Study tips for online EMS classes

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
I'll start off by saying I'm taking the Advanced EMT course online. I work two part time jobs - one in an office and one for my department so I don't have the time to go to an actual classroom for the course.

The class is laid out by each chapter and the AAOS book. Each chapter has the powerpoint, a quiz, and a recorded lecture.

When I sit down to read the chapter, I have a really hard time comprehending what I read. I've always been the type who learns by 'doing' and not reading.

What I usually resort to doing is just watching the recorded lecture and move on to the quiz and eventually the section test. I don't take notes from the chapter.. I really don't do anything but watch the lecture and skim the chapter for vocabulary and whatever catches my eye.

My current grade is an 80.1%. You need an 80% or higher to pass. I'm only on chapter 10, and figure if there's anytime to change my study habits, now would be the best time to do it.

My question is: What would be the best way to study online. Notes? Highlighting? I'm just looking for ideas and opinions.

Thanks a lot,

Dan

Audrey Lane

Forum Ride Along
Hey Dan.
I'm not taking EMS classes online, but I've taken a number of other courses online. I'm also the type of person who learns by 'doing' rather than reading; I learn better by reading than by hearing; video lectures without reading material is the WORST for me.
I've found that taking notes works well for me. Taking handwritten notes works better for me than typing notes on the laptop. There's something about being physically engrossed in what I'm learning that helps my retention. In fact, my notes are usually much more detailed when I'm learning online (despite the fact that all the info is available for me to review in electronic form) than when I'm in a different setting.
Having a good, quiet spot free from distractions is important for me, too.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Read out load. It helps a lot!

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
When I sit down to read the chapter, I have a really hard time comprehending what I read. I've always been the type who learns by 'doing' and not reading.

Even without knowing you at all, I would be willing to bet that comprehension is not your problem at all, but that you have trouble focusing when reading challenging material. I have the same problem. It's pretty common these days; we've all thoroughly conditioned ourselves to have a short attention span for written material by constantly reading lots of short blurbs on the internet and rarely sticking with the same topic for more than a few minutes.

Instead of simply "reading" the text, take notes from it. Try to find 1 or 2 important points from each paragraph and put it in outline format. Then read over your outline to study before exams.

Unfortunately, there is no way to learn the foundational, didactic info that we need to have in order to do our jobs well, by "doing". Studying is just part of deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
Even without knowing you at all, I would be willing to bet that comprehension is not your problem at all, but that you have trouble focusing when reading challenging material. I have the same problem. It's pretty common these days; we've all thoroughly conditioned ourselves to have a short attention span for written material by constantly reading lots of short blurbs on the internet and rarely sticking with the same topic for more than a few minutes.

Instead of simply "reading" the text, take notes from it. Try to find 1 or 2 important points from each paragraph and put it in outline format. Then read over your outline to study before exams.
Unfortunately, there is no way to learn the foundational, didactic info that we need to have in order to do our jobs well, by "doing". Studying is just part of deal.

Ding, ding, ding. I think you hit the nail on the head there. After reading through that, I think you're right. I read the difficult subject matter, and my mind begins to wander in another direction and I end up getting little done.

I'll go buy a spiral notebook and try your note writing in an outline format out. I appreciate the advice!

OP
OP
D

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
Hey Dan.
I'm not taking EMS classes online, but I've taken a number of other courses online. I'm also the type of person who learns by 'doing' rather than reading; I learn better by reading than by hearing; video lectures without reading material is the WORST for me.
I've found that taking notes works well for me. Taking handwritten notes works better for me than typing notes on the laptop. There's something about being physically engrossed in what I'm learning that helps my retention. In fact, my notes are usually much more detailed when I'm learning online (despite the fact that all the info is available for me to review in electronic form) than when I'm in a different setting.
Having a good, quiet spot free from distractions is important for me, too.

Hey Audrey, yours and Halo's kind of go hand in hand. Another part of my problem is watching the lectures in the living room with headphones on, but while my family is watching TV. I'll get out of there and try a different spot. Thanks for the tips!

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I've taken online classes, not my EMT or Paramedic courses but General Education courses. That made it harder cause it wasn't something I was super interested in.

My best tips are this

1. Find a quiet place to study, with no distractions, Your bedroom, a extra living room, kitchen, hell the bathroom. I have a spare room in my house thats like an extra living room. Its got all the gadgets of a normal living room but noone really goes in there so I use that for my study.

2. Set a specific time, for yourself to study and stick to it. Lets say you have between 9pm and 11pm to yourself make that your study time Its easy to get behind on online studies cause you have more time to complete the class work.

3. Seek and find a personal mentor so to speak if you have a coworker or a personal friend who has a EMT-I or P cert asking for help to understand what you are reading could be beneficial