Studying Techniques

ellesbelles23

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone,

I just started my EMT-B course and am not doing that well. I understand all of the material am studying every day and night, but didn't do well on the quiz today. There are online multiple choice quizzes for every chapter and I'm also for the most part not doing that great. I'm trying every study technique that I've done in college and has worked, but it isn't helping. All of this put together is incredibly frustrating, because I know the material and I'm studying non-stop. Do any of you have any advice on how to study or things I should be doing?

Thanks,
Ella

nwhitney

Forum Captain
First thing I would suggest is to talk with your instructor. Ask her/him for advice to be successful in class.

Are you asking questions in class? In a study group? How are you studying? Are you taking other classes at the time? What's your life like outside of school? Work? Family? Other stresses?

There are many variables that affect how we learn so don't focus solely on study techniques. People also learn differently and are often a blend of learning styles. Do you know the best way for you to learn? Hands on? Lecture?

I know this may sound silly but sit in the front row if possible. I find as a student I'm more engaged in the lecture/discussion portion. Also surround yourself with successful classmates and ask them what they are doing.

Don't be afraid to ask questions in class no matter how stupid you think the question is. You're paying (I assume) to be there so do everything you can to be successful.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
It might also be a good idea to ask the instructor for the class average. You might not be doing as poorly as you think. For instance if you have a 68 and the class average is a 75 then it may be more of a problem with the tests.
Another thing you might want to look at is your comprehension of the questions themselves. I have a really hard time with questions at times. I can read a question 3 times answer it even when I know the answer and get it wrong because I missed a "and" or an "or" in a question or answer. The best way to avoid this I've found is to just really take your time and reread the questions several times. Then at the end go back through if possible and read the answers and see if they match the questions.
Hope this helps.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
What really worked well for me was, as I read through the chapters, I made flash cards of key terms and concepts. My wife would then quiz me using my flashcards. By the end of class I had over 1000 flashcards. It was labor intensive but worth it. I had the highest grade in my class.

For the flashcards, I bought a box of Sparknotes blank cards for 10 bucks at Barnes and Noble.

103181298.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ellesbelles23

ellesbelles23

Forum Ride Along
hey,

thanks for your help guys.

nwhitney, this is the only course i'm taking. i do having family stress, but i try to make that a minimum. i talk with the instructor and am going to meet with him for tutoring. i take notes in class and out of class. i learn from lecture and stuff we do online. it doesn't sound silly at all; front row is always a good idea. class is still pretty new, but i've met a couple cool people that seem like they know their thing.

you guys have helped. thanks for responding.

e.

OP
OP
ellesbelles23

ellesbelles23

Forum Ride Along
hey sandog,

for this quiz i made flashcards, but they were in a hurry and not that great. also, hardly any of them covered the material on the test. so i gave up on flashcards, but after reading your post, i think i'll put much more effort and time-consumption into making them. nothing seems to be working for me, so i'll try that. thanks so much. i really appreciate all the help.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Every bold word gets a flashcard. Takes a lot of time but also pays off.

And at the end of class, you have study cards for the NREMT.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
- Flash cards are extremely helpful for me

- Micro breaks. When you learn something substantial like an entire concept, sit and think about it.

- Visualize it! Putting words to visual images in your head will strengthen memory. If it's a technique or a set of steps, imagine yourself carrying them out.

- Multiple sources. Study your book next to a computer and or with other books. If the book isn't clear or it's a difficult/intriguing topic, look it up online. The more sources you read about the same thing the better you'll learn.

- Don't study too much. Get 7-8 hours of sleep, eat well, and exercise! This will all strengthen your memory. Your brain isn't really meant to take in information for hours and hours. Studying for an hour, 10 minute break. Repeat.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Studying technique depends on what you're studying...

For pharmacology, get a whiteboard, draw a grid on it in permanent marker, and then with a dry erase write in your different medications, indications, contraindications, side effects, precautions, dosages, and administration methods. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over, until you can do it from memory.

For A&P, I always found it helpful to just use my own body instead of cards or drawings. For example, for remembering the skeletal system I would start at my head and name the regions of my skull, pointing at them as I did. Then move onto my face, chest, arms, etc. Odd, but it worked for me.

For terminology, good old flashcards are your best bet. Make 'em, take 'em everywhere, and any time you have a spare moment, pull them out and work through them.

For practical testing, I studied in the shower. (Haha!) We were given a basic scenario outline to study with, and I got it laminated and would run through it 2-3 times every morning in the shower. Plus then when I studied outside the shower I could use a dry erase marker, fill in my own scenario with made up vitals and S/S, and then use it to practice working through problems as they presented themselves.

For everything else, nothing beats good old reading your notes. However, generally your brain tends to remember things better if you write them down instead of reading them, so do this: Take your notes, study them for a few days. Then taken an afternoon, go through all your notes and make a second set of notes consisting only of things that you don't easily understand or remember. Then study from these for a few days, and do it again. Keep doing it every few days until you're down to less than page. Study these, then start over if time permits. It definitely takes a significant investment of time, but it is seriously invaluable in memorizing things that your brain would skip over if you were just reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

MFlightmed

Forum Ride Along
Reading ahead highlighting what will be important. Take notes during lectures. Flash cards really helped me. There's an app on smartphones, so you can take them anywhere. I created scenarios that helped me memorize things.
Like memorizing how the heart worked, I made a story out of it. I'll never forge the story! If you want it had enough you'll get creative! Find a study partner and quiz eachother.

JPINFV

Gadfly
For terminology, the most important thing is to use the words. Talking to other EMT students? Use the fancy words. For example, it's not high blood pressure, it's hypertension. The it's not "the patient isn't breathing." The patient is "apneic." Medical school doesn't require or teach a medical terminology course... it's an education by immersion.

PVC

Forum Crew Member
I use a lot of techniques.

I read and outline each of the chapters of the book.
I record the reading an play it back during drive time.
I make flow charts.
I study flash cards.
I work the free internet test over and over until I get them all right.
When possible I get someone to read questions to me for me to answer out loud.

I think it is important for you to figure out how you learn and practice in the appropriate format.

As others have mentioned, talk to your instructor and see what he/she recommends.

OP
OP
ellesbelles23

ellesbelles23

Forum Ride Along
Wow. I'm getting so much great advice. I was so frustrated because I have my BA and all of those studying techniques definitely don't apply to EMS. Highlighting and flashcards are definitely the way to go. I totally love hearing all your responses. It just gives me more help and I need it. This is definitely not college. It's much better. Thanks again.