Stupid Parents

Veneficus

Forum Chief
This is why family and people that have no medical training in general need to stop self medicating. These people have no clue how much actually goes into these medicines and if you give the improper dose to someone or god forbid they have an anaphylactic reaction to the medication then it will do much more harm then good. Oh well, stupidity keeps us in business.

You realize this is prescribed for a reason?

We cannot hospitalize every patient that takes a medication at home in order to avoid the dangers.

People on digoxin, opioids, and B-blockers, and warfarin to name just a few, would be in the hospital for life.

Sometimes bad things happen. It is life.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
This is why family and people that have no medical training in general need to stop self medicating. These people have no clue how much actually goes into these medicines and if you give the improper dose to someone or god forbid they have an anaphylactic reaction to the medication then it will do much more harm then good. Oh well, stupidity keeps us in business.

So we should hospitalized every pt who has to take a medication because something "bad" might happen?

How do you propose this be done?

The argument you use here can also apply to basics and some intermediates. How can a course a couple hundred hours long give you enough information/education to administer some of these medications. The family could actually do more than the basic in the scenario you give. I may be wrong but benadryl is a medic drug most places and not all basics can give epi. (ems regardless of level would have the upper hand in airway....hopefully)

I don't want to bash basics or turn this thread into that but wanted to point out that the family can actually do more.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm guessing Brandon was thinking about families trying to figure out stuff rather than strictly following instructions and calling (calling whom?) if they forget or things look or seem wrong.

Had two sisters in their late sixties who were taking care of their invalid mother , chronically obtunded and diabetic. The mom was around 450 lbs of comatose loose flab and bones because the two could not organize their care, missing meals (sitting pt up and sponfeeding, and later feeding NG tube), and then doubling the feeding, and doing the same with insulin. (My partner injured his back when we and two firefighters had to carry her on her side to make it down the narrow hall with a 90 deg angle).