If you are healthy, and are having an uncomplicated pregnancy most OBs will tell you that you will be able to continue doing anything that you are currently used to doing until it becomes uncomfortable for you. There are a few exceptions, but lifting generally isn't one of them.
QUOTE]

Thats interesting, when I was pregnant, I worked at a fast food restauraunt and wasnt even allowed to lift a 40lb box of roast beef to put it away, per my OB. I think he would have had a heart attack if I had been in EMS, and asking to lift heavy 150lb people and 80lb stretchers.

Edited to clarify: No, therre are no little Sashas running around. Pregnancy ended in a miscarriage.

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
heres a stunning, newly discovered medical fact thats worth mentioning:

*every patient, and every case with that patient, is different*

what does this mean for this discussion? well, it means that what may be just dandy for one patient may be horribly risky for another due to physical differences. so becuase one person can only do light duty work while carrying a fetus, another may be physically capable of lumberjacking. no two patients are the same.....

or, in simpler terms, agree to disagree.